175 Powerful Gratitude Quotes to Uplift You (+ Free Printable)
How do you get a grateful attitude?
It’s a question I’ve been asking myself often these days.
Like many others, stress and anxiety have been high in our home this year. At times, I feel I’ve lost perspective.
Last week, I sat at my gratitude journal and took loooong minutes trying to recall just a few blessings. It was a struggle.
But, then I watched the popular Broadway show Hamilton and remembered that just being born in my country and time period is an INCREDIBLE blessing.
Why is it so easy to forget this? And can inspiring gratitude quotes help?
This post contains affiliate links, at no cost to you. See my disclaimer for more.
I believe so! So, let’s take a step towards remembering the blessings in our lives.
And develop an attitude of gratitude that we can take into our days with a sense of appreciation and wonder. Regardless of outside circumstances and any hardships we face, there is always good to be found.
*Read these easy gratitude practices if you’re looking for more ways to increase your thankfulness.
The Power of Gratitude Messages
But, why are these gratitude messages so important?
We ALL need reminders to appreciate the small, often overlooked goodness in the day.
Because being grateful makes you happier (source). When you choose to savor the good stuff, you are enhancing your positive emotions, tossing depression to the curb, and turning yourself into a more optimistic and giving person.
Couldn’t we ALL use a little more of that?
Attitude of Gratitude Quotes for the Family
Furthermore, since many of us have kids, the following gratitude quotes are split into:
- Inspirational gratitude quotes for anyone
- Short quotes that are perfect for families with kids
- A free wall art printable for your home!
- More ways to enhance your state of thankfulness
Post these quotes around your house, draw them out of a jar at dinnertime, or read one every day at breakfast.
Before you know it, you’ll be appreciating your life in new and profound ways.
Profound Love and Gratitude Quotes
1.“The single greatest thing you can do to change your life today would be to start being grateful for what you have right now.” – Oprah Winfrey
2. “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” —Albert Einstein
3. “There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.” – Ralph H. Blum
4. “Gratitude is a powerful catalyst for happiness. It’s the spark that lights a fire of joy in your soul.” – Amy Collette
5. “Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.” —Alphonse Karr
6. “I don’t have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness – it’s right in front of me if I’m paying attention and practicing gratitude.” – Brene Brown
7. “Happiness cannot be traveled to owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
8. “Reflect upon your present blessings—of which every man has many—not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” —Charles Dickens
9. “Joy is the simplest form of gratitude.” – Karl Barth
10. “Gratitude will shift you to a higher frequency, and you will attract much better things.” – Rhonda Byrne
11. “Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind.” – Lionel Hampton
12. “Strive to find things to be thankful for, and just look for the good in who you are.” —Bethany Hamilton
13. “Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.” – Eileen Caddy
14. “Gratitude is the sweetest thing in a seekers life – in all human life. If there is gratitude in your heart, then there will be tremendous sweetness in your eyes.” -Sri Chinmoy
15. “Remember that what you now have was once among the things that you had hoped for.” – Epicurus
16. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” —Voltaire
17. “Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” —Melody Beattie
18. “The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated.” – William James
19. “The root of joy is gratefulness.” –David Steindl-Rast
20. “A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues.” —Cicero
21. “What separates privilege from entitlement is gratitude.” – Brene Brown
22. “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” -Robert Brault
23. “Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.” —Henri Frederic Amiel
24. “The world has enough beautiful mountains and meadows, spectacular skies and serene lakes. It has enough lush forests, flowered fields, and sandy beaches.
It has plenty of stars and the promise of a new sunrise and sunset every day. What the world needs more of is people to appreciate and enjoy it.” —Michael Josephson
25. “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” ― Melody Beattie
26. “The way to develop the best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement.” —Charles Schwab
27. “Being thankful is not always experienced as a natural state of existence, we must work at it, akin to a type of strength training for the heart.” – Larissa Gomez
28. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” —Gilbert K. Chesterton
*See: This list of simple pleasures for specific examples of good in your life!
29. “Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out.” -John Wooden
30. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
31. “The soul that gives thanks can find comfort in everything; the soul that complains can find comfort in nothing.” —Hannah Whitall Smith
32. “No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.” -Alfred North Whitehead
33. “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” —Thornton Wilder
35. “Learn to be thankful for what you already have, while you pursue all that you want.” —Jim Rohn
36. “I looked around and thought about my life. I felt grateful. I noticed every detail. That is the key to time travel. You can only move if you are actually in the moment. You have to be where you are to get where you need to go.” – Amy Poehler
37. “Be grateful for what you already have while you pursue your goals. If you aren’t grateful for what you already have, what makes you think you would be happy with more.” – Roy T. Bennett
Inspirational Gratitude Quotes on Being Thankful
On a survey, 90% of American teens and adults indicated that expressing gratitude made them “extremely happy” or “somewhat happy”.
