What Can I Say Instead of I Love You?
Sometimes, we need original and thoughtful ways to say I love you to the people that matter most to us.
So, below is a HUGE list of ideas to make someone feel special and cherished.
Odds are, the response to your words and actions will be immediate and appreciative – strengthening your bond with your partner, kids, or friends.
Words to Say Instead of “I Love You”
First, check out this list of different ways to say I love you to your partner (or any other family member), and actions to make them feel cherished.
- I hope you know how much you mean to me.
- I am so blessed to be your partner, spouse, etc.
- I’m crazy about you.
- You mean the world to me.
- I will always be here for you.
- You are my dream come true. I prayed and hoped for you.
- It doesn’t matter what we do, I’m glad to spend the time with you.
- You are my better half.
- You are my sunshine when skies are gray.
- Thank you for always supporting me.
- You light me up.
Activities to Show Your Partner Love
- Send a sweet text message
- Send a romantic song or music video
- Share with them your gratitude journal when they are in it
- Flirt with your partner
- Set up a new experience to do together
- Compliment your partner
- Do something they enjoy doing
- Celebrate their accomplishments
- Make a big deal about their birthday
- Take care of them when they get sick
- Encourage them to practice self-care and give space to do so.
- Look up a few jokes and make them laugh.
Funny Ways to Say I Love You
- ‘ve fallen for you and I can’t get up.
- You’ve stolen a pizza my heart.
- I’m only sharing this ________ only because I love you.
- What did the volcano say to the mountain? “I lava you!”
- You are like asthma. You take my breath away!
- What did one light bulb say to another? I love you watts and watts
- Knock knock. Who’s there? Owl? Owl who? Owl always love you!
- I love you with all my butt. I’d say my heart, but my butt is bigger.
Ways to Say I Love you to a Friend
- Even though we don’t see each other often, you are one of my dearest friends
- I’m so blessed to have you in my life
- Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you!
- Happy ___________ (Birthday, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s) Day!
- Happy Tuesday!
- I miss seeing your face!
- Congrats on your ________! (Celebrate their accomplishments!)
- Can I give you a hug?
- You inspire me!
- I admire that you are so ____________ (generous, bold, kind, etc.)
- That time we ___________ is one of my favorite memories.
Activities to Show Your Friend Love
- Send a card using snail mail
- Send a video message to say hi or thank you
- Facetime when they need it
- Call them up and just listen
- Drop off a small plant, coffee, or another pick-me-up. Check out soothing gifts HERE.
- Text just to check-in
- Plan a friend date night
- Make them a diy self care kit
- Help them with a large project (cleaning out a house, moving, etc.)
- Make them a playlist
Related Post: How to Connect as an Adult
Cute Ways to Say I Love You to Your Child
- You are my dream come true.
- I love you from your head to your toes, knees to your nose.
- I love you more than ______________ (Curious George loves bananas, etc)
- You are my favorite ____________ (5-year old, 3 year-old, etc.) in the entire world!
- Just seeing you makes me smile.
- I love you to the moon and back.
- I love you in the evening, and in the afternoon. I love you in the morning, and underneath the moon.
- I thought of you today when I saw ____________.
- I will always be there for you, no matter what you do.
Activities to Show Love to Your Child
- Leave little love notes for them to find (free ones through the link!)
- Set up quality time to spend together
- Share a touching love quote with them
- Share something you wrote in your gratitude journal about them
- Listen without any distraction for ten minutes
- Draw a heart with jelly on their peanut butter sandwich
- Make a secret “I love you” code
- Engage in exciting and simple birthday traditions
- Be silly with them
Want to Make Love a Priority in Your Home?
Check out the BEST family traditions ebook – a year-long guide full of connection building activities for the entire family! Don’t miss out on this affordable ebook before your next holiday!
See also: 37 Ways to Become a More Playful Mom
I Love U Quotes
Sometimes, the right words have already been said. Include one of these quotes to tell your loved ones how much they mean to you.
“The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” – Audrey Hepburn
“Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” – Maya Angelou
“In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. / In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” – Maya Angelou
If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you. – A. A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
“I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.” – Roy Croft
“Do I love you? My god, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.” – William Goldman, The Princess Bride
“I am who I am because of you.”Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
“There is no remedy for love, but to love more.” – Thoreau
“I love you, and that’s the beginning and end of everything.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” – Charles M. Schultz
Ways to Say I Love You in Different Languages
Surprise your loved one with a bilingual card or expression of affection! Try one of these:
- Spanish – Te amo
- Italian – Ti amo
- French – Je T’aime
- Irish – Gráím thú
- Hawaiian – Aloha Au Ia ʻOe
- German – Ich liebe dich
Check out omniglot for more languages and to see how they sound!
Ways to Say I Love You to Yourself
- Take the 30 Day self love challenge
- Pick from these love yourself affirmations to repeat daily
More Ways to Say I Love You Without Words
- Make a special breakfast
- Send a thoughtful gift (Find beautiful love gifts HERE!)
- Tickle them
- Write down 10 reasons you love them
- Gift a photo of the two of you
- Set up quality time to spend together
- Throw your special person a surprise party
- Give them space when they need it. We all have rough days
- Be supportive when they want to make changes in their life
- Hang out with their friends
- Show affection in public
- Pay attention to what they like
Creative Ways to Say I Love You (The 5 Languages)
Next, let’s try different ways to say I love you, using the 5 love languages. Whether it’s your partner or your child, these will be clear indicators that you care.
- Write 10 great things about them on post-it notes and stick it to the wall
- Put notes in a jar for all the reasons you adore them
- Thank them for something extra they did in the last week
- Tell someone how great they are in front of them
- Do “14 days of love” with a small note every day
- Write on the bathroom mirror
- Write a love letter
Need help with affirmations for kids? Sign up for 24 free love notes!
Acts of Service
- Bring them coffee
- Do one of their chores
- Run an errand they need done
- Wash your partner’s car
- Cook their favorite meal
- Lighten their load in some way when they are stressed out
- Plan a date night
- Go for a long walk together
- Do something with them they enjoy doing (cooking, working out, etc.)
- Put down your phone and screens – really pay attention
- Dream and make plans and goals together
- Hold hands
- Give them a hug
- Give a shoulder massage
- Rough house with kids (tickling works too!)
- Create secret handshakes
- Give kisses (or butterfly kisses, nose kisses, etc.)
- Remember their preferences (food, drink, activities) and pick it up for them
- Print and display photos in a sweet way
- Keep a memento from an experience together and leave it on their pillow
- Gift a puzzle of a special place
- Leave a small gift in their car
- Buy them a bottle of champagne to celebrate an accomplishment
- Make a small homemade gift to give to them (like a diy crossword)
- Try a 12 days of gifts theme
Something to Consider
Life is short. And those we care about deserve to know how we feel. So, take these simple words and activities and use them as often as you can.
What ways do you use to say I love you?