The list of habits that uplevel our lives in a BIG way.
You see, our lives are built up of tiny habits that we do every day. Whether we even know we’re doing them. Those habits hurt or help us, and our lives are a direct reflection of them.
Sure, they are often so small that you don’t notice the impact right away. But over time they make ALL the difference.
So, as we’re looking ahead at the new year, we need a big list of life-changing habits for success. Let’s think about the ways in which we want to go forward.
This post contains affiliate links, at no cost to you. See my disclaimer for more info.
The list is broken down into three categories: healthy, happy, and impactful. So, jot down your favorites below and start brainstorming about those better habits and resolutions for 2020
LIST OF HEALTHY HABITS
“A healthy outside starts from the inside.”Robert Urich
Our health directly impacts the REST of our lives. No one wants to spend their days SICK and TIRED. Furthermore, we get one body in this lifetime, so let’s take care of it to the best of our ability.
HEALTHY LIFESTYLE (1-39)
1. Breathe in fresh air every day. Preferably in nature.
2. Move your body for 30 minutes every day.
3. Prioritize sleep – get those 8 hours! Develop a sleeping ritual
4. Eat a salad
6. Take a walk at lunch
7. Use the stairs instead of the elevator
9. Wear sunscreen
10. Have a regular dance party
12. Stay OUT of the middle processed food aisles at the store
13. Drink a glass of water when you wake up. Keep it on your nightstand.
14. Drink green or herbal tea
15. Cook at home more often (instead of eating out)
16. Take a multi-vitamin or supplements you’re lacking
17. Reduce or give up soda
18. Go on a regular evening walk with your pets or family
19. Park your vehicle farther away
20. Set up “walk meetings” at work
21. Join a new workout class for a month
22. Plan your meals a week in advance
23. Buy smaller plates to eat from (to control portion sizes)
24. Read food labels, aim for ingredients you can pronounce
25. Stop eating after dinner
26. Drink a glass of water before eating
27. Try easy substitutions (milk chocolate to dark chocolate, ranch to olive oil based dressings, etc.)
28. Cut back or eliminate alcohol and caffeine
29. Try a new natural beauty product
30. Use essential oils instead of products with artificial ingredients. Check out SherryStrong.org for 9 basic cleaning recipes using oils.
31. Drink chamomile tea before bed
32. Find a low sugar smoothie recipe you love
33. Quit smoking
34. Make one healthy snack or meal ahead every week
35. Aim for one extra vegetable in your meal
36. Straighten your posture
37. Eat less meat
38. Include strength training in your exercise. Building your muscles burns calories while you sit.
39. Make healthy freezer meals for emergencies.
Want more healthy ideas? Check out 23 Crazy Easy Ways to be Healthier in 2020.
HABITS TO BE HAPPY
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”Charles R. Swindoll
No matter what else we do in our lives, if we’re not happy, what’s the point?! Plus, fulfillment and contentment are completely within our control. So, let’s cultivate those habits that help us to enjoy life to the fullest.
BE HAPPY (40-68)
41. Set a timer for phone and social media time, or unplug for an hour daily
42. Limit your news consumption
43. Journal and write down those thoughts
44. Take care of yourself. Practice self care regularly
45. Listen to people and media that inspire you
46. Listen to music that lifts you up
47. Get outside regularly or open your shades daily
48. Work to let go of what you can’t change
49. Give yourself a compliment every day or finish this sentence “I love myself because __________.”
51. Look on the bright side. Practice finding the silver lining daily
52. Schedule regular date nights and time together with your partner
53. Be playful with your kids. Let your hair down
55. Find a church or spiritual place that resonates with you
56. Say no often to what doesn’t excite you
57. Invest in experiences
58. Establish meaningful traditions with friends and family
59. Smile at yourself in the mirror
60. Eat one meal a day with others (family, friends, etc)
61. Make your bedroom a sanctuary
62. Have more sex. Schedule it if you need to
63. Invest regularly in things that makes you feel confident and great about yourself
65. Watch less tv
66. Ask for help. Often
67. Laugh often. Watch a funny show, tell jokes, or be with friends
68. Set up a reoccurring date with your friends
LIST OF HABITS TO MAKE AN IMPACT
“Focus on impact. Not Approval.”Tim Ferriss
The following habits focus on two objectives. First, making your life better, more productive, and successful. And second, making the lives of those around you better, whether it be your family, friends, or a larger reach.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE (69-99)
