340 Best Ice Breaker Questions for Kids, Teens, & Adults (2023)
What are some good icebreaker questions?
These good ice breaker questions will save the day when you’re faced with a new situation at home, school, or work! Because meeting new people is not easy. We are sometimes faced with uncertainty and awkwardness.
But there are many amazing benefits to creating new relationships. It gives you a chance to learn something new, be inspired, find opportunities, build confidence, and be happier by connecting with others.
So, let’s give others a chance! Enjoy these good, clean questions to get to know another person. They are separated into:
- Great ice breaker questions for kids, teens, adults, small groups and more!
No one is left out…
Good Ice Breaker Questions for Kids
First, you’ll find questions that help kids (or students) relax into a conversation and express their favorite ideas.
1. Where is your favorite place to go?
2. Do you have any pets?
3. What animal would you like to have for a pet?
4. What do you LOVE to do?
5. Who is your best friend?
6. What’s the best thing about being a kid?
7. How many people are in your family?
8. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
9. How are you similar and different from your siblings?
10. What is your favorite color?
11. When is your birthday?
12. What are you good at?
13. What is your favorite animal?
14. What is your favorite game?
15. What is your favorite thing to learn?
16. What is your least favorite chore? What chore do you not mind doing?
17. What is it about your family that is unique?
18. What is something you noticed you improved in recently?
19. What do you daydream about?
20. What do you want to be when you grow up?
21. If you could fly like a superhero for a day, where would you go?
22. What is your favorite holiday?
23. If you could make up a holiday, what would it be?
24. What is your favorite season?
25. What is your favorite thing to do in each season? (Find kid bucket lists for spring, summer, fall, & winter)
26. What is not real, but you really wish it was?
27. What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
28. If you had to cross a parched desert or an unknown jungle, which would you pick?
29. What makes you laugh the hardest?
30. Who makes the best movie villain? Why?
31. If you could eat one dessert every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
32. What is your favorite food?
33. What is the best joke you know?
34. Which topping is the best to put on pizza?
35. Who is your favorite person to play with?
36. What spot would make the best secret hideout?
37. If you could meet any famous person (past or present), who would you meet?
38. What is your favorite sport?
39. What do you like to do before you go to bed?
40. What is your favorite book?
41. If you could be any cartoon character, who would it be?
42. What do you think of school?
43. How do you get to school? What do you do when you get there?
44. What are your parents like?
45. If you knew your parents would say yes, what would you do today?
46. If you were a superhero, which superhero would you be? (Batman, Wonderwoman, etc.)
47. What do you love about your birthday?
48. What are you most grateful for about being a kid?
49. If you woke up tomorrow with magical powers what would you do? What power would you hope to have?
50. If you were to give your family a nickname, what would it be?
*See here for more awesome kids questions!
Great Ice Breaker Questions for Teens
Next, these fun and funny ice breaker questions will get any teens or older kids out of their shells!
