What are some good holiday trivia questions? (Free Printable!)
These Christmas Trivia questions are perfect for your holiday family game night or a get-together with others. You’ll find 63 unique questions and answers to test out your holiday knowledge and get competitive with those you love. Then, grab the free printable at the bottom of the post!
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission if you purchase (at no cost to you). See my disclaimer for more.
Family Christmas Quiz and Answers
Christmas Movie Trivia Questions
First, test what you know about the most classic Christmas movies!
1. How many lights were on the Griswold’s house in Christmas Vacation?
2. Finish this line from How the Grinch Stole Christmas: “It came without packages,
boxes or __.”
3. In A Christmas Story, what gift does Ralphie receive from his aunt?
A pink bunny suit
4. Finish this iconic line from It’s a Wonderful Life: “Every time a bell rings,
an angel gets his _.”
5. Buddy the elf sticks to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy
corns and __.
6. Who was the bad guy Rudulph tried to avoid?
The Abominable Snowman
7. What’s the highest-grossing Christmas movie of all time?
8. Describe the Grinch in three words?
Stink, stank, stunk
9. How many ghosts are there in ‘A Christmas Carol?’
10. What did the other reindeer not let Rudolph do because of his shiny red nose?
Join in any reindeer games
11. What was the real name of the character Tim Allen plays in The Santa Clause?
Scott Calvin (SC)
12. In Home Along 2, what city does Kevin mistakenly get lost in?
New York City
13. Where does the Polar Express take the children?
14. In the story of a Christmas Carol, what is Scrooge’s first name?
15. What Christmas carol does the Peanuts gang sing at the end of “A Charlie Brown
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
16. “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is __.” -Elf
Singing loud for all to hear
*Related Post: Try the movie ideas in this free Christmas Charades game!
Christmas Carols Trivia Questions
Next, what do you know about your favorite Christmas songs?
17. In the song “Frosty the Snowman,” what made Frosty come to life?
An old silk hat
18. In the song Twelve Days of Christmas, what is given on the 10th day?
19. Finish the lyrics from Silent Night: “holy night, all is calm, all is _.”
20. In “I Saw __ Kissing Santa Claus,” who did the narrator see kissing Santa
Claus under the mistletoe?
21. True or false: “Jingle Bells” was always intended to be a Christmas song.
False! It was written for Thanksgiving
22. How many total gifts are given in the song of the 12 days of Christmas?
364 (from Weird but True)
23. How old was the girl who sang “I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas”?
10 years old (from Weird but True)
Religious Christmas Trivia Questions
To add meaning to your game, add in these questions about the birth of Jesus.
24. How many gifts were received at Jesus’ birth?
25. Where was baby Jesus born?
26. What did the wise men follow to find baby Jesus?
The star of Bethlehem
27. According to legend, what holiday goodies were shaped to resemble a
shepherd’s staff, as a way to remind children of the shepherds who visited baby
Candy canes (they also started off as straight white sticks)
28. What does the word Noel mean in Latin?
Related Post: 23 Meaningful Christmas Traditions to Try
Christmas Trivia for Kids (About Santa Claus!)
These questions feature holiday trivia just for kids that highlight their favorite tradition – Santa!
29. What items are left out for Santa on Christmas Eve?
Milk and cookies
30. What are the two other most popular names for Santa Claus?
Kris Kringle and Saint Nick
31. What are the names of Santa’s reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, and Rudolph
32. How many times does Santa say “Ho”?
33. What is put into the stocking of a naughty child?
34. ‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro’ the house, not a creature was
stirring, not even a _.”
35. What does Santa say at the end of “A Visit from St. Nicholas” book?
Happy Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight!
36. Which real-life person is Santa Claus based on? (Use for older kids)
The Christian bishop St. Nicholas
37. What do kids in Sweden leave for Santa?
Coffee (Weird but True)
If your kids love fun facts, try these funny trivia questions for kids!
Christmas Traditions & Cultures Trivia
Next, learn more about cultural traditions around the world with these questions.
38. In Mexico, children celebrate Christmas by breaking…?
Pinatas (Weird but True)
39. Which country started the tradition of putting up a Christmas tree?
40. How do you say “Merry Christmas” in Spanish?
41. Originally from Mexico, this red and green plant is used to decorate homes.
42. What happens for the first person to find the pickle ornament on the Christmas tree on Christmas morning?
The first person to find the pickle on the tree would receive an extra present from Santa Claus or would be said to have a year of good fortune.
43. What did people put on their trees before Christmas lights?
Candles (Weird but True)
44. In Britain, if you eat this for 12 days, it is said to bring good luck.
Mince pie (Weird but True)
45. In the Southern Hemisphere, Christmas comes in the middle of…?
Summer (Weird but True)
46. According to the folklore of Austria and other countries, what horned figure
punishes naughty children at Christmastime?
Miscellaneous Christmas Trivia Questions
Next, test your general knowledge about Christmas with these questions!
47. What country first invented eggnog?
48. Which U.S. state was the first to declare Christmas an official holiday?
49. Who wrote, “Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps
means a little bit more?”
50. What Christmas decoration was originally made from strands of silver?
51. What is the most popular tree topper?
52. What Christmas greenery do you kiss underneath?
53. What Christmas-themed ballet premiered in Saint Petersburg, Russia in 1892?
54. How do you shorten the word ‘Christmas’?
Xmas. Origins from the mid-1500s and the Greek letter X, which is the first letter
in the Greek word for Christ: Χριστός.
55. What Christmas activity became popular by the story of Hansel & Gretel?
Making gingerbread houses
56. How much money do U.S. stores make in sales during the holiday season?
More than 600 billion (according to Weird But True)
57. In what state resides the town of “Santa Claus”?
Georgia (Weird but True) – There are two! A reader informed me there’s a town called Santa Claus in Indiana too! 🙂
58. How long does it take to grow a Christmas tree?
Up to 10 years (Weird but True)
59. Who assembled the first strand of electric Christmas lights?
Thomas Edison (Weird but True)
Funny Christmas Trivia
And finally, these Christmas trivia questions are fun and a little silly.
60. How do you say Merry Christmas in Hawaiian?
61. What are you supposed to do when you find yourself under the mistletoe?
62. Who got ran over by a reindeer in a classic Christmas song?
63. How many sides does a snowflake have?
6 (Weird But True)
Grab Your Christmas Quiz for Family!
I hope you enjoy this simple game, and you can grab the free printable with 10 questions and answers in the resource library! Sign up below and you’ll receive the password to access!
Sources Used for This Trivia
Websites: https://www.smithsonianmag.com; www.britannica.com; www.history.com;
www.natgeokids.com; www.time.com; www.beaconjournal.com;
Movies: Elf; A Charlie Brown Christmas; Polar Express; The Santa Claus; Home Along
2; Frosty the Snowman; Christmas Vacation; Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer; It’s A
Wonderful Life; A Christmas Story
Literature: “A Visit from St. Nicholas” by Clement Clarke Moore; “How the Grinch Stole
Christmas” by Dr. Seuss; “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens
Music: “Silent Night” by Joseph Mohr; “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” by Tommie
Connor, “Weird But True” by National Geographic Kids
More Holiday Posts You’ll Love…
- Fun Ideas to Put Together Your Christmas Eve Box
- The Best Useful Holiday Gifts for Kids
- Your Ultimate Holiday Bucket List of Ideas