What a great indicator that these grateful for life quotes can improve your mental health!
38. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” —Oprah Winfrey
39. “When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.” ― G.K. Chesterton
40. “Forget yesterday–it has already forgotten you. Don’t sweat tomorrow–you haven’t even met. Instead, open your eyes and your heart to a truly precious gift–today.” -Steve Maraboli
41. “In ordinary life, we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer
42. “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” – Marcel Proust
* Find 50 beautiful gratitude affirmations here>>
43. “Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.”— Brian Tracy
44. “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously.
And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
45. “It’s not happiness that brings us gratitude. It’s gratitude that brings us happiness.” – Anonymous
46. “When you look at life through the eyes of gratitude, the world becomes a magical and amazing place.” – Jennifer Gayle
47. “The invariable mark of wisdom is to seek the miraculous in the common.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
48. “The real gift of gratitude is that the more grateful you are, the more present you become.”– Robert Holden
Other inspiring quote posts to read:
49. “It is impossible to feel grateful and depressed in the same moment.” -Naomi Williams
50. “Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy.”– Fred De Witt Van Amburgh
51. “Gratitude, like faith, is a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it grows, and the more power you have to use it on your behalf. If you do not practice gratefulness, its benefaction will go unnoticed, and your capacity to draw on its gifts will be diminished.
To be grateful is to find blessings in everything. This is the most powerful attitude to adopt, for there are blessings in everything.”— Alan Cohen
Grateful Heart Quotes
52.“Gratitude is an antidote to negative emotions, a neutralizer of envy, hostility, worry, and irritation. It is savoring; it is not taking things for granted; it is present-oriented.”– Sonja Lyubomirsky
53.“…it is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful.”– David Steindl-Rast
54. “Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy.”– Jacques Maritain
55. “Be grateful for what you have and stop complaining – it bores everybody else, does you no good, and doesn’t solve any problems.”– Zig Ziglar
56. “A grateful mind is a great mind which eventually attracts to itself great things.”– Plato
57. “Train yourself never to put off the word or action for the expression of gratitude.” – Albert Schweitzer
58. “Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.”– Ernest Hemingway
60. “Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” —William Arthur Ward
61. “Be grateful in your own hearts. That suffices. Thanksgiving has wings, and flies to its right destination.” —Victor Hugo
62. “When eating fruit, remember the one who planted the tree.” —Vietnamese Proverb
63. “We should certainly count our blessings, but we should also make our blessings count.” —Neal A. Maxwell
64. “‘Thank you’ is the best prayer that anyone could say.” —Alice Walker
65. “We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.” —Harry A. Ironside
66. “For my part, I am almost contented just now, and very thankful. Gratitude is a divine emotion: it fills the heart, but not to bursting; it warms it, but not to fever.” —Charlotte Brontë
67. “Whatever we are waiting for—peace of mind, contentment, grace, the inner awareness of simple abundance—it will surely come to us, but only when we are ready to receive it with an open and grateful heart.” —Sarah Ban Breathnach
68. “Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life.
I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have—life itself.” – Walter Anderson
69. “Today, I choose to live with gratitude for the love that fills my heart, the peace that rests within my spirit, and the voice of hope that says all things are possible.”— Anonymous
70. “Things must be felt with the heart.”— Helen Keller
Related Post: How to Improve Your Life With a Journal
For another amazing way to feel blessed, check out my gratitude list guide!
Wake Up With Gratitude Quotes
71. “When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.” —Tecumseh
72. “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.” – Buddha
73. “In our daily lives, we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but the gratefulness that makes us happy.”– Albert Clarke
74. “I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson
76. “Every morning, when we wake up, we have twenty-four brand new hours to live. What a precious gift! We have the capacity to live in a way that these twenty-four hours will bring peace, joy, and happiness to ourselves and others.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
77. “I’m grateful for the opportunity to live on this beautiful and astonishing planet Earth. In the morning, I wake up with a sense of gratitude.” – Earl Nightingale
78. “For me, a lovely day is any day I wake up.” – Author: Bernie Siegel
79. “Wake up, dance with the light of the morning sun. Enjoy the warmth of her love,
fell the joy of life, feel the joy of deepest gratitude.” – Debasish Mridha
80. “May you wake with gratitude.”— Anonymous
81. “My day begins and ends with gratitude.”— Louise Hay
82. “We forget that waking up each day is the first thing we should be grateful for.” – Unknown
83. “When I first open my eyes upon the morning meadows and look out upon the beautiful
world, I thank God I am alive.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kindness and Gratitude Quotes
A 2014 study found that thanking a new acquaintance makes them more likely to seek an ongoing relationship. A simple “thank you” signals that you are open to connection.