51. What’s the best thing about being a teenager?
52. If you reincarnated as an animal, what animal would you be?
53. What’s your favorite tv show?
54. Which piece of technology do you own that you think you couldn’t live without?
55. What’s your favorite vacation?
56. Where is one place you would like to travel?
57. Have you ever been to the beach?
58. What is your favorite song?
59. Where do you most like to listen to music?
60. What song do you not like that gets stuck in your head?
61. What is your favorite thing to do outside?
62. Do you have any hobbies?
63. What is one thing you would like to learn?
64. Where is your favorite place to eat?
65. What’s your favorite thing to do right when you wake up?
66. If someone texted you right now, who would you want it to be?
67. Do you eat with your mouth open?
68. What are your favorite and least favorite classes at school?
69. What is something your parents don’t do anymore, and you wish they still did?
70. What makes you happy?
71. What is your biggest pet peeve?
72. What rule makes no sense to you?
73. What’s the weirdest/craziest fashion trend you tried?
74. What’s your favorite emoji?
75. What is one thing that you couldn’t live without (that’s not technology)?
76. Do you like video games? What is your favorite?
77. If you worked at the zoo, what would you want to do?
78. If you had as much money as you wanted for one day only, what would you do?
79. If you were to invent something new, what would it be?
80. Who has been your favorite teacher and why?
81. Who has been your least favorite teacher and why?
82. What is something your parents say that embarrasses you?
83. What is something your parents do that makes you laugh?
84. Are you a breakfast person?
85. What is one weird thing you do (that other people may not do)?
86. What’s the most unusual thing in your room right now?
87. What’s your favorite social media app? What’s an app you can’t stand?
88. If you could only keep 2 apps on your phone, what would they be?
89. What are you looking forward to in the next week or month?
90. What is your earliest childhood memory?
91. What’s the most boring part of your day? What’s the most exciting?
92. What’s one adventurous thing that you’d love to try?
93. What is your absolute favorite sound in the world?
94. What motivates you?
95. What words could someone say to you that would completely freak you out?
96. When has a stranger thought you were a complete weirdo?
97. What’s the best food you’ve ever made yourself?
98. What was something great that happened to you this week?
99. What are the social groups (cliches) in your school, and are you in one?
100. What are you most looking forward to in becoming an adult? What are you least looking forward to?
*Don’t miss the would you rather questions for teens and kids & best questions to ask teens
Good Ice Breaker Questions for Adults
It can be harder to connect as an adult, but these interesting ice breaker questions will help you open up!
101. What’s your job?
102. If you could do anything for a living, what would it be?
103. What’s the best pet you’ve ever had? Why?
104. What are the three best decisions you’ve made in your life?
105. What’s a decision you made that didn’t work out but you learned from?
106. What’s the best vacation you’ve ever been on?
107. Where is your favorite spot in the world? (Could be traveling or your favorite blue chair…)
108. Do you prefer sweet or salty foods?
109. If you could take out something from your typical day, what would it be?
110. What’s the funniest thing you did as a kid that your parents or family still talk about?
111. If you could put anything on a billboard that others would see, what would it be?
112. What is a habit you picked up from childhood that you still do?
113. Who do you admire?
114. What is your favorite smell?
115. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
116. If you were to enter a photography competition, what would you take pictures of?
117. If your life was made into a book, what would the title be?
118. What show on Netflix have you binge-watched the fastest?
119. What type of music do you prefer?
120. What song makes you feel like dancing?
121. What do you think are the top 3 traits a person should have?
122. What is your favorite way to get physical activity?
123. What’s one thing you wish you had stuck with in childhood?
124. What is your ideal day?
125. What has been the biggest challenge you’ve overcome?
126. What is your guilty pleasure?
127. What has been the best purchase of your life?
128. What was the worst purchase you ever made?
129. What is your favorite time of day?
130. If you took a year off and could do anything you wanted for a year, what would you do?
131. What was the last thing you bought?
132. What is something you really hate paying for?
133. What did you get in the MOST trouble for when you were a kid?
134. What is the best book you’ve ever read? (find some great books for women)
135. What is your all-time favorite movie?
136. What is the most challenging job you’ve ever had? Did it teach you anything?
137. What quote do you find to be incredibly inspiring? (For motivation, check out these vision board sayings and growth mindset quotes)
138. What movie has traumatized you for life? (I Am Legend did it for me…)
139. What’s the most disgusting thing you’ve ever seen?
140. Do you like to garden? Are you good or bad at keeping plants alive?
141. What is one thing you have to do to fall asleep at night?
142. What simple pleasure do you most enjoy? (Find an amazing list of simple pleasures)
143. What are you most grateful for as an adult?
144. What do you most love to do in your free time?
145. What is something you hate to do in your free time?
146. If you could change one thing about the world, what would you change?
147. If you could tell your 15-year-old self one thing, what would it be?
148. What would you want people to say about you when you’re gone?
149. If you were ever to be arrested, what’s the most likely thing you’d be arrested for?
150. What event do you look back on and are thankful you’re still alive?
Ice Breaker Questions for Small Groups
Next, these good ice breaker questions are amazing for gatherings, groups of students, or any team-building activities. They promote discussion in a unique way!
