What are good rewards for yourself?
Rewards for positive reinforcement are commonplace for kids. (The popularity of them in our home is telling).
But, did you know that rewarding yourself is extremely beneficial for adults!? In fact, a reward is required for any goal or habit!
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my disclaimer for more.
- Cue: What’s the trigger? What craving are you trying to fill?
- Habit: The action or routine.
- Reward: Wahoo! Your brain likes this. The habit is worth doing in the future.
Sometimes the reward is a natural consequence, a bonus at work, or a simple mark off a self-care checklist. But physical rewards or experiences can play a HUGE role in keeping you motivated and making progress.
The Problems With Rewarding Myself
Now, while the science is solid, I often face two issues with rewards.
Do you have these problems too?
- All I want is to reward myself with food. Really, chocolate.
While this sounds innocent enough, the truth is that it is a subtle self-sabotage of bigger goals. It’s hard not to love sugar.
2. I don’t want to spend a fortune.
How can I reward myself without money? Or at least a lot of it?
It is possible to solve both of these problems!
That’s why, in this list of non food rewards, the free/cheap adult reward ideas have an asterisk beside them.*
That way, if you’re looking for something that’s not going to blow the budget, it’s easy to find!!!!
Different Types of Self Rewards
Obviously, different rewards fit for different areas of life, your interests, budget, and how big the goal/habit is.
Therefore, the rewards are varied and split into:
- Rewards that support your physical health
- Ideas that build your mental health
- Self rewards that deepen relationships
- Reward ideas that make you feel good
- Fun nature indulgences
Regardless, ALL of these rewards CONTRIBUTE to a healthy, happy, and impactful lifestyle!
Plus, remember that it’s often beneficial to build with small rewards to keep you going while you’re putting in the most work. So, use different ones!
103 Reward Ideas for Adults
Use them for weight loss, business goals, new self-care habits, anything!
Healthy Body Rewards
These non food rewards will encourage and inspire you on your health goals journey!
- Replace an old water bottle with a nice one.*
- Pick up a motivating fitness magazine*
- Invest in a piece of workout equipment (weights, stationary bike, yoga mat, etc.).
- Buy a quality blender for smoothies.
- Purchase a new outfit.
- Sign up for a health subscription box.
- Invest in quality plates and kitchen utensils.
- Buy a cookbook you’ve been wanting to try (or check it out at the library).*
- Meet with a personal trainer, nutritionist, or health coach.
- Indulge in a fresh veggie juice at a healthy restaurant or market.*
- Purchase a new swim suit.
- Get a fitness tracker.
- Buy new undergarments that make you feel amazing.*
- Get a foam roller. It’s a great self-massage!*
- Invest in a gym membership (or digital membership for at-home workouts).
- Replace your tennis shoes with new ones.
- Buy workout clothes that you love.
- Splurge on something that makes healthy cooking easier, like an Instant Pot. Also, mandolines are cheap and make veggie chips a snap!*
- Purchase quality meal prep containers for easy food storage.
Self Care Rewards for Yourself
Rewarding yourself can be indulgent with these ideas!
- Get a manicure or pedicure (or do your own*).
- Allow yourself to do an at-home self-care retreat.*
- Get a massage (professional or from a loved one).*
- Take yourself on a solo date.
- Sign up for a self-care subscription box.
- Try new bubble bath products*.
- Invest in a meditation app like Headspace.
- Get a facial (or do your own face mask at home*).
- Take a nap.*
- Make yourself a fun self-care box.*
- Go to bed early.*
- Do a mind dump*.
- Buy essential oils.
- Invest in a sanctuary spot in your home. Dress it up with soothing candles, pillows, etc.
- Indulge in a self-care day.*
- Get a meditation pillow. (I love this one)
- Purchase products to create a soothing skin care routine.
- Listen to your favorite podcast for extra time.*
These experience rewards for yourself allow for fun and strengthening of connections!
- Go on a date with your partner. (or do a year of dates)
- Schedule a coffee date with a friend.
- Go stargazing with your favorite person.*
- Sign up for a creative class with someone you love (cooking, painting, etc.)
- Go to a concert.
- Hit the movie theater for a recent blockbuster.
- Go to a comedy club.
- Attend a sporting event.