So, use these quotes to remind you to be grateful to others too.
84. “One can never pay in gratitude; one can only pay ‘in kind’ somewhere else in life.” —Anne Morrow Lindbergh
85. “Make it a habit to tell people, ‘thank you.’ To express your appreciation sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return.” – Ralph Marston
86. “Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” —Ralph Marston
87. “Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” —W. T. Purkiser
88. “In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” —Albert Schweitzer
90. “Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things like the scent of the rain, the taste of your favorite food, or the sound of a loved one’s voice.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
91. “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu
92. “Act with kindness, but do not expect gratitude.”— Confucius
93. “Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.”— Confucius
Be Grateful Quotes
94. “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.”— Dalai Lama
95. “A sense of blessedness comes from a change of heart, not from more blessings.”— Mason Cooley
96. “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.”— Cynthia Ozick
97. “We must never forget the importance of gratitude.”— Anonymous
98. “Be grateful for what you have and stop complaining–it bores everybody else, does you no good, and doesn’t solve any problems.”— Zig Ziglar
99. “When a person doesn’t have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity.”— Elie Wiesel
100. “It’s a sign of mediocrity when you demonstrate gratitude with moderation.”— Roberto Benigni
101. “When gratitude becomes an essential foundation in our lives, miracles start to appear everywhere.”— Emmanuel Dagher
102. “No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.”— Alfred North Whitehead
103. “To be grateful is to recognize the love of God in everything.” – Thomas Merton
104. “I think that real friendship always makes us feel such sweet gratitude, because the world almost always seems like a very hard desert, and the flowers that grow there seem to grow against such high odds.” – Stephen King
105. “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Masaru Emoto
106. “Gratitude is one of the most medicinal emotions we can feel. It elevates our moods and fills us with joy.”— Sara Avant Stover
107. “Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.” – Henry Ward Beecher
108. “The discipline of gratitude is the explicit effort to acknowledge that all I am and have is given to me as a gift of love, a gift to be celebrated with joy.” – Henri Nouwen
109. “It’s a funny thing about life, once you begin to take note of the things you are grateful for, you begin to lose sight of the things that you lack.” – Germany Kent
110. “It’s up to us to choose contentment and thankfulness now—and to stop imagining that we have to have everything perfect before we’ll be happy.” – Joanna Gaines
111. “It is necessary, then, to cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously.
And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” – Wallace D. Wattles
112. “Gratitude and love are always multiplied when you give freely. It is an infinite source of contentment and prosperous energy.” – Jim Fargiano
113.“The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.”— Seneca
114. “When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out, and the tide of love rushes in.”— Kristin Armstrong
115. “Gratitude is a powerful process for shifting your energy and bringing more of what you want into your life. Be grateful for what you already have, and you will attract more good things.”— Rhonda Byrne
Check out these other posts with FREE printables that make you feel grateful:
50 Short Gratitude Quotes for Kids
These attitude of gratitude quotes are short and sweet. This makes them ideal for kids, but also perfect for a quick lift or when you want to write a quote on a notecard to look at often.
1. “God gave you a gift of 84,600 seconds today. Have you used one of them to say thank you?” – William Arthur Ward
2. “Three meals plus bedtime make four sure blessings a day.”— Mason Cooley
3. “The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it.”— Richard Bach
4. “Wear gratitude like a cloak, and it will feed every corner of your life.”— Rumi
5. “It is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.”— Dietrich Bonhoeffer
6.“We can choose to be grateful no matter what.”— Dieter F. Uchtdorf
7.“Enough’ is a feast.”— Buddhist proverb
8. “This is a wonderful day. I’ve never seen this one before.” —Maya Angelou
These sweet love quotes are also perfect for kids!