151. What’s one thing no one in this group knows about you?
152. If you had a day to do anything you wanted, what would you do?
153. If you had $100 that you had to give away today, who would you give it to?
154. What’s your most beloved tv series of all time?
155. How many countries have you visited?
156. Do you prefer the beach, forest, or mountains?
157. What is one thing you’ve done that terrified you at the time?
158. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
159. Are you a morning person or a night person?
160. What’s the weirdest food you’ve eaten?
161. Would you rather spend all day inside or all day outside?
162. If you started a club or group, what would it be about?
163. If you could be any age, what age would you be?
164. If you could ask any person in the world one thing, who and what would you ask?
165. Have you ever won anything cool?
166. If your house burned down (no one was in it) and you could only save one thing from it, what would it be?
167. If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?
168. What’s your absolute favorite thing to work on when you’re working?
169. Do you have any hidden talents?
170. What’s your happiest life memory?
171. What is the last dream you had?
172. If you started a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve?
173. Are you a person that likes to set goals? What about New Year’s Resolutions?
174. What goal are you most proud of accomplishing?
176. If you had to karaoke one song in front of a group, what would it be?
177. If people started colonizing Mars, would you go?
178. If you could time travel in your own life only, what time period would you go to?
179. What does your name mean? (Has it been passed down? Does it have a story?)
180. What are 3 things you are grateful for in your life today?
181. If you had to sum yourself up in one word, what would that word be?
182. Do you believe in ghosts?
183. What do you feel is taboo in our culture that really needs to not be?
184. If you had to change your name, what would you want your new name to be?
185. What law do think needs to be made?
186. Which law do you think needs to be abolished?
187. If you went on a trip, but could only bring three things, what would they be?
188. If you won the multi-million dollar lottery, what would you do with the money?
189. If you have a significant other, where did you meet?
190. When you are nervous, do you talk a lot or are you quiet?
191. Where is the last place on Earth you would go?
192. What is your favorite activity for relieving stress?
193. If you were to write a book, what would it be about?
194. What is the best gift you have ever received?
195. What historical event from the past do you think is a conspiracy?
196. If you were to start your own business, what would you do?
197. Do you think our technology improves our lives or destroys them?
198. What do you think is the meaning of life?
199. What is your version of success? And what does “happiness” mean to you?
200. If you met an alien from another planet, and you had to sum up the human species in one sentence, what would you say?
- Ultimate List of Things to Talk About
- How to Meet People and Make Friends
- Deep Questions To Get to Know Someone
Ice Breaker Questions Funny
In this section, you’ll find humorous ice breaker questions that are fun and get the giggles going!
