What are good gifts for a new mom?
My sister and I live in different areas, and I was disappointed when I couldn’t see her right before or after having her last baby.
So, inspired by the 12 days of Christmas gift, and how outrageously fun that is to do, I incorporated the same idea for a new mom care package.
12 Days of loving on a new mom!
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission if you purchase. See my disclaimer for more info.
How the New Mommy Care Package Works
For this gift idea, you give mama 12 small gifts in one box or new mom gift basket.
Then, she opens one gift per day after she gives birth. It’s a simple, uplifting treat for twelve days straight.
How to Make the Gift
- Buy what you want (ideas below!)
Now, I bought most of my gifts at Target or Amazon, and I’ll include as many easy links as I can. But items can also be picked up at Walmart, the Dollar Store, or just about anywhere.
2. Write a small description or uplifting statement on a card/notecard to go with each one (I wrote on the back of each card, and my examples are below).
3. Number each card (that is the day she will open the gift).
4. Wrap the gifts and attach the cards to the correct gifts.
The 12 Days Care Package for a New Mom
Next, here’s exactly what I bought and wrote on my cards. Then, read on for other fun ideas.
- Chocolate – “Doing the hard work of having a baby requires THIS stat!”
2. Bracelet with motivational inscription (She believed she could, so she did.) – “No matter what the situation, the saying in this item rings true.”
3. Granola bars – “Now that your milk is coming, you’re going to need these!”
(*I knew that my sister was breastfeeding. If your recipient may not breastfeed, write something else!)
4. Pajama shorts – “It’s ok to add a little flair to your recovery sleep.”
6. Inspirational journal – “Gratitude, dreams, frustrations, or notes. Whatever you use this for, it provides amazing benefit.”
Related Post: How to Start a Journal Habit
7. New razor – “I always felt more like myself after I did this. So, use this new one for a little boost.”
10. Dry shampoo – “In case you haven’t been able to do this properly in the last ten days!”
11. Gift card for coffee – “If you have not left the house yet, do it for this today!”
12. Breathe Mama Breathe book – “And finally, breathe mama. There will be stunningly beautiful moments and painfully hard ones. You know that now. It’s a journey. Love you!”
As you can see, I didn’t write anything fancy! I didn’t even work to make anything rhyme. And you don’t have to do exactly what I did. Below are other excellent suggestions for your new mom kit.
Related Gift Posts for Moms:
Additional New Mom Care Package Gifts
A Nice Water Bottle
It’s not always easy to stay hydrated when nursing. A nice water bottle will help keep the water flowing!
A Healthy Meal
Make mom a good hearty meal.
*To include this in the new mom kit, you’ll need to be close enough to drop off the gift and make it for the first day of your 12 days.
Don’t have enough time? Buy a meal, give a restaurant gift card or make a homemade snack or dessert instead.
Easy to put in earbuds can be a blessing when you’re up and moving around all day with baby.
An Oversized Cardigan
Help mom stay warm, comfy, and be able to put LOTS of things in her pockets.
A Sleep Mask
Mom’s sleep is going to take a major hit. So, help her relieve her eyes, plus get a few more moments of shut-eye with a sleep mask.
A Useful Gift Card
Give mom the gift of a service that makes her life better. Pay for a one-time house cleaning, a babysitter (or add a coupon to babysit yourself), or throw in a massage gift card.
A Nursing Top
Nursing in public can be a pain. Especially if you’re a new mom and have to nurse often. So, give this easy t-shirt to make mom’s job easier.
Gift Card to Instacart
Mom and dad are going to have a hard time getting out of the house for a while. So, look into their local grocery delivery options and pay for a gift card to Instacart or whatever they have available for delivery.
Name Necklace of Baby’s Name
If you know the baby’s name beforehand, add a necklace (or another item) with his or her name on it. All moms love reminders of their new little miracle.
An Adult Beverage
Next, if mom enjoys a drink now and then, she’ll love a bottle of wine or beer now that she can partake again.
An Audible Subscription
Give mama the gift of listening to her favorite books. The best part is that it’s all hands-free and can be done while nursing, cuddling with baby, or cleaning up.
Postpartum New Mom Gift Basket Ideas
These items help mom’s body recover after birth. If adding them to the care package, I would give them on day one or two, so she can get the most benefit out of them.
The FridaBaby Mom Postpartum Recovery Essentials Kit
If you’re looking for an all-in-one recovery kit, this one has you covered. You’ll find disposable underwear, ice maxi absorbency pads, cooling witch hazel pad liners, and perineal medicated healing foam. It’s an 11 piece set.
Individual Recovery Items for Postpartum Care:
To Consider With the New Mommy Care Package
Finally, I added a card to the top of everything to explain to mama how to open the gifts.
After, she told me that opening each gift was an exciting part of her day, and something she and her toddler looked forward to enormously.
What will you put in your new mom care package? I’d love to know!
*Still not sure what to get your mama? Leave a comment below, and I’ll try to help brainstorm!
Other fun posts from Healthy Happy Impactful…
- Easy Ways to Boost Your Energy – 17 ways to seize the day
- The Best Easter Baskets for Boys & Non-Candy Easter Baskets Ideas for Girls Too – these gift lists have you covered!
- Soothing Sleep Affirmations – boosting self-talk to great shut-eye.