What can you do on a rainy day at home?
Sometimes when the weather stinks, it can mentally throw us off. But instead of spending the day twiddling your thumbs, try one of these amazing things to do on a rainy day!
Here you’ll find self-care ideas and productive activities, plus fun for adults, the whole family, and even outside!
This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you. See my disclaimer for more info.
But here’s the great part: these activities work well for any reason that you are inside. So, if you’re inside on a snowy day or for health reasons, pull out this list then too!
Self-Care Rainy Day Activities
First, one of the best things to do on a rainy day is to take care of yourself. So, start with a few from the list below before reading on.
1. Take a bubble bath.
2. Write five positive affirmations down. Say them to yourself. Now, stick them where you can see them.
4. Make a list of things you are grateful for. We all need to be reminded of how much good is in our lives.
5. Have an at-home spa day.
6. Make yourself a self-care kit for the future.
7. Workout inside. Youtube offers tons of free content: from yoga to dancing. Or sign up for a digital workout app like Peloton. (Or head to the local gym if you’re a member)
8. Do your nails.
9. Pull out an adult coloring book and get coloring.
10. Order or try out a new makeup product.
11. Make a cup of your favorite coffee and read a fun book.
12. Do a brain dump. Get everything that’s swirling out of your head.
13. Write in your journal. Describe your day, emotions, to-do list, blessings, or anything that comes to mind.
16. Just SIT. And enjoy one of your favorite simple pleasures.
17. Call a loved one for a chat.
19. Cuddle with a pet.
20. Write a letter to your future self.
21. Do a digital detox. Decide that it’s time for a phone break. And connect with yourself instead.
22. Listen to your favorite music. Or try something new like binaural beats.
23. Turn on your essential oils. It’s time to get that diffuser going!
24. Create a self-love list. Write 10 things you love about yourself.
25. Look at old photos. Indulging in past memories makes us feel good.
26. Make your own mini zen garden. (Or buy one HERE)
27. Create a list of inspiring people in your life and possible mentors. Schedule a get-together with at least one person off of this list.
28. Print off amazing self-care resources in my free library:
Productive Things to Do on a Rainy Day
Next, use this great opportunity to get organized, find clarity, and make your life a little brighter.
30. Listen to a podcast.
31. Listen to an audiobook.
32. Organize or clean out a room in your home.
33. Start the free “Get Your Life Back” Challenge to streamline and make life easier.
34. Plan your upcoming vacations.
35. Map out your goals. What do you want to accomplish this year?
38. Meal prep something healthy. (Putting together a few salads for the week could be what you need to take charge of your health)
42. Declutter your living spaces.
44. Re-stock your home’s main supplies. (Toilet paper, cleaning supplies, toothpaste, spices, anything you know you’ll need).
45. Start a small home improvement project. Paint the bathroom. Buy a hanger for the front entryway. Do something that spruces things up without a lot of effort.
46. Look over your budget. Pay bills. Organize any financial papers that need to be sorted.
47. Strategize how to save smarter. Make a plan. (Now that you have a clear view of your budget)
48. Organize your digital life. Delete old downloads. Back up your computer. And clear out the clutter.
49. Unsubscribe from email and social media that’s not useful to you.
51. Set reminders for upcoming birthdays. Purchase any gifts needed.
52. Put a few new books on hold at your local library.
53. Upgrade a skill. (For work or here are fun hobbies for women)
54. Plan your week ahead. The best way to follow through on your priorities is to have a clear schedule for them.
55. Schedule appointments needed.
56. Organize your workspace. Make it a clean, inspiring, and productive place to work.
57. Update your resume. Change the date and add new experiences. Make it easier to have it when you need it!
58. Declutter your papers. Go digital on what you can.
59. Pare down your closet to create a capsule wardrobe.
60. Research professional development opportunities in your field.
61. Learn keyboard shortcuts to make work easier. Here are some important ones>>
62. Organize and price for an upcoming garage/yard sale.
Fun Things to Do For Adults on a Rainy Day
Now, these rainy day things to do are meant to keep your spirits up and add a little fun to your life. (They also make for great activities during Covid!)
63. Make a fancy at-home coffee.
64. Make a fun cocktail.
65. Try a fun new food recipe.
66. Do a puzzle.
67. Splurge on new takeout.
68. Send your partner a flirty text. Even if you are in the same place.
69. Make your favorite comfort food. Lasagna anyone!?
70. Learn something new on Youtube. We have spent a ridiculous amount of time watching these squirrels…
71. Do one new thing to get out of your comfort zone.
72. Create a postpartum gift basket for a new mom.
73. Make your adult bucket list to fit the season! (Find a list of helpful posts in the kid section below!) Or make one big life bucket list.