201. What is something you say regularly that you never thought you’d say?
202. What “old person” tendency do you have?
203. What song do you love to belt out when no one’s watching?
204. How long would you last if you had to survive on your own in the wilderness?
205. Have you ever laughed so hard you cried? When?
206. What fictional character did you secretly wish you could be as a kid?
Related: Star Wars Trivia Quiz
207. What cute animal secretly freaks you out?
208. What’s your funniest memory from childhood?
209. What’s the most embarrassing thing that your parents did as a kid (or now)?
210. Amongst your friends, who’s the most likely to become a comedian?
211. In your family, who’s the most likely to scream at a spider? (See more great who’s more likely questions)
212. What was the biggest trouble you got in when you were a kid?
213. If you had to try out for a reality tv show, what would it be?
214. What’s the best prank you’ve ever played on someone?
215. What’s the best prank someone played on you?
216. What’s the best joke you know?
217. What commercial from childhood do you still sing to yourself?
218. Do you know how to do the “floss”?
219. What are 2 truths and a lie about you?
220. What celebrity did you (or do you now) wish you could marry?
221. If you had to erase one food from the Earth, what would it be?
222. What crazy or weird tv show do you wish was still on tv?
223. What’s the craziest dare you’ve ever done?
225. What’s the worst haircut you’ve ever had? (And do you have pictures?!)
226. If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
227. If you could keep any animal as your pet, what would you choose?
228. What obsession do you have that’s nerdy or weird?
229. What game show would you be amazing at? (Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, etc.)
230. If you could switch lives with one person, who would it be?
231. If you were invisible for a day, what would you do?
232. If you could have any superpower, what would you want?
233. Do you have any weird collections?
234. Have you ever binge-watched an entire tv series in one night?
235. Have you ever tried to talk your way out of a traffic ticket?
236. If you were a Harry Potter character, who would you be?
237. If you were an Avengers character, who would you be?
238. Would you rather have gold teeth or hair that was green?
239. Would you rather live in the deepest ocean or on Mars?
240. If you had to match your life to a song, what would the song be?
Related: Funny This or That Questions
More Fun Icebreaker Questions for Students
These school icebreakers are great for elementary, middle school, and high school students too.
241. What’s your favorite school subject?
242. What’s your least favorite school subject?
243. Do you like any school sports?
244. Do you play any instruments?
245. If you had to choose reading or math, which would you choose?
246. What’s your favorite thing about lunch?
247. What if you could be the teacher for a day? What would you do?
248. Would you rather skip a grade or go back a grade? Why?
249. What’s your favorite elective class? (Good for high school students)
250. Do you prefer to study for a test ahead of time or cram at the last minute?
251. What’s your favorite item in your backpack right now?
252. What’s the best thing that has happened to you at school?
253. If you had to eat one cafeteria food every day for the rest of your life, what would you want it to be?
254. If you could eliminate one food from the lunch room what would it be?
255. If you could schedule your own school day, what would you want your schedule to look like?
256. When was the last time you did homework? Where did you do it?
257. What’s the best book you’ve read this year?
Related: Try this book trivia quiz!
258. If you could turn any book into real life, which would it be?
259. If you could turn any movie into real life, which would it be?
260. If one of your teachers turned out to be a secret spy, which one do you think it would be?
261. If you could be the principal for a day, what would you do?
262. If you had a robot that helped you at school, what would you want your robot to do?
263. If you had to be stuck in a cartoon, which would you want it to be?
264. If you had to be stuck in a video game, which would you want it to be?
265. What’s your favorite school memory?
266. What is something you hope to get to do in school this year?
267. If you could create your own study or reading space, what would it look like?
268. If you were a teacher, what would you teach?
269. What’s your favorite thing to do during breaks from school?
270. What do you hope you someday get the chance to do?
271. What class or activity does your school not offer and you wish it did?
272. If you had to change your name, what name would you choose?
273. What would you want your teacher to know about you?
274. What is one thing that makes you laugh?
275. What’s something you have in common with the person next to you?
276. What’s something about you that is different from the person sitting next to you?
277. What is something that you thought was easy, but turned out to be hard?
278. What is something you thought was hard, but turned out to be easy?
279. Could you go a week without any technology at school?
280. Have you ever fallen asleep in school?
281. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned recently?
282. What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekend?
283. If you had a million dollars, what would you do first?
284. If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would you go?
285. What motivates you to get your work done?
Try this video for your classroom:
Related: Great Critical Thinking Questions For Kids and Teens
Ice Breaker Questions for Work
Finally, these icebreakers are perfect for virtual meetings and office environments.
286. Can you tell someone about yourself in three sentences or less?
287. What’s something fun you did last weekend?
289. If you had to choose any famous person in the world to work with, who would you pick?
290. If you had to switch lives with anyone in the world, who would you choose?
291. If you meet someone you don’t know at work, what question do you always ask to break the ice?
292. If you could learn a new work skill in 2 minutes, what would you want it to be?
293. What are the top 3 ideas on your bucket list?
294. What’s one thing you hope to never have to do again?
295. What are you most proud to have achieved?
296. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve read or heard lately?
297. What is something you wished you’d done earlier in life?
298. Who has been your biggest mentor? Why?
299. Have you ever mistakenly texted a coworker?
300. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received from someone in the office?
