A Christmas Story trivia will test your knowledge of all things Ralphie and Red Ryder. From leg lamps to memorable quotes, explore the magic.
It’s trivia time- where festive facts meet holiday cheer!
This post contains affiliate links, and we may earn a commission at no cost to you. See our disclaimer for more.
Simple A Christmas Story Trivia
First, start with easy trivia about the events in the classic movie A Christmas Story.
1. What character narrates A Christmas Story movie?
Answer: Ralphie as an adult
2. What department store holiday window displays all the Christmas toys Ralphie and his brother desire?
3. What does Ralphie want for Christmas?
Answer: A Red Ryder BB Gun
4. What is the name of Ralphie’s younger brother?
5. What household appliance does Ralphie’s father often get into a verbal fight with?
Answer: The furnace
6. Who do all the kids in Ralphie’s class use to greet and prank their teacher?
Answer: Fake teeth
7. Ralphie’s friend, Flick gets his tongue stuck on a pole because of what kind of dare?
Answer: A triple-dog-dare
8. What theme assignment title does Ralphie’s teacher give his class?
Answer: “What I want for Christmas”
9. Who comes to rescue Flick from the frozen pole?
Answer: The fire department and the cops.
10. What happens with bully Scut Farkus on the way home from school when Ralphie loses his temper?
Answer: Ralphie beats him up.
11. What does Ralphie’s mother do to get Randy to eat his meatloaf?
Answer: She tells him to show her how the piggies eat.
12. What word is on the “major award” package crate that comes for Ralphie’s father?
13. What is the major award inside the box?
Answer: A table lamp in the shape of a woman’s leg.
14. What car does Ralphie’s father drive?
Answer: An Oldsmobile
15. What is Ralphie and Randy’s favorite radio program?
Answer: Little Orphan Annie
16. What Christmas song is the family singing before Ralphie’s father gets a flat tire?
Answer: Jingle Bells
17. What causes Ralphie to say “Oh Fudge”?
Answer: When he is helping his father change the flat tire.
18. What color of soap is used to wash Ralphie’s mouth out?
19. In Ralphie’s imagination, what happens to him from soap poisoning?
Answer: He becomes blind.
20. What does Ralphie give his teacher for Christmas?
Answer: A large fruit basket
21. When Ralphie receives his secret decoder pen in the mail, what message does he decode?
Answer: Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.
22. How old is Ralphie in this movie?
Answer: 9 years old
23. What allegedly happens to Ralphie’s father’s beloved leg lamp?
Answer: Mrs. Parker was watering the plants and broke it.
24. What grade did Ralphie get on his Christmas theme paper?
25. Who does Ralphie finally decide he has to ask for his BB gun in order to get it for Christmas?
26. What happens when they light the Christmas tree?
Answer: They blow a fuse.
27. What does Aunt Clara give Ralphie?
Answer: A pink bunny suit
28. What does Mrs. Parker give Mr. Parker for Christmas?
Answer: A blue bowling ball
29. What do the Parkers traditionally eat for Christmas dinner?
30. What present does Ralphie’s father find hidden behind the desk?
Answer: A Red Ryder BB gun
31. What does Ralphie tell his parents when he breaks his glasses shooting his gun?
Answer: He says an icicle fell on them.
32. What happens to the Parker’s Christmas turkey?
Answer: The neighbor’s dogs get in and get it. (The “Bumpas Hounds”)
33. What song do the waiters first sing when they go out for Christmas dinner?
“Deck The Halls” (and then Jingle Bells)
34. What does the waiter do when Mr. Parker complains that the Christmas dinner duck is “smiling” at him?
Answer: He chops off the head.
35. Where did Randy hide when he was scared that Ralphie was going to be in big trouble when is father got home?
Answer: Under the sink
36. How does Randy react when he sits on Santa’s lap?
Answer: He screams
Fun Timeless Quotes From A Christmas Story
Have fun with these holiday movie quotes from this beloved Christmas tale.
37. What does Ralphie’s mother tell him will happen if he gets a BB gun?
Answer: “You’ll shoot your eye out.”
38. “My kid brother looked like a tic about to pop.” Where are they going when he looks this way?
Answer: To school
39. Why did Ralphie’s family look at him like “he had lobsters crawling out of his ears”?
Answer: He told them, “Flick says he saw some grizzly bears near Pulaski’s Candy Store!” This was a ploy to ask for a BB gun for Christmas.