69. Go first. Be the first to smile and say hi to everyone
70. Fill your home with real plants and greenery
71. Prioritize your to-do list. Do the most difficult thing FIRST.
72. Save money regularly with an automatic transfer
73. Invest your money regularly (in yourself, investment vehicles, or something that leads to your brighter future)
74. Set up your money to automatically transfer into a giving fund
75. Compliment a stranger
76. Befriend someone that makes you want to be better
77. Do something that scares you every day. Get outside of that comfort zone!
78. Read for 10 minutes a day from a personal growth book
79. Make a 5 year plan and review it regularly
81. Make your nights count, set up a nightly routine
82. Try a spending freeze
83. Visualize your ideal day/future
84. Write down your goals
85. Read to your kids
86. Call a friend or family member to check up on them
87. Hang out with smart and open-minded people
88. Volunteer your time
89. Track your finances weekly
90. Don’t be afraid of failing. In fact, fail often. Then reflect and learn. Failures = feedback
91. Plan your day. I love this productivity planner.
92. Set goals
93. Keep track of your progress towards habits and goals
94. Make family dinners happen.
95. Practice a growth mindset. How did I fail today? How did I stretch myself?
96. Implement the Pareto Principle (the 80/20 rule). 20% of your actions give you 80% of your results. Work on that which makes the highest impact.
97. Review and reflect often
98. Learn something every day. Through blogs, books, youtube videos, podcasts, TedTalks…the sky’s the limit.
99. Start. Right now. Just do it.
WHERE to Start
This is a pretty big habits list though right? So, what if we don’t know where to start?
Well, here are the top 5 habits that will either improve your life the most dramatically and/or make all the other habits of this list easier.
1. DAILY EXERCISE
When you exercise you have more energy to take on your day. Studies show you’re better focused, less stressed, and can more easily stay at a healthy weight. This one habit benefits us in countless ways.
2. ENOUGH SLEEP
Sleep impacts almost all of your daily choices. As with exercise, good sleep will help you have more energy, but it will also be easier to make better decisions and learn new things.
Related Post: How to Get the Best Sleep of Your Life
3. REPLACE ONE MEAL A DAY
With just one healthy meal replacement like a salad, vegetable soup, or smoothie you’ll be giving yourself more energy and protection against future disease and cancer. Isn’t your body worth it? NONE of the other habits will happen if you’re sick.
The truth is, I wish I’d learned to meditate years earlier. If you sit for long enough, it’s like a tranquilizer dart hit just the right spot. Meditation lowers stress, anxiety, and depression. And improves focus and memory function. Making all the other habits on the list much more doable.
5. ESTABLISH SUCCESSFUL ROUTINES
Finally, a good morning and night routine will include several of the amazing habits above, therefore, making it ten times easier to do the right things.
Next up, learn HOW to get these habits to work!
HOW to Practice Good Habits
Now, building better habits takes time and requires consistent work. Unfortunately, there’s no magical quick fix. Here are 8 easy tips for how to make your habits stick in 2020.
Like tiny. One of the biggest mistakes we make with new habits is that we go too grand. Then, we get discouraged and give up.
Want to exercise more often? Start with just getting on your workout clothes. Want to floss daily? Aim for just getting the floss out, or flossing one tooth. It’s about forming the consistent habit FIRST. Then, you build on it.
Figure out the good habit you can and start from there.
Without a plan, we’re destined to fail. So, write out when, where, and how long you will do your new amazing habit before you get started.
USE EXISTING HABITS
Habits that are already ingrained in us are great triggers for a new habit. So, think about what you already habitually do. For example, my sister started the habit of drinking a glass of water every morning by telling herself she had to before she got her cup of coffee. Simple, but effective.
MAKE THE HABIT AS EASY AS POSSIBLE
Set up your environment so that doing the right thing is the path of least resistance. Set your floss out on the counter, hide that junk food, or place your journals and pen on your bed. Make the habit as easy and obvious as possible. Decide what makes it easy to follow through and set it up.
FIND YOUR PEOPLE
Truly, we do average out to be the people we spend the most time with. So, if you want healthier habits, hang out with healthy and fit people. The same goes for any other habits you want to form in 2020.
The best thing about automation is that it’s one and done. Smaller plates help us eat less. Automatic transfers make saving and giving painless. And standing desks get us up. Figure out if there’s anything you can do to automatically be better, and you’ll naturally adapt.
Great habits often don’t give us immediate rewards. The benefits take time to accumulate. In the meantime, give yourself a reward with something that makes you feel great.
TRACK YOUR PROGRESS
Finally, track what you’re doing! Whether through a habit tracker, diary, or an accountability partner. How will you know if you’re improving if you don’t see your progress?
For more on how to make better habits work, check out this post: How to Build Better Habits, From the Expert.
Something to Consider
Who doesn’t want to be healthy, happy, and impactful? These are at the core of our being!
And it takes one small step at a time to get there. The New Year is always a great time to evaluate where we are headed, and what we can focus on in the future.
So, cheers to a bright future!
Of this big list of habits, what are the small practices that you’re going to work on in 2020? I’d love to know below!
Other better habit posts you may enjoy…
- How to Build Better Habits, From the Expert
- 9 Daily Habits to Instantly Create More Happiness
- 9 More Simple Habits to be Happy This Winter