The BEST List of Self Care Ideas for 2022
We all get’em. NO GOOD. HORRIBLE. VERY BAD DAYS.
Those days when we’d rather crawl back into bed than face our responsibilities and problems. Because jeez, no one ever told you there would be so many!
Often, as women, we feel this way because we put ourselves on the back burner. Our job is to take care of everyone else, and dang, we’re pretty good at it too.
That’s why these self care ideas are so important!
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my disclaimer for more info.
We need to stop, relax, and recharge regularly so that we can be the best we can be the rest of the time.
What is Self Care & Why Do We Need it?
Self care is the intentional act of caring for ourselves physically, mentally, and emotionally. In an ideal world, this would come naturally and be an effortless part of living.
But in today’s fast-paced society, if we don’t make our own care a priority, it just doesn’t happen. Instead, we face stress, depression, and burnout.
So, whether you need easy self care ideas for a bad day, or just need a little reboot, read these easy activities and be ready to implement them whenever you need to!
What Are Some Ideas for Self Care?
Many of the following make for perfect self care ideas at home, and a few will help you branch out to other places too!
1. Drink a cup of herbal tea (Soothing Caramel Bedtime is delicious!)
2. Try a few positive affirmations.
3. Write 10 things you are grateful for
5. Try a new face mask
6. Breathe deeply
7. Do yoga poses
10. Walk in nature
11. Buy yourself flowers
12. Write 5 things you love about yourself
15. Declutter 10 items
16. Read a personal growth book
17. Go for a long walk
18. Get a massage
19. Do something that makes you laugh
20. Plan a getaway
21. Stretch to relieve tension
22. Watch your favorite show
23. Have a night with friends
24. Do a brain dump
25. Go out on a date night
26. Do something for the first time (like try a new restaurant or skill)
27. Give yourself (or get) a manicure
28. Call or text someone you love
29. Light your favorite candle
30. Listen to your favorite podcast
31. Spend time with someone who inspires you
32. Cook your favorite meal
33. Plan a spa day
34. Do a digital detox
35. Eat a salad or smoothie
36. Get out in the sunshine
37. Go to your favorite place
38. Take some pretty photos
39. Listen to your favorite music
40. Hug someone
41. Drink a full glass of water
43. Put on nice clothes and makeup
44. Watch a motivational Ted Talk
45. Watch the sunrise
46. Refresh your morning routine
47. Change your sheets
48. Diffuse quality essential oils
49. Do something nice for someone
50. Go out for a coffee
Want to keep the first 50 handy? Get the free pdf below!
Along with other totally cool stuff in the library!
+ 50 More Unique Self-Care Ideas
Remember, different activities work for different people. Pedicures may be the ultimate relaxation for your friend, but you can’t stand them. So, pick and choose according to your needs and personality. Then, ignore the rest!
51. Learn a new card/board game
52. Plan a self care day
53. Work on a puzzle
54. Color in an adult coloring book
55. Do something that makes you happy
57. Donate to a cause
58. Put up photos of loved ones in your home (or on your phone)
59. Go on a picnic
60. Plant something
62. Listen to an audiobook
63. Give yourself (or get) a pedicure
64. Sleep with a weighted blanket
65. Enjoy a piece of creative art (painting, movie, theater, dance, etc.)
66. Reach for a healthy snack
67. Plan or go on a lunch date (then pay for your friend)
68. Get take-out for dinner
70. Send a surprise card or care package to someone
71. Try a foam roller for increased blood flow and self-massage
72. Do something physical for 30 minutes to wear yourself out
73. Bake an indulgent treat
74. Buy something fresh at the farmer’s market
75. Make yourself a fancy cocktail or coffee
Free Self Care Activities
These self-care ideas for women cost absolutely nothing – and aren’t those the best kind?!
76. Go somewhere just to people watch
77. Ask someone for help
78. Watch a YouTube video about styling your hair or makeup differently
79. Establish a comforting night routine
80. Listen to a new podcast
81. Sing to your favorite song
82. Watch the clouds or stars
83. Plan a family night
85. Get out into nature
86. Go on a bike ride
87. End your shower on cold
88. Sign up to volunteer
89. Re-arrange a room in your home
91. Talk to someone about your challenges (friend, parent, therapist, etc.)
92. Watch a sunset
93. Tidy up one small space (desk, drawer, etc.)
94. Read a magazine at a bookstore or library
95. Unfollow toxic people on social media
96. Take a nap
97. Start a worry list to get things out of your head
98. Do something playful with your kids (or someone else’s kids)
99. Go a day without checking your email/messages
100. Do something creative (paint, draw, write, etc.)
Need a push? Try this 30 Day Self-Care Challenge!
What Are Your Self-Care Ideas for Today?
Now is the fun part! Make your own list! What 5-10 activities can you have ready when you need to uplift your spirits?
Keep this list on the fridge, your phone, or on a notecard in your wallet. Either way, you’ll be ready with your self-care ideas when you need them!
Here’s are the top 5 on my self care ideas list when I need a boost:
- Take a walk on a nearby trail
- Make a cup of tea
- Read a fun book
- Meditate (or just sit and breathe)
- Meet up with friends (even if it’s just for a quick walk!)
And here’s a video explaining more top ideas too!
More on How to Use This List
If you’d love to incorporate them into your weekly routine, try this free weekly self care printable!
To Consider With Self Care Things to Do
Remember, self-care is a necessity, not a luxury. So, don’t wait until you’re falling apart on the inside.
Instead, think of your wellness activities as non-negotiable appointments that you have with yourself. When someone asks if you’re busy, YOU ARE.
Your overall health is the ace in your deck of cards. It’s that important!
So, pick one each day for the next week or create an amazing self-care routine. Then, observe how much better you feel! 🙂
***Don’t forget the free self-care ideas pdf HERE!
Other helpful mental health resources…
- Create A Self Care Checklist To Be Healthy, Happy, & Impactful
- List of Daily Life-Changing Habits to Start
- 9 Daily Habits To Create More Happiness
- Wake Up Early & Triple Your Self Care
- The Free “Get Your Life Back” Email Challenge
- The Full Digital Personal Growth Planner
- The Free Resource Library