The Best Adversity Quotes to Get You Through Hard Days
Most of us would agree… It has been a tough time. Conflict, loss, setbacks, and challenges seem abundant these days. And for some, it feels like one thing after another on this crazy journey called life.
So today, we’re exploring quotes about overcoming adversity that can get you through even the toughest of times. Because sometimes a soft nudge is required to continue taking our small steps forward.
First, What is Adversity?
Adversity is anything in life that causes you to stumble. It’s the hard times, the challenges, and the losses.
Why is Overcoming Adversity Important?
Adversity is like a fist punch to the stomach. But overcoming hard times is what builds resiliency in us. The speed in which we bounce back from life’s harshest disappointments determines the overall success and happiness we have in life.
Now, most adversity is not easy to come back from. But doing hard things is what being a strong person is all about. And the benefits of being resilient are a longer life, better health, lower rates of depression, and higher satisfaction in life (source).
So, develop your resiliency now. Start with these quotes about overcoming adversity, facing challenges, and finding strength!
Quotes About Thriving in Adversity
1. “Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I’ll show you someone who has overcome adversity.” – Lou Holtz
2. “Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit.” – Napoleon Hill
3. “Prosperity is no just scale; adversity is the only balance to weigh friends.” – Plutarch
4. “Rock bottom became the solid foundation in which I built my life.” – J.K. Rowling (Check out her book on my list of inspiring reads for women)
5. “Fresh activity is the only means of overcoming adversity.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
6. “Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.” – William Arthur Ward
7. “Adversity has ever been considered the state in which a man most easily becomes acquainted with himself.” – Samuel Jackson
8. “Prosperity is not without many fears and distates; adversity not without many comforts and hopes.” – Francis Bacon
9. “There are uses to adversity, and they don’t reveal themselves until tested. Whether it’s serious illness, financial hardship, or the simple constraint of parents who speak limited English, difficulty can tap unexpected strengths.” – Sonia Sotomayor
10. “There is no education like adversity.” – Benjamin Disraeli
11. “Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the “hero” within us is revealed.” – Bob Riley
12. “Adversity is the first path to truth.” – Lord Byron
13. “The most successful people see adversity not as a stumbling block, but as a stepping-stone to greatness.” – Shawn Anchor
Similar fantastic motivational posts:
- Free Habit Tracker Template
- Create Your Fierce Not-to-Do List
- Get Out of Your Comfort Zone With These Easy Actions
14. “Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune.” – William James
15. “Fire is the test of gold. Adversity, of strong men.” – Martha Graham
16. “Sometimes good comes through adversity. I would not be who I am today had it not been for the internment, and I like who I am.” -Ruth Asawa
17. “One thing about championship teams is they’re resilient. No matter what is thrown at them, no matter how deep the hole, find a way to bounce back and overcome adversity.” – Nick Saban
18. “We don’t develop courage by being happy every day. We develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.” – Barbara De Angelis
19. “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Hellen Keller
20. “In spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser and happier as a result.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
21. “I haven’t always acted or reacted in a way that made me proud, but I didn’t make that same mistake twice, and I think that’s what I love about adversity is that it always reminds me of what’s really valuable in life.” – Sandra Bullock
22. “Turning feelings into words can help us process and overcome adversity.” – Sheryl Sandberg
23. “It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life story will develop.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
24. “You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you.” – Mary Tyler Moore
25. “Sometimes adversity is what you need to face in order to become successful.” – Zig Ziglar
26. “Adversity is preparation for greatness.” – Andy Andrews
27. “You can’t calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass.” – Timber Hawkeye (Check out this list of self-care ideas for self-calming strategies)
28. “One’s best success comes after their greatest disappointments.” – Henry Ward Beecher
*For specific tips on keeping your inspiration up, read: How to Motivate Yourself on Tough Days
29. “Adversity introduces a man to himself.” – Albert Einstein
30. “In times of adversity and change, we really discover who we are and what we’re made of.” – Howard Schultz
31. “The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive.” – J.K. Rowling
32. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail.” – Oprah Winfrey
33. “Had I really succeeded at anything else, I might never have found the determination to succeed in the one arena I believed I truly belonged.” – J.K. Rowling
35. “Out of difficulties grow miracles.” – Jean de la Bruyere
36. “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” – Haruki Murakami
37. “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” -Robert F. Kennedy
38. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.”– Kenji Miyazawa
Related Quote Posts:
Quotes on Facing Challenges
39. “Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don’t fight them. Just find a new way to stand.” – Oprah Winfrey
40. “Challenge and adversity are meant to help you know who you are. Storms hit your weakness, but unlock your true strength.” – Roy T. Bennett
41. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” -Bernice Johnson Reagon
42. “When we least expect it, life sets up a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back.” – Paulo Coelho
43. “The key to life is accepting challenges. Once someone stops doing this, he’s dead.” – Bette Davis
44. “Our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
45. “Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done, and why. Then do it.”– Robert A. Heinlein
46. “If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are? “-T.S. Eliot
47.“The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.”– Chinese Proverb
48. “He who doesn’t want to face his challenges shall always face challenges!”– Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
49. “Because some people see a wall, and assume that’s the end of their journey. Others see it, and decide it’s just the beginning.”– Angeline Trevena
50. “A challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it.”– Ray Davis
51. “If you are facing a new challenge or being asked to do something that you have never done before don’t be afraid to step out. You have more capability than you think you do but you will never see it unless you place a demand on yourself for more.”– Joyce Meyer
52. “A new challenge keeps the brain kicking and the heart ticking.”– E. A. Bucchianeri
53. “Be of good cheer. Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere, and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles.”– Helen Keller
54. “Some people will just go with the flow of things and sway in life, while others will fight against the currents and go upstream to reach their destiny.”– Anthony Liccione
55. “It’s part of life to have obstacles. It’s about overcoming obstacles; that’s the key to happiness.”– Herbie Hancock
56. “Conquering any difficulty always gives one a secret joy, for it means pushing back a boundary-line and adding to one’s liberty.”– Henri Frederic Amiel
57. “In the middle of a difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
Strength Through Adversity Quotes
58. “Stand up straight and realize who you are, that you tower over your circumstances.” – Maya Angelou
59. “The most beautiful people I’ve known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.” – Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
60. “A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
61. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice.”– Bob Marley
62. “The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Don’t give up.” – Robert Tew
63. “My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.”– Michael Jordan
64. “There is in every woman’s heart a spark of heavenly fire which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” – Washington Irving
65. “Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
66. “You can’t really be strong until you can see a funny side to things.”– Ken Kesey
67. “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
68. “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Christopher Reeve
69. “Be strong, be fearless, be beautiful. And believe that anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you.” – Misty Copeland
70. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Mahatma Gandhi
71. “Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.” – Abraham Lincoln
72. “Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.” – Napoleon Hill
73. “Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient.” – Steve Maraboli
74. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” – Mahatma Gandhi
75. “Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.”– Drew Barrymore
To Consider With Overcoming Adversity Quotes
Surprisingly, this article began with Warren Buffett. In reference to the pandemic, he said…
“Never let a good crisis go to waste.”Winston Churchill
So, remember this. Whatever crisis and adversity you’re going through, use it. Find the lessons. Find the silver lining. And develop your character to withstand the storm.
You’ll be shocked at your progress and satisfaction when you come out on the other side.
What are your favorite quotes about overcoming adversity?
Other Personal Development Posts to Enjoy…
- Positive Night Affirmations for Better Sleep – get the rest you need by training your thoughts.
- Amazing Empowerment Books for Women – The BEST picks this year!
- The Big List of Habits to Change Your Life – habits that will transform you for the better.