The BEST List of Self Care Ideas for 2021
“Invest in yourself. It pays the best interest.”Unknown
We all get’em. NO GOOD. HORRIBLE. VERY BAD DAYS.
Those days when we’d rather crawl back into bed than face our responsibilities and problems. Because jeez, no one ever told you as a kid there would be so many!
And often, as women, we feel this way because we put ourselves on the back burner. Our job is to take care of everyone else, and dang, we’re pretty good at it too.
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my disclaimer for more info.
But we need to stop, relax, and recharge regularly so that we can be the best we can be the rest of the time.
What is Self Care & Why Do We Need it?
Self care is the intentional act of caring for ourselves physically, mentally, and emotionally. In an ideal world, this would come naturally and be an effortless part of living. But in today’s fast paced society, if we don’t make our own care a priority, it just doesn’t happen. Instead, we face stress, depression, and burnout.
So, whether you need self care ideas for a bad day, or just need a little reboot, read these easy self care tips for stress and be ready to implement them whenever you need to!
What Are Good Self Care Activities?
1. Drink a cup of herbal tea (Soothing Caramel Bedtime is delicious!)
2. Try a few positive affirmations.
4. Take a detox bath (use epsom salts and essential oils)
5. Try a new face mask
6. Breathe deeply
7. Do yoga poses
10. Walk in nature
11. Buy yourself flowers
12. Write 5 things you love about yourself
15. Declutter 10 items
16. Read a personal growth book
17. Go for a long walk
18. Get a massage
19. Do something that makes you laugh
20. Plan a getaway
21. Stretch to relieve tension
22. Watch your favorite show
23. Have a night with friends
24. Do a brain dump
25. Go out on a date night
26. Do something for the first time, like try a new restaurant or skill
27. Give yourself (or get) a manicure
28. Call or text someone you love
29. Light your favorite candle
30. Listen to your favorite podcast
31. Spend time with someone who inspires you
32. Cook your favorite meal
33. Plan a spa day
34. Do a digital detox
35. Eat a salad or smoothie
36. Get out in the sunshine
37. Go to your favorite place
38. Take some pretty photos
39. Listen to your favorite music
40. Hug someone
41. Drink a full glass of water
43. Put on nice clothes and makeup
44. Watch a motivational Ted Talk
45. Watch the sunrise
46. Refresh your morning routine
47. Change your sheets
48. Diffuse quality essential oils
49. Do something nice for someone
50. Go out for a coffee
Want to keep these first 50 ideas handy? Get them below!
+ 50 Additional Self Care Ideas
Remember, different activities work for different people. Pedicures may be the ultimate relaxation for your friend, but you can’t stand them. So, pick and choose according to your needs and personality. Then, ignore the rest!
51. Take a nap
52. Plan a self care day
53. Work on a puzzle
54. Color in an adult coloring book
55. Do something that makes you happy
56. Read or write poetry
57. Donate to a cause
58. Put up photos of loved ones in your home (or on your phone)
59. Unfollow toxic people on social media
60. Go a day without checking your email/messages
62. Listen to an audiobook
63. Give yourself (or get) a pedicure
64. Do something creative (paint, draw, write, etc.)
65. Tidy up one small space (desk, drawer, etc.)
66. Do something playful with your kids (or someone else’s kids)
67. Re-arrange a room in your home
68. End your shower on cold
70. Go on a bike ride
71. Try a foam roller for increased blood flow and self massage
72. Do something physical for 30 minutes to wear yourself out
73. Bake an indulgent treat
74. Buy something fresh at the farmer’s market
75. Sing to your favorite song
76. Go somewhere just to people watch
77. Ask someone for help
78. Watch a YouTube video about styling your hair or makeup differently
79. Establish a comforting night routine
80. Listen to a new podcast
81. Make yourself a fancy cocktail or coffee
82. Watch the clouds or stars
83. Plan a family night
85. Get out into nature
86. Send a surprise card or care package to someone
87. Get take-out for dinner
88. Sign up to volunteer
89. Plan or go on a lunch date (then pay for your friend)
91. Talk to someone about your challenges (friend, parent, therapist, etc.)
92. Watch a sunset
93. Enjoy a piece of creative art (painting, movie, theater, dance, etc.)
94. Read a magazine
95. Go on a picnic
96. Learn a new card/board game
97. Start a worry list to get things out of your head
98. Reach for a healthy snack
99. Plant something
100. Sleep with a weighted blanket
Need a push? Try this 30 Day Self-Care Challenge!
How to Use These Ideas for Self Care
Now is the fun part! Make your own list to keep on the fridge or on your phone. Alternatively, write the individual ideas on a notecard to have on hand. Either way, you’ll be ready with your self-care ideas just when you need them!
If you’d love to incorporate them into your weekly routine, try this free weekly self care printable!
Something to Consider With Your Daily Routine
Remember, self-care is a necessity, not a luxury. So, don’t wait until you’re falling apart on the inside.
Instead, think of your wellness activities as non-negotiable appointments that you have with yourself. When someone asks if you’re busy, YOU ARE.
Your overall health is the ace in your deck of cards. It’s that important!
So, pick one each day for the next week or create an amazing self-care routine. Then, observe how much better you feel! 🙂
Don’t forget the free self-care ideas pdf below!
Other self care posts to enjoy…
- Create A Self Care Checklist To Be Healthy, Happy, & Impactful
- The List of Smart Habits for an Amazing Life
- 9 Daily Habits To Create More Happiness
- Wake Up Early & Triple Your Self Care