9. “Gratitude and attitude are not challenges; they are choices.” – Robert Braathe
10. “My socks may not match, but my feet are always warm.” -Maureen McCullough
11. “Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty.” – Doris Day
12. “Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude.” – A.A. Milne in Winnie-the-Pooh
13. “If you want to find happiness, find gratitude.” -Steve Maraboli
14. “Through the eyes of gratitude, everything is a miracle.” -Mary Davis
15. “The struggle ends when the gratitude begins.” – Neale Donald Walsh
16. “Happiness is itself a kind of gratitude.”— Anonymous
17. “There is always something to be grateful for.”— Anonymous
18. “The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see.” – Mary Davis
19. “What can you do right now to turn your life around? Gratitude”– The Secret
20. “…it is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful.”– David Steindl-Rast
21. “When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in.”– Kristin Armstrong
22. “When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.”– Maya Angelou
23. “When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.”– Tony Robbins
24. “If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, ‘Thank you,’ that would suffice.” —Meister Eckhart
25. “Stop now. Enjoy the moment. It’s now or never.”— Maxime Lagacé
26. “You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing.” Charlotte to Wilbur in Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
27. “Gratitude turns what we have into enough.” – Anonymous
28. “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Arthur Ward
30. “There are always flowers for those who want to see them.” – Henri Matisse
31. “I was complaining that I had no shoes till I met a man who had no feet.”— Confucius
32. A good answer to failures and critics is indifference. A wise answer is gratitude.” – Maxime Lagacé
33. “The essence of all beautiful art is gratitude.”— Friedrich Nietzsche
34. “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.”— Frank A. Clark
35. “I have a lot to be thankful for. I am healthy, happy and I am loved.” – Reba McEntire
36. “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.”— James Allen
37. “So much has been given to me; I have no time to ponder over that which has been denied.”— Helen Keller
38. “Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have.”— Michael Bernhard
39. “When you look at life through the eyes of gratitude, the world becomes a magical and amazing place.” – Jennifer Gayle
40. “A moment of gratitude makes a difference in your attitude.”— Bruce Wilkinson
41. “Those with a grateful mindset tend to see the message in the mess. And even though life may knock them down, the grateful find reasons, if even small ones, to get up.” – Steve Maraboli
42. “The heart that gives thanks is a happy one, for we cannot feel thankful and unhappy at the same time.” – Douglas Wood
43. “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.”— Maya Angelou
44. “I am happy because I’m grateful. I choose to be grateful. That gratitude allows me to be happy.” – Will Arnett
45. “Always have an attitude of gratitude.” – Sterling K. Brown
46. “When I pray, I always thank Mother Nature for all the beauty in the world. It’s about having an attitude of gratitude.” – Miranda Kerr
47. “The thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.” – Henry Ward Beecher
48. “Our favorite attitude should be gratitude.”— Zig Ziglar
49. “Appreciation can make a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.”— Margaret Cousins
50. “Every once in a while God allows you to stub your toe as a kind reminder to be grateful for the miraculous body attached to it.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
Other beautiful posts for children:
- Free Printable Notes to Give Kids
- The Best Activities to Teach Kids Gratitude
- 105 Powerful affirmations for kids
Grab the Free Gratitude Quotes Printable Now!
Free Gratitude Journal Prompts
Are you looking to use these gratitude quotes in a daily practice?
Write one in your gratitude journal each morning and then answer a journal prompt as well. Here are a few to get you started:
1. Name a person you are thankful for that shaped who you are today.
2. What is something from each of your senses you are grateful for today? (Sight, smell, taste, touch, sound)
3. What challenge did you overcome that you now see the benefit in?
4. What book are you grateful for and why? What are the teachings?
5. What are you grateful for about your town? Your time period? Your country?
*Find 100 more gratitude journal prompts and the ultimate list of Thankful Thursday ideas here >>
And watch the video below for phrases that change your thinking:
To Consider With Positive Gratefulness Quotes
Now, let’s move forward with our eyes wide open to the wonders and joys that surround us. Join me in putting these gratitude quotes in your home or office to encourage an attitude of gratitude for yourself and your kids this year.
Other Healthy Happy Impactful posts to enjoy….
- 17 Ways to Spread Positivity – Easy ways to bring light to others.
- The Ultimate Gratitude List – 263 things to be thankful for.
- The Best Inspirational Books for Women in 2022 – Books to learn and grow this year!
- 27 Positive Daily Affirmations for Women – what we say to ourselves matters!
I feel so grateful for these gratitude quotes.
I’m so glad they are useful for you!
I felt so Happy to read this gratitude quotes. These are so useful to My day to day life. I am so grateful to you.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the quotes. Thanks for sharing!