40. “My mother had not had a hot __________ for herself in 15 years.”
41. What reminds the Old Man of the “fourth of July”?
Answer: The leg lamp
42. After Ralphie’s mother breaks the leg lamps she responds, “We’re out of ________.”
43. The department store Santa says “He hates the smell of __________.”
44. “Fra-gee-lay. That must be ______________!”
45. Who says, “I can’t put my arms down!”?
Answer: Randy (Ralphie’s younger brother)
46. “Only one thing in the world could’ve dragged me away from the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window.” What is that one thing?
Answer: Little Orphan Annie radio show
47. Finish the phrase “Meatloaf, Smeatloaf, Double Beetloaf. I _________ ___________.”
Answer: hate meatloaf
48. Who told Ralphie “he looks like a deranged Easter bunny.”
Answer: Ralphie’s father
49. What is the complete name for the BB gun Ralphie wanted for Christmas in his words?
Answer: “An official Red Ryder, carbon action, 200 shot, Range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time.”
“Oh Fudge”: Hard A Christmas Story Trivia
Next, these hard Christmas movie trivia questions are multiple choice.
Answer: D- The Wizard of Oz
51. What was the name of the host of the radio show, Little Orphan Annie?
A. Jack Benny
B. Jimmy Durante
C. Pierre Andre
D. Groucho Marx
Answer: C- Pierre Andre
52. What was the name of the Chinese restaurant where the Parker family ate Christmas dinner?
A. Chop Suey Palace
B. Big Wong
C. Fu King Chinese
D. Peking Duck
Answer: Chop Suey Palace
53. In the dream where Ralphie defeats Black Bart, what does he call his Red Ryder BB gun?
A: Ol’ Red
C. Ol’ Blue
D: Trusty Friend
Answer: C- Ol’ Blue
54. What did the family eat every night in the movie except for Christmas Day?
A: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and red cabbage
B: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans
C. baked steak, mashed potatoes, and red cabbage
D. baked steak, mashed potatoes, and corn
Answer: A: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and red cabbage
55. What was the name of the Lone Ranger’s nephew’s horse?
Answer: D- Victor
56. What did Ralphie’s dad think that his major award might be at first?
A. The deed to a bowling alley
B. A bowling ball
C. A piece of art
Answer: A-The deed to a bowling alley
57. Who does Ralphie say taught him the word “fudge”?
C. his dad
58. What could Ralphie’s old man do quicker than a jackrabbit on a date?
A. Replace fuses
B. Make turkey
C. Fix the furnace
D. Change a tire
Answer: A-Replace fuses
59. In which era is A Christmas Story most likely set?
Answer: B- Cleveland Street
61. What state is A Christmas Story set in?
Answer: D- Indiana
62. What are the name of Ralphie’s two friends?
A. Flick and Schwartz
B. Flinn and Schwinn
C. Schwartz and Flint
D. Shawn and Flick
Answer: A- Flick and Schwartz
63. What is Ralphie’s teacher’s name?
A. Miss Moore
B. Miss Smith
C. Miss Parker
D. Miss Shields
Answer: D- Miss Shields
64. Who was on the cover of the Look magazine that Ralphie put a Red Ryder flyer in?
A. Mae West
B. Grace Moore
C. Shirley Temple
D. Gracie Allen
Answer: C-Shirley Temple
65. What is the name of the song played during the opening credits of the movie?
A. “We Wish You A Merry Christmas”
B. “Deck the Halls”
C. “Jingle Bells”
D. “Silent Night”
Answer: B- “Deck the Halls”
66. What gift does Santa suggest that he bring Ralphie for Christmas?
A. Tinker toys
B. A baseball bat
C. A football
D. A book
Answer: C- A football
67. What was the name of the soap brand that Ralphie had in his mouth?
Answer: A- Lifebuoy
68. Who plays Santa and passes out gifts on Christmas Day?
A. Ralphie’s father
C. Ralphie’s mother
Answer: C- Ralphie
More Christmas Questions:
- Christmas Conversation Starters
- Would You Rather for Christmas
- Christmas This or That Questions Game
- Icebreaker Questions for Christmas
Ralphie’s World: Character Trivia
Meet the Parkers family and the rest of A Christmas Story cast and characters.
