12 Months of Creative Date Ideas
Have you seen the movie on Netflix called Holidate?
It’s a recent corny (and inappropriate) romantic comedy. But it made us laugh.
The premise is two single people that meet and decide to get together only for holidays. This way, their families quit pestering them about dating and there’s no pressure for gifts or commitment.
After almost a year of holiday dates, the result is a predictable love story. However, there are plenty of ridiculous missteps and antics along the way.
This article contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my disclaimer for more.
The movie was lighthearted. But the thing that struck me most was how much FUN they were having on these holiday dates.
So, today, I’m supplying a year of dates as a gift (I’m using it for Valentine’s Day) or just as fun ideas for different holidays this year.
12 Months of Date Ideas: Holiday Style
For each section, I’ll describe the date they do in the movie, plus other ideas! Mix and match, or keep them all at home. There’s a lot of variation you can do here!
New Year’s Eve
From the movie: Attended a New Year’s Eve party at a fancy club.
Other ideas for a NYE date:
- Go out for lunch at your favorite place
- Have a romantic dinner with music, candles, and flowers (after the kids go to bed)
- Movie marathon your favorite series
- Try something new together (food, tv, hobby, exercise, drink, etc.)
Movie: Met by chance (she was blowing him off) inside a candy store, then they did chocolate tasting in a car.
Other great V-day ideas:
- Make reservations to a fancy dinner place
- Go on a getaway or have a hotel night all to yourselves
- Play a romance game
- Eat fondue style
- Indulge in a corny romantic comedy
- Build a blanket fort your kids would be jealous of
- Have a “splurge” date (buy one indulgence in food, drink, clothing, activity etc.)
St. Patrick’s Day
Movie: Went to a bar with friends dressed in green, wigs, and face paint.
More for St. Pats:
- Buy some Guiness beer and try your hand at a traditional Irish dish
- Go out to dinner at a pub
- Take a tour of a whiskey distillery
- Enjoy an Irish coffee with breakfast in bed
- Put together a romantic outdoor picnic
Movie: Brunch with her family.
Other special Easter dates:
- Go for a long springtime stroll
- Go shopping for Easter gifts together, then grab dinner and spend the night getting the baskets set up
- Snuggle and relax in a hammock together
- Make a sexy Easter basket (or two)
- Watch the sunset together with champagne
- Dye your own Easter eggs without the kids
Movie: Lunch with her mom.
More ideas mom will love:
- Enjoy a bubble bath or spa date together.
- Stroll through the farmer’s market and stop for brunch
- Go on a couples hike and pack a picnic
- Go to a wine tasting (or have one at home)
- Walk through a botanical or rose garden together
Related Post: 15 Self Care Gifts for Mother’s Day
Cinco De Mayo
Movie: A wild night of Mexican food, shots, and photo booth taking
Other great fiesta date ideas:
- Prepare your own Mexican feast with decorations
- Try making Mexican flan
- Put on Mariachi music
- Use YouTube to learn the Mexican hat dance, salsa, tango, or another fun latin dance
- Take your own selfies with a sombrero and decor
- Invite a friend couple for a festive deck dinner and drinks
4th of July
Movie: Fireworks with family at the lake.
Additional Independence Day fun:
- Plan a fun staycation (even if you have other vacations planned!)
- Go on a day trip somewhere
- Sneak away to a cabin or beach house
- Go see a drive-in movie
- Get sparklers and decipher what your partner writes in the sky
- Bake a 4th of July cake together
- Hit an outdoor concert
- Go to the pool or beach together (just the two of you)
- Have a movie night with classics like Independence Day or The Patriot
*Some of these ideas also work well for Memorial Day!
Related Post: Fun Family Traditions for the 4th of July
Movie: Attended a wedding.
More for Labor Day:
- Host a potluck barbecue
- Visit a national or state park
- Go on an unplanned road trip. Pack up and see where the car takes you!
- Go camping (as a family, or just the two of you)
- Hit the movie theater to see a fun film
- Rent a tandem bike and go exploring
Movie: Went to a Halloween costume party.
Other spooky date ideas:
- Go through a haunted house together
- Take a late-night walk in the cemetery
- Make caramel apples together
- Watch a horror movie cuddled up on the couch
- Have a bonfire and s’mores night
- Listen to a creepy story podcast
- Host a murder mystery party
- Make Halloween treats together
- Dress in your own sexy Halloween costumes after the kids go to bed
Related Post: 25 Adventurous Dates for Fall
Movie: Grocery shopping before getting together with family.
More turkey day favorites:
- Have a pie baking contest
- Volunteer together
- Go on a scenic drive
- Host a Friendsgiving
- Do a Turkey Trot together
- Get up early and enjoy a simple breakfast and coffee before the day with family
More Holiday Dates
Now, that’s it for the movie, as the story ends right before Christmas. But no worries, I added these other holidays to complete a year of dates for you!
- Play frisbee with a glow in the dark frisbee
- Workout together, then grab lunch at an outside patio
- Go fishing (or hunting, shooting, etc.) – make a date out of what dad loves to do!
- Find lyrics on Youtube and belt out your favorite tunes together
- Have a Christmas shopping date. Get your shopping done and enjoy each other.
- Make some holiday goodies and taste test by candlelight
- Go to a coffee shop and get a hot chocolate to savor there or at home
- Go on a car date and drive around to see the lights
- Eat finger foods by the fireplace, and then exchange a gift
Related Post: Cozy Couples Christmas Traditions
Last but not least, don’t forget this important holiday!
- Go on a romantic getaway
- Visit the spot from your first date (reenact the date)
- Share a favorite beverage while reviewing pictures of you together
- Stay at a bed and breakfast
- Take a long walk under the stars
*The ideas from Valentine’s Day also work well here!
Related Post: Love Gifts That Show You Care
Make 12 Months of Dates Into a Gift
Now, to make this a gift, decide on what dates to do for each holiday and write them out. Pay for anything you can ahead of time, and set up a babysitter early to make it easiest to execute when the holidays come!
Find more date gift basket ideas HERE!
But, Be Flexible
If you are parents you know that many holidays are now family territory. And that’s ok!
Schedule your dates for a week before the actual holiday if it interferes with your family plans, or include the family if necessary. Quality time is what’s important!
To Consider With A Year of Dates
Along with some juicy love coupons, this will be my Valentine’s gift for hubby this year! I think it’s something we’ll both enjoy enormously.
What are you going to do for a year of dates in your home?
Other Relationship Posts to Enjoy…
- Sweet Text Messages to Send Your Partner – use your technology to build a stronger bond.
- Would You Rather Questions to Get Talking – awesome for kids and adults!
- Easy Ideas to Make Friends – ways to connect with your community.