- Find a new activity you’ve never done (escape room, axe throwing, painting party, etc.) Check Groupon!
- Book a night at a bed and breakfast.
- Buy something to make a family tradition special (fancy glasses, fiesta hats, etc.)*
- Visit a monument, zoo, or museum.
- Do a staycation and explore your area.
- Go to the symphony, play, or other arts experience.
- Take a vacation (or weekend road trip) with someone you love.
- Spend the night in a hotel with your family.
- Check something off of your bucket list (Get ideas for spring, summer, fall, holiday, and winter + each post has family and adult lists!)*
Self Rewards That Make You Feel Good
Next, these ways to reward yourself are meant to bring joy and pleasure in general! They also make great ways to treat yourself on a tough week!
- Get a fresh hair cut or color.
- Buy something fun at Target.*
- Hire someone to clean your house.
- Buy nice sheets for your bed (or a comforter or pillow).
- Take your car to get professionally cleaned.
- Have a movie night with a movie you’ve been wanting to see.*
- Take a mental health day off of work.
- Buy some fancy pens.*
- Get a book you’ve been wanting to read.*
- Pay someone to mow your lawn.
- Get a fresh planner.*
- Splurge on a new coffee cup or tea cup.*
- Buy a piece of art or a photograph that inspires you.
- Purchase music that motivates you.*
- Take a lesiure trip to the library. Peruse books and read quietly just for fun.*
- Sign up for a conference or seminar you’ve been wanting to attend.
- Give yourself a night to “do whatever you want.” No guilt.*
- Binge on a tv series others have recommended to you.*
- Transform your bedroom into an oasis. Add twinkle lights, nice lamps, pillows, etc.
- Sign up for a meal delivery service (technically food, but it’s more about food coming to you!)
- Splurge on nice photos of yourself or your family.
- Buy a new purse.
- Get a hair blowout.
- Invest in an optional procedure that improves your quality of life. (ex. Lasik, laser hair removal, Invisalign, etc.)
- Spend 30 minutes watching funny youtube videos.*
- Get a pet you’ve been wanting.
- Get fitted for a bra.*
- Invest in an audible subscription.
- Spend extra time working on a hobby you love.*
- Purchase new makeup or sunglasses.*
- Perk up your work space. Buy a plant or new candle.*
- Buy yourself fresh flowers.*
- Give yourself a gift card to your favorite place.*
- Pick out new pajamas that make you feel cozy.*
- Hire someone to fix up your home (a painter, carpenter, etc.)
- Purchase your own stationary to write to friends and family.
How to Reward Yourself With Nature
Finally, outdoor rewards are practically free! You can’t get better than the beauty of nature!
- Take a hike out in nature.*
- Walk through a botanical garden.*
- Head to a park and watch a sunset. (bring a bottle of champagne to toast your accomplishment!)*
- Take yourself on a picnic.*
- Go camping (or glamping).*
- Lay in a hammock for several hours in your backyard or park.*
- Have a bonfire or fire pit night with someone you love.*
- Pick out something beautiful to plant in your garden.*
Need help getting to the reward stage?
First, read this list of healthy & happy habits to figure out what your goal is.
Then, use the following tips to make it happen!
- Make a specific plan for your goal/habit. (Schedule it in using a template)
- Repeat your why or write down your goal daily.
- Tell someone or join a group for accountability.
- Make the habit as easy as possible.
- Keep track using a free habit tracker.
And again, utilize the rewards above during the process for extra motivation!
Check out this article on forming better habits for more!
Follow Through on Rewarding Yourself
Finally, force yourself to enjoy the rewards! Sometimes, it’s difficult to celebrate our wins before we’re on to the next thing to do.
So, tell a friend or partner your goal AND your self rewards. Let them help you follow through and celebrate together!
To Consider With Non Food Rewards
Phew, I hope you enjoyed this HUGE list!
What are your favorite ways to reward yourself? I’d love to know!
*Read here for rewards to motivate your kids!
Other personal growth posts you’ll enjoy…
- Take the Self-Love Challenge! – 30 days of loving actions for your best self.
- Powerful Quotes for When Adversity Strikes – when the going gets tough, put these quotes on your wall!
- Sleep Affirmations for an Easier Bedtime – easy, peaceful self-talk before you close your eyes.