+ Free Printable Checklist for Christmas Wellness
Christmas is a beautiful time for family, friends, and food. But it’s also the MOST stressful time of year. There’s a lot to do to make the magic happen!
So, how do we feel more rested and relaxed without the holiday burnout?
12 Days of Christmas Self Care!
This year, let’s focus on having a holiday we can ENJOY. To do this, we are raising our standards of wellness. For 12 days in December, commit to adding in self-love and enjoying the results of a more peaceful and serene month.
Best December Wellness Ideas
Start this wellness challenge 12 days before Christmas, or pick any day to do it! You’ll be so happy you gave yourself these moments!
Day 1: Spend the Evening Doing Nothing
That’s right. We’re starting with a bang.
For many women, this will be the most difficult day of the challenge! But for one day, you do not have to be a superwoman.
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission. See my disclaimer for more.
So, do the tasks that HAVE to be done, like work and taking care of children. But anything above and beyond gets pushed to another day. Instead, indulge in some self care that you are rarely able to do.
- reading a book
- watching Friends all-day
- getting takeout
- or taking an hour-long walk.
See this great list of self care activities.
Day 2: Give Yourself a Healthy Boost
To best enjoy the holiday season, we need to be healthy and sickness-free. Moreover, holiday weight gain is a big worry for most people this time of year. So, let’s take today’s wellness challenge as a “health day.”
Here are ideas to ramp up your health! Pick one or two that make the biggest impact.
- Drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces or fill up a pitcher of water in the morning to drink all day
- Do a workout, or even two workouts today
- Walk in nature for an extended period
- Drink a smoothie for breakfast
- Have a salad for lunch
- Try a healthy new recipe for dinner
- Take your vitamins (and set a timer for tomorrow)
- Meal prep a few items to make the rest of your week healthier too.
Read 23 Small Steps to Be Healthier This Year for more clever ideas!
Day 3: Listen to Music for at Least 30 Minutes
Next, music has an incredible impact on our mood!
So, today, listen to at least 30 minutes of music. This may be Christmas jams or just upbeat hits that get you dancing. Whatever it is, choose something that puts you in high spirits.
Related Post: 9 Habits to a Happier Winter
Day 4: Take Yourself Out on a Date
Have you ever gone on a solo date?
It’s liberating! Get someone to watch the kids and go sit on the patio of a coffee shop for an hour or two, alone.
Here are other ideas for a solo date:
- Take yourself to dinner and a movie
- Visit an art museum
- Pick up a bakery item and sit at a park journaling and watching birds
- Have a cozy date at home with candles, comfort food, and a glass of wine
- Attend a workshop you’ve been wanting to go to
- Try a new yoga or fitness class (an online class counts too!)
- Have a “creativity date.” Spend time dreaming up your next projects, business ideas, or vision board.
Check out this post at lifegoalsmag.com for more solo date ideas!
Day 5: Spend at Least an Hour Outside in Nature
Breathe in the cool, fresh air. Then, spend your time noticing the changing season, or the beautiful Christmas decorations of your neighbors.
Bonus points if you put your phone away the entire time!
Christmas Wellness Day 6: Laugh it Out
Huge belly laughs are required on this day. For this, you’ll need to think about what makes you giggle and chuckle. Is it…
- episodes of The Office?
- A tickle fight with your kids?
- Or the ridiculous jokes of a best friend?
Whatever it is, make it happen today!
Day 7: Make a Gratitude List
Next, make a gigantic list of 100 blessings in your life.
These do not have to be big blessings! They can be as simple as a cup of coffee. But you can not stop until you’re done.
In the end, you’ll feel astonishingly grateful for the mountain of good in your life. (Find a gratitude list of ideas)
Want an alternative list idea? Try creating a happiness list! Write out 100 things that make you happy!
- Challenge Time! 30 Days of Gratitude
- 50 Thoughtful Gratitude Prompts to Dig Deeper
- 60 Fierce Gratitude Quotes (+ free wall art!)
Day 8: Connect With Someone You Haven’t Spoken to
There are tons of activities to keep you busy during Christmastime. So use them as an excuse to reconnect with someone you care about.
Try one of these:
- Bake your favorite Christmas cookies together
- Sing a Christmas carol for them outside the door or on the phone.
- Send them a silly Christmas picture, then call to see if they got it.
- Buy or make a Christmas goodie and drop it off so you can chat.
- Invite them over for dinner.
What will you do to reconnect with a family member or friend?
Read The Best Christmas Traditions for Couples to bond with your partner!
Day 9: Stay Off of Social Media & News Today
It’s time to feel calmer.
For one day, stay off of any social media, news, and even email if it’s not necessary. Unplug completely if you can.
Since you’re not mindlessly surfing the web, you’ll have time for those self-care practices we talked about!
Or make yourself a self-care kit for winter with your newfound time!
Consider this quote:
After your digital detox is over, unfollow and unsubscribe from anything that doesn’t make you glow. Clear out space for more good in your life!
Related Post: 21 Ways to Simplify Your Life
Christmas Wellness Day 10: Treat Yourself
This is my favorite one on the list!
Schedule a luxurious act of self-love ahead of time.
- Have your partner give you a massage
- buy yourself flowers
- get your nails done
- or get a cup of coffee you’ve been eyeing
It doesn’t have to be expensive to boost your spirits. Whatever you do, make it something to look forward to!
Xmas Self Care Day 11: Take a Nap
Sounds easy right?
But is it?
I DREAM about naps, but hardly ever take them. However, this year, mom gets a break too.
So, no excuses friends! Get in at least 30 minutes for some restful shut-eye.
Dr. Danielle Kelvas, physician and mental health expert says that the self care practices she recommends most to her patients are alone time, play time, and healthy sleep hygiene.
Day 12: Center Yourself Before the Hustle & Bustle
Finally, before Christmas day, partake in one activity that centers you completely.
Perhaps this is
Whatever the case, wind down your racing mind. This will help you enjoy the sights and sounds of the season, without the panicked stress.
Free Self Care Christmas Printable
Make your December wellness a priority this year!
And for my explanation of the challenge, watch the video below!
To Consider With 12 Days of Christmas Self Care
You’d better believe I participate in this 12 days of Christmas wellness and self care every December! I’m looking forward to feeling relaxed and at peace, regardless of outside circumstances.
What about you? Are you in? Let me know in the comments!
Let’s focus on caring for ourselves in a world-class way, so we can hone in on the stuff that matters.
*For another feel-good challenge, check out this shorter self-care bingo free printable.
Other Self Care Posts to Enjoy…
- 75 Self Love Affirmations to Build Confidence – positive self-talk that builds confidence and esteem.
- 40 Gifts for Women With Anxiety– soothe your favorite people (or yourself).
- Create a Powerful Not to-do List – what’s on your list?