301. What’s the best thing that has happened to you in the workplace?
302. What’s the weirdest thing that’s happened during a meeting?
303. In a virtual meeting, do you turn your video on?
304. If you work from home, do you secretly wear your pajamas to work?
305. What are the best and worst things about working from home?
306. When there’s an awkward silence at work, what do you do?
307. Which of your colleagues do you think would survive longest in a zombie apocalypse?
308. At what point do you feel you are/or will be “successful?”
309. What’s a mistake you made that turned out to be a great thing in your life?
310. What word do you use in email, and you have no idea how to spell it?
311. What is your happiest memory?
312. What was your dream job when you were a kid?
313. What was your first job?
314. What has been your worst job ever?
315. What’s a quote that you find inspiring?
316. Are you a big sports fan?
317. Name three things you love outside of work.
318. What’s your favorite family tradition at home?
319. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever received?
320. What’s the worst career advice you’ve ever received?
321. If you had to write a book about your workplace, what kind of book would it be? (murder mystery, action, romantic novel, etc.)
322. Do you prefer to read things (like articles and books) or watch (like Youtube and video courses)?
323. What’s the kindest thing someone has done for you?
324. What song cheers you up after a bad day?
325. What do you wish you spent less time doing at work?
326. What do you wish you spent more time doing at work?
327. What’s your biggest pet peeve at work?
328. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
329. Do you think there’s such a thing as work/life balance?
330. If you could create your perfect workday, what would it look like?
331. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
332. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
333. If you had to go back in time to live an age over again, what age would you choose?
334. What team-building activity do you love?
335. What type of team-building activity do you secretly hate?
336. If you had to pick only one goal to focus on at work, what would it be?
337. Besides family and friends, what are the top 3-5 things that are most important to you?
338. If you could experience one moment at work over again, what would it be?
339. If you work on a remote team, what’s one thing you think would help it function better?
340. What’s your favorite thing about the job you have now?
More Icebreaker Activities & Games To Try:
Buy a big bowl of candy (or something else colorful) and give each person an array of colors. For each color, kids have to tell a different type of fact about themselves.
Use the ideas in the image above, or create your own things to share per color. For Starbursts, you could try….
Pink – favorite animal
Red – what they ate for breakfast
Orange – favorite place to go, etc…
More Games For Young Kids
Heads Up 7 Up – It’s an oldie but a goodie!
Musical Chairs – A great game for getting little ones moving!
More Icebreaker Games For Older Kids & Adults
Two Truths & A Lie – Each person takes turns telling three statements about themselves. Two are true statements and the other is a fib. The group must guess which is which. Find great ideas for 2 truths & a lie >>
Human Knot – Participants stand in a circle and hold hands with two other people who are not next to them. Then, the group has to untangle themselves without letting go of each other’s hands.
Personal Trivia – Each person writes three relatively unknown facts about themselves on a slip of paper. The slips are then collected and read aloud and the group guesses who the facts belong to.
*Or try these easier true or false questions with kids who are shy.
Find many more Epic Ice Breaker Games & Activities For Students >>
Quick Tips for Getting To Know Others
Remember that there are no wrong answers! Before you start, remind others to keep an open mind. Also:
- Answer the question first to get the ball rolling
- Keep the pace moving
- Allow others to pass on a question if they aren’t comfortable answering
- Consider your purpose. Are you trying to break down barriers, team build, or just get to know each other?
To Consider With Your Icebreakers
If you use these fun icebreakers, you’ll notice an immediate sense of comfort and depth in the room.
What you’ll find is that we all have commonalities that bring us together. And differences too, that make us all unique and interesting human beings.
So, what do you think are the best ice breaker questions? Have you used them with kids or groups? I’d love to know!
For more on the benefits of meeting people, check out this article >>
Find more popular posts at HHI…
- The Best Quotes for Overcoming Adversity – Messages that will inspire to beat your biggest obstacles.
- 95 Fearless Self-Love Affirmations – change the way you think about yourself.
- The Big List of Non-Toy Gifts for Kids – no more junk!