69. Ralphie as an adult narrates the movie. What is the name of the narrator in real life?
Answer: Jean Shepherd
70. Who plays Ralphie as a child?
Answer: Peter Billingsley
71. Who was cast as Ralphie’s younger brother?
72. Who was initially offered the role of Ralphie’s father in the film?
Answer: Jack Nicholson
73. What is the name of the actress who played Ralphie’s mother?
Answer: Melinda Dillon
74. What is the name of the actor who played Ralphie’s father, also known as “The Old Man”?
Answer: Darren McGavin
75. What other popular Christmas movie did Peter Billingsley appear in?
76. What actress was actually pregnant in real life during the filming of the movie?
Answer: Tedde Moore, who played Miss Shields, Ralphie’s teacher
Also check out Best Christmas Riddles With Answers.
A Christmas Story Production Trivia
Next, let’s go behind the scenes for this fun A Christmas Story trivia quiz!
77. In which two cities was the movie originally filmed in?
Answer: Cleveland, Ohio and Toronto, Canada
78. What year did the movie premiere?
79. How much did it gross at the box office?
Answer: $19 million
80. What television show was inspired by A Christmas Story?
Answer: “The Wonder Years”
81. How many sequels have been made for this movie?
Answer: Two (My Summer Story, A Christmas Story 2)
82. Where can you see a 24-hour marathon of A Christmas Story?
83. What novel is this movie based on by Jean Shepherd?
Answer: “In God We Trust: All Other’s Pay Cash”
84. What became of the Cleveland, Ohio home used to film the exterior shots of the Parker’s residence?
Answer: It was converted into a tourist attraction and museum.
85. When Flick’s tongue is stuck to the flagpole, what was used to safely create the illusion?
Answer: A suction tube
86. Who made a cameo appearance as the irate man waiting in the Santa line at the department store?
Answer: Jean Shepherd (author of the novel the movie is based on)
87. Who made a cameo appearance as the dim-witted neighbor who marvels at the leg lamp from outside?
Answer: Bob Clark (director)
88. Where is the actual A Christmas Story house?
Answer: Cleveland, Ohio
89. What iconic prop was made specifically for this movie?
Answer: The leg lamp
90. How long did it take to film A Christmas Story?
Answer: 8 weeks
91. What happened to the original leg lamp prop from the movie?
Answer: It was accidentally broken during the movie filming.
True or False: A Christmas Story Facts Trivia
92. They only auditioned Peter Billinglsey for the role of Ralphie.
Answer: False- Although they auditioned 8,000 kids for the role of Ralphie, Peter Billingsley was one of the first to audition.
93. True or False: The Jean Shepherd book that the movie is based on is a collection of short stories written for “Playboy” magazine during the 60s.
94. The setting for the movie is based on the hometown Jean Shepherd grew up in where he lived on Cleveland Street and went to Warren G. Harding Elementary School (like Ralphie).
95. Bob Clark, director, sent scouts to over 10 cities before selecting Clevland, Ohio as the site for filming.
False: He sent them to over 20 cities.
96. Two different leg lamps were made for the movie and both were broken during filming.
False: Three leg lamps were made. All were broken.
97. Artificial snow had to be used during the scenes from soap flakes and fire fighters foam.
98. When filming the movie, Peter Billinglsey actually did say “Oh Fudge”.
Answer: False- He said the real swear word.
99. While on his profanity tirade against the furnace, actor Darren McGaving improvised all of the gibberish swear words to keep the rating at PG.
100. A Christmas Story was adapted into a musical that premiered in Kansas City, Missouri, and later on Broadway.
Fun Fact: Ralphie mentions the Red Ryder BB Gun nearly 30 times throughout the movie.
Host A Christmas Story Trivia Night Event
Fans of A Christmas Story will enjoy a themed trivia party.
How to host a trivia night:
- Set the scene: Decorate with movie memorabilia: a leg lamp light set, movie posters, and a throw pillow
- Costumes: Dress like your favorite A Christmas Story character or prop: Pink bunny, leg lamp, Fragile crate
- Food: Serve up a classic recipe of mashed potatoes and meatloaf. Use a leg lamp cookie cutter to make unique Christmas cookies!
- Play A Christmas Story trivia game: Divide the group into teams and keep score.
- Pick team names: Team Fragile, You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out, Oh Fudge, The Triple-dog-Dare-Yas (See more Christmas team name ideas)
- Have trivia night prizes: Leg lamp mug, Fragile T-shirt, sour soap candy, or a “You’ll shoot your eye out” tree ornament
- Watch this holiday classic! This trivia night wouldn’t be complete without watching A Christmas Story.
Next, check out more awesome trivia for Christmas: