Christmas Song Trivia will bring on the nostalgia and holiday spirit. After all, the season often starts with the sweet sounds of music.
So, gather your friends and family for an exciting challenge!
Don’t forget the free printable question and answer cards at the end!
This post contains a variety of Christmas song trivia questions to choose from. Skip around or answer all of them.
Christmas Song Picture Trivia
Name the holiday tunes using the pictures.
In the 12 Days of Christmas Song, what days do each of these represent?
Christmas Music Trivia for Kids
This Christmas carol trivia for kids is all about fun songs they love.
If you’re playing in a group, pick catchy Christmas team names first.
13. What song tells the story of a snowman brought to life?
14. According to the song “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” how many times does Santa check his list?
15. One foggy Christmas Eve, what did Santa ask Rudolph to do?
16. “All I want for Christmas is my _______ _______ _______.”
17. What kind of pudding is mentioned in the song “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”?
18. “Away in a __________, no crib for his bed. The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet _________.”
19. In the song “Jingle Bells,” what do they ride?
20. Which famous character will “go down in history”?
21. “You’re a mean one/ You really are a heel/ You’re as cuddly as a cactus.”
Who are they referring to in these song lyrics?
22. “Up on the house top, reindeer pause. Out jumps good old _______ _______.”
23. What brings Frosty the Snowman to life?
24. What gift is sent on the first day of Christmas?
25. “Here comes Santa Claus/ Here comes Santa Claus/ Right down _______ _______ _______.”
26. “I saw mommy _________ Santa Claus.”
27. What is the most popular children’s Christmas song?
28. According to the song, what do you “Deck the Halls” with?
29. “O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree, how __________ are your branches.”
30. “It’s beginning to look a lot like ____________.”
31. What gift does the “Little Drummer Boy” present to baby Jesus?
32. According to the song, who got ran over by a reindeer?
33. Finish the lyrics: “Silent night, holy night/ _____ _____ _____, _____ _____ _____.“
34. What does Alvin the Chipmunk want in “The Chipmunk Song”?
35. Challenge question: How many reindeer pull Santa’s sleigh in “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”? Can you name them all?
More Fun Xmas Trivia:
Classic Christmas Carol Trivia Questions
Fun Fact: It’s thought that one of the first Christmas carols ever recorded was in 129 AD. And that some traditional carols still sung today are from the Middle Ages. (source)
Try out your trivia skills on Christmas carols trivia questions and answers.
36. In “O Little Town of Bethlehem” where do the silent stars go by?
Above the deep and dreamless sleep
37. Which popular Christmas carol is also considered to be a lullaby?
“Away in a Manger”
38. Who composed “Silent Night”?
Franz Gruber-lyrics by Joseph Mohr in 1818 (source)
39. In “The First Noel” when the poor shepherds look up in the sky, where is the star that they see?
shining in the east beyond them far
40. What is the most published Christmas hymn in North America?
“Joy to the World” was published in 1,387 hymnals across North America before 1978. (source)
41. On which book of the Bible is “While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks” based?
42. “It Came Upon the Midnight _______.”
43. In “We Three Kings,” what were the kings following?
44. “Deck the Halls” is a traditional Christmas carol that dates back to which century?
45. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” was first recorded by whom?
46. What beloved carol does Carol Brady lead the carolers in singing during the 1988 “A Very Brady Movie”?
“O Come All Ye Faithful”
47. What band turned “Joy to the World” into a No. 1 hit in 1971?
Three Dog Night
48. “In the song, “Angels We Have Heard on High,” how are the angels singing?
49. What do you hear on every street corner when it’s Christmastime in the city?
50. How many times is the word “heaven” sung in the first verse of “Joy to the World”?
51. What was the name of the good king who looked out on the Feast of Stephen?
Good King Wenceslas
52. What Christmas carol does Melanie Wilkes sing at Tara’s Christmas in Gone With The Wind?
“Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!”
53. What is the most recorded Christmas song in the modern era?
54. Which popular Christmas carol is based on a French poem?
“O Holy Night”
55. In the carol “Angels We Have Heard on High”, what does the phrase “Gloria in excelsis Deo” mean?
“Glory to God in the highest”
56. This famous carol uses the melody of “Greensleeves.”
“What Child is This”
57. What other name is given to the carol “O Tannenbaum”?
“O Christmas Tree”
58. “Silent Night” was originally composed in 1816 in what country?
59. Who is considered the “Emperor of Christmas” with three songs in the Top 10 and two songs in the Top 2?
60. Approximately how many songs are there with ‘Christmas’ in the title?
Almost 10,000. 9,274 to be exact! (source)
Name That Christmas Song Lyrics
Next, Christmas song lyrics trivia will have the entire family singing out loud.
In this section, name the tune!
61. “O star of wonder, star of night/ star with royal beauty bright/ westward leading, still proceeding/ guide us to Thy perfect light.”
62. “Peace on the earth, good will to men/ From heaven’s all-gracious King.”
63. “Sleigh bells ring, are you listening? In the lane, snow is glistening”
64. “Let your heart be light/ From now on/ your troubles will be out of sight”
65. “Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree/ Won’t be the same dear, if you’re not here with me.”
66. “I don’t want a lot for Christmas, There is just one thing I need.”
67. “The moon is right, The spirits up, We’re here tonight, and that’s enough.”
68. “I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart.”
69. “Good tidings we bring to you and your kin'”
More Fun Christmas Lyrics
Fill in the blanks or complete the phrase for these popular lyrics.
70. “Santa baby, a _______ convertible too, light _____.”
71. “Rockin’ around the Christmas tree/ At the Christmas Party hop…
72. “It’s beginning to…”
73. “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas with every Christmas card I write. May your days be merry and bright…“
74. “Have a holly jolly Christmas; And when you walk down the street, say “Hello” to friends you know…”
75. “He sees you when you’re sleeping. He knows when you’re awake. He know if you’ve been bad or good…”
76. “Sleigh bells ring…”
77. “Dancin’ and prancin’ in Jingle Bell Square…”
78. “The cattle are lowing/ The Baby awakes….“
79. “Silent night, holy night! Son of God love’s pure light...“
80. “Hark! how the bells/ Sweet silver bells/ All seem to say/ Throw cares away…”
Christmas Songs Quiz And Trivia Answers
81. True or False: “All I Want For Christmas Is You” has generated over $60 million USD.(source)
83. True or False: “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” was introduced in the movie It’s a Wonderful Life.
(False: It was first introduced in Meet me in St. Louis.)
84. True or False: In “The Most Wonderful Day of the Year” Sue is getting a hula hoop for Christmas.
(False: Sue is getting a dolly)
85. True or False: “Christmas Time is Here” is a popular Christmas song written for the 1965 television special A Charlie Brown Christmas.
86. For which musical film was the song “White Christmas” written?
87. Which 1990 film is credited with popularizing “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree“?
88. Which Christmas song was the first to be broadcast from space?
89. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, this song is the biggest selling single of all time.
“White Christmas” (source)
90. “Let it Snow” was written during this?
A heat wave in California
92. How can the song “Here We Come A’wassailing” also be sung?
Here we come a-caroling.
93. “In the meadow, we can build a ___________.”
94. What year was “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” first recorded?
95. In the song “A Holly Jolly Christmas,” what beverage do the words tell you to have a cup of?
Have a cup of cheer
96. Wham released this song in 1984, but it did not rank in the charts until 2017.
97. What Beach Boys song shows Santa’s sleigh as a Nordic hot rod?
“Little Saint Nick”
98. According to a popular Christmas song, what is “roasting on an open fire?”
99. Which of the Beatles wrote the song “Wonderful Christmastime”?
Hard Christmas Music Trivia
Finally, are you up for a Christmas music trivia challenge? Multiple choice will come in handy for these hard Christmas song trivia questions.
100. Which carol is set to a tune by Mendelssohn?
a. Silent Night
b. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
c. O Come All Ye Faithful
d. O Little Town of Bethlehem
102. What is the bestselling Christmas song of all time? (source)
a. “All I Want For Christmas Is You”
b. “Jingle Bells”
c. “Last Christmas”
d. “White Christmas”
103. What carol shares a title with a 1984 Mickey Rooney Film?
a. “O Holy Night”
b. “Silent Night”
c. “It Came Upon the Midnight Clear”
d. “Last Christmas”
104. What carol is also known by the title “Adeste Fideles”?
a. “O Come, All Ye Faithful”
b. “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!”
c. “Joy to the World”
d. “We Three Kings”
106. Dwight Schrute in an episode of The Office, is not a fan of this Christmas tune.
a. “Last Christmas”
b. “Christmas Time Is Here”
c. “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24”- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
d. “All I Want For Christmas Is You”
108. What is considered the oldest Christmas carol?
a. “Angels Hymn”
b. “Boar’s Head Carol”
c. “God Rest You Merry Gentlemen”
d. “Coventry Carol”
109. Which artist has NOT released a cover of “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town”?
a. Bruce Springsteen
b. Mariah Carey
c. Michael Buble’
d. Johnny Cash
- Trivia Questions About Music (60s to Today)
- Hilarious Who’s Most Likely to Christmas
- Free Christmas This or That Printable
Free Christmas Song Trivia Printable
Enjoy the Christmas song trivia in pdf card form!
Playing Christmas Song Trivia
Trivia is healthy for you. In fact, it:
- releases dopamine which makes you happy (especially true if you answer correctly!)
- gives your spirits a boost with friendly competition
- lowers our stress hormones
- is exercise for the brain (source)
Plus, playing trivia about Christmas songs helps you get into the holiday spirit.
Turn on the Christmas music and bring on the warm fuzzies with Christmas song trivia!
For more family Christmas game,s try out Christmas Would You Rather Questions.
Don’t miss great New Year Posts too!
- Fun New Year’s Trivia Quiz
- Funny New Year Riddles
- Best Family Traditions for New Years
- New Year Reflection Question Cards
- Ten Reasons Why Trivia is Good For You (cerebrumpublishing.com)
- The Surprising Origins of Christmas Carols: Explained (www.classicfm.com)
- Top 20 Most-Published Christmas Hymns in History (https://www.ccel.org)
- The Story Behind the Beloved Christmas Carol “Silent Night” (https://www.wrti.org)
- How Many Christmas Songs? (https://medium.com)
- Top 10 Selling Christmas Songs of All Time (https://medium.com)
- Top 10 Selling Christmas Albums of All Time (https://medium.com)