74. Plan your dream vacation. If you could go anywhere, where would it be? And what would you do?
75. Gather things to donate, and drop them off. It feels so good to physically let go of what you don’t need.
76. Make a fun music playlist.
77. Watch a movie or tv series you’ve been wanting to watch.
79. Clean your makeup brushes.
80. Swap out your seasonal decorations and candles.
81. Read your favorite blogs.
82. Re-arrange your furniture.
83. Start learning to play the guitar or piano.
84. Put positive affirmations on your phone that pop up during the day. (Seeing “You are healthy and beautiful” is a fantastic way to start every morning.)
85. Make a fun flavored water.
86. Start a garden inside. Plant a pot of fresh herbs on your counter or plan and prepare for a few pots outside when the weather is nicer.
87. Get ahead on your holiday gift list. Keep track of your gifts HERE>
Rainy Day Things to Do With Kids & Family
If you are home with your family or partner, these ideas are perfect!
88. Bake to your heart’s delight.
89. Have a movie fort day. Don’t forget the popcorn and snacks!
90. Put together an amazing tea party.
91. Do some family bonding. Try these crazy fun questions:
- Super Fun Questions to Ask Family and Friends
- Best Clean Never have I Ever Questions for Kids
- The How Well Do You Know Me Quiz
92. Paint your nails in different colors.
93. Turn up the music and have a dance party.
94. Play a board or card game.
95. Help your kids learn good habits (and help around the house more) with a morning routine chart.
96. Make a fun photo book of your family.
97. Print these reward printable coupons to motivate kids.
98. Make a card or small gift for a neighbor, friend, or teacher.
100. Start a new ritual or tradition with your kids.
101. Stick a few love notes under your kids’ pillows.
102. Create family goals.
103. Have a family meeting. Touch base on important things going on like the calendar, family chores to do, and the budget.
104. Make homemade jam or jelly together.
105. Start learning a new language together.
106. Adopt a new pet (or maybe just a fish).
107. Introduce your kids to your favorite childhood cartoons.
108. Start a fun read-aloud.
109. Create an indoor obstacle course.
110. Write a letter to grandma and grandpa.
111. Make slime. Find an easy recipe HERE>
112. Learn origami. Because, why not?
115. Make your own home video.
116. Create a secret family handshake or language.
117. Teach the kids to do laundry or another important chore.
And find more great activities to do at home with kids here >>
Things to Do on a Rainy Day With Friends
The following rainy day things to do at home are designed for fun with pals! (Or other loved ones too!)
118. Go bowling with friends.
119. Check out your local brewery or wine company.
120. Go out for a wine and paint night.
121. Leave a small gift at your friend’s door.
122. Schedule future plans. If you can’t get together today, put a date on your calendar!
124. Have a “Pinterest” night where everyone makes a recipe off of Pinterest for the others to try.
125. Go on a scenic drive to somewhere you’ve never been.
126. Watch a comedy movie that makes you laugh.
127. Host a game night.
128. Start a book club.
129. Make a craft together. (I had a blast making seasonal wreaths with friends.)
130. Try out an escape room.
131. Visit a bookstore.
132. Try out a new coffee shop together.
133. Plan a party.
134. Watch an interesting documentary together.
135. Send hilarious memes to your friends.
Related Post: Fun Ways to Make Friends As an Adult
Outside Activities When It Rains
And finally, just because it’s raining doesn’t mean you HAVE to stay inside. Perhaps it’s time to challenge your beliefs and enjoy the rain instead.
136. Dance in the rain.
137. Splash in the puddles.
138. Enjoy a fun drink on someone’s roofed porch.
139. Practice mindfulness. Pick a spot where you can listen to the rain and just be still. Use your senses to hear, smell, and feel the air around you.
140. Take a rain walk. Bring a waterproof disposable camera with you. Then, snap pictures of nature’s wonders on your walk.
141. Catch raindrops on your tongue.
142. Make mud pies with kids.
143. Paint with mud.
144. Rescue worms stuck on dry land.
145. Host a boat race.
146. Start a water gun fight.
147. Search for a rainbow.
148. Go cloud watching.
149. Draw in wet sand.
150. Take your shoes off and squish your feet in the mud.
To Consider When It’s Raining
Who needs a bad weather day!? Just making this list inspires me to do them now or on the weekend.
What about you? What do you think are the best things to do on a rainy day?
Other Self-Care Posts & Resources You’ll Love:
- The 30 Day Self Care Challenge Recharge – 30 days to a more inspired you!
- The Best Quotes to Help You Overcome Adversity – crush your obstacles.
- Easy Bedtime Affirmations for Better Sleep – finish the day with positive self-talk.
- The Free “Get Your Life Back” Email Challenge
- The Deluxe Self-Care Planner
- The Full Digital Personal Growth Planner
- The Free Resource Library