It has been months since the global pandemic hit our country. At first, the outside changes were overwhelming and disconcerting. (Even now, a few changes still are.) But several months ago, I noticed an unfortunate occurrence within myself.
I was feeling stuck.
Due to having kids, a pandemic, or just being lazy, I realized that I was rarely getting out of my comfort zone anymore. Instead, I wanted to feel safe. So, I stayed in my house, talked to the same people, and participated in the same comfortable activities. Day in. And day out.
Very little in my life had changed in months.
But alas, this is no kind of life.
This is half living. And there is no growth in this space.
So, I set out to remedy the problem. I worked to step out of my comfort zone again in small, tangible ways. They were not grand, spectacular gestures. And I did not have to break any CDC guidelines to do it. But they certainly made a huge impact in my day.
Remember, it’s the small step forward that you take even when it’s hard. That’s what matters.
So, when was the last time you tried something new?
If you’re looking for a little spark in your day, it’s time to challenge yourself as well. Gain back your confidence and sense of adventure. In this article you’ll find:
- 50 easy ways to get out of your comfort zone
- Tips on how to identify your fears
- A thirty-day challenge idea
- 23 comfort zone quotes to motivate you forward
“We are always getting ready to live, but never living.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
50 Powerful Ways to Get Out of Your Comfort Zone
Commit to one small thing every day that scares you, and you’ll feel more alive than you have in a long time.
- Buy something you’d never buy at the grocery store
2. Do something your inner kid loves: like a roller coaster ride, snowboarding, or water slide
3. Start learning a new language
4. Reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while
5. Try a new recipe
6. Introduce yourself to someone new
7. Turn your shower to cold at the end (This wildly boosts energy as well!)
8. Set up a Zoom (or real life) meeting with people you’ve never talked with before
9. Push yourself on your clothing choices (wear a two-piece swimsuit, heels, a dress shirt, etc.)
10. Start a challenge with a friend (reading, gratitude, fitness, diet) Or I love the Spar! app for group challenges!
11. Take a new route for your walk or car ride
12. Visit a new place (park, restaurant, building, etc)
14. Ask for a discount
15. Try a new workout (yoga, pilates, hiit, kickboxing, running, Zumba)
16. Join Toastmasters to cure your public speaking fears
17. Write yourself a note using your non-dominant hand
18. Do a digital detox for at least a day
19. Take a dance lesson
20. Take a creative class like music, art, or cooking
21. Commit to saying hi to everyone you meet on your next walk
22. Listen to a music genre you never do
23. Read something you’d never normally read – gain a new perspective
24. Take yourself out on a date (bonus if you eat by yourself in public)
25. Watch something different (documentaries, animation, etc.)
26. Skip the news for a day
27. Try fasting
28. Order a new coffee drink at your favorite coffee place
29. Tell someone how much you appreciate them
30. Write in a journal (if you normally do not)
32. Try being vegan for a day
33. Speak out online about something you care about
34. Sleep on the floor
35. Purposely sit in the wrong seat
36. Start that book or project you’ve always wanted to start
37. Ask someone for a recommendation (What’s the best wine? The best book? The best dish?)
38. Wake up early in the morning one day
40. Dance (bonus points for filming it)
41. Ask for something that you don’t see on the menu
42. Dress up for the next holiday (make your own Halloween costume)
43. Give someone a compliment
44. Invite someone you don’t know well to lunch
45. Ask for feedback (at work, at home, etc.)
46. Respond with something besides “good” when someone asks how you are
47. Begin learning a new instrument
48. Try meditation (it is challenging, but extremely rewarding)
49. Give someone a spontaneous and creative gift without their input
50. Take a picture every day for a month
What Are You Afraid of?
Now, let’s take an individual look at the things that are holding you back.
First, make a list of what you are afraid of. They may be giant elephants or tiny mice. Either way, write them down.
Then, do something that faces them head on.
Here are some items that may be on your list:
- Other people’s opinions (this keeps us from speaking our minds or asking for feedback)
- Rejection (the fear of putting yourself out there or being open)
- Asking for help when you need it
- Risk (optional surgeries, investing, leaving a job, having a hard conversation, etc)
- Making a mistake
- Change (new job, new friends, new environment etc)
- Discomfort (especially in situations you are not used to)
- Driving on the interstate with your husband next to you (ok, this one is on my list, ha!)
The time is now. So, ask yourself, “what scares you?” Then, get to work.
Need a push? Take the Thirty Day challenge!
Next, commit to one month. Do something small that forces you to leave your comfort zone every day for thirty days. Then, use the quotes below to keep you motivated!
*During my 30-day comfort zone challenge, I tried lots of vegan recipes, went on a water slide, wore a bikini for the first time, braided my hair, got LASIK eye surgery, tried Kimchi, and reached out to others for work MUCH more often. It was a liberating and exciting month!
Quotes to Help Get Out of Your Comfort Zone
1.“A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.” -John Assaraf
2. “When you go out of your comfort zone and it works, there’s nothing more satisfying.” -Kristen Wiig
3. “Great people do things before they’re ready.” -Amy Poehler
4. “The comfort zone is the great enemy of courage and confidence.” -Brian Tracy
5. “Life will only change when you become more committed to your dreams than you are to your comfort zone.” -Billy Cox
6. “Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
7. “Are you really happy or just comfortable?” -Anonymous
8. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” –Neale Donald Walsch
9. “By leaving your comfort zone behind and taking a leap of faith into something new, you find out who you are truly capable of becoming.” -Anonymous
10. “Step outside of your comfort zone because that’s the only way you’re going to grow.” – Madeline Brewer
11. “Life always begins with one step outside of your comfort zone.” ― Shannon L. Alder
12. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.” -Anonymous
13. “Outside your comfort zone is the only place worth living.” –Karina Bliss
14. “The further you get away from yourself, the more challenging it is. Not to be in your comfort zone is great fun.” ― Benedict Cumberbatch
15. “Even the smallest changes in our daily routine can create incredible ripple effects that expand our vision of what is possible.” ― Charles F. Glassman
16. “Real change is difficult at the beginning, but gorgeous at the end. Change begins the moment you get the courage and step outside your comfort zone; change begins at the end of your comfort zone.” ― Roy T. Bennett
17. “The comfort zone is nothing else but a graveyard for your dreams & ideas.” -Anonymous
18. “You can choose courage or you can choose comfort. You cannot have both.” -Brene Brown
19. “The hardest thing to do is leaving your comfort zone. But you have to let go of the life you’re familiar with and take the risk to live the life you dream about.” -T. Arigo
20. “Face the fear, even if it’s only a tiptoe outside of your comfort zone instead of a leap. Progress is progress.” -Annette White
21. “A ship is always safe at the shore-but that is not what it is built for.” -Albert Einstein
- 60 Inspirational Attitude of Gratitude Quotes
- 75 Motivational Quotes About Overcoming Adversity
- 131 Inspiring Quotes for Your Vision Board
Something to Consider With Branching Out
That’s it! It’s time to change directions and try something new!
After committing to putting myself out there more, I quickly realized that the HABIT of taking risks makes you more likely to expand your horizons and try other new things. It’s a snowball effect. You start with one and end with a solid fort of progress.
So, what are you waiting for?
What do you think are the best ways to get out of your comfort zone? Will you join the challenge?
Other Personal Development Posts to Enjoy…
- The Giant List of Habits to Change Your Life
- The Best Books That Empower Women
- The Ninja Block Schedule That Skyrockets Your Productivity