What Are Some Birthday Questions?
“The days are long but the years are short.”Gretchen Rubin
Now that my oldest kids are older, I can not believe how fast the time has gone. It seems like yesterday I was helping my firstborn put on his velcro shoes. But, I blinked, and we’re knee-deep in Minecraft. What’s next?!
Lately, I find that there’s so much I don’t remember from when they were younger. The details of their loves, dreams, and quirks are lost.
As a result, I created these birthday interview questions and a birthday questionnaire as an effective way to document the fast growth of our kids.
So that later on, we can relive this amazing and sometimes difficult time of watching our kids become amazing human beings.
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no cost to you if you purchase. See my disclaimer for more.
Plus, not only do children learn vocabulary best through interaction (source), but these questions are an easy way to connect deeply. Do it yearly, and you have a wonderful tradition that creates special memories for years!
In this post, you’ll find questions for young kids, older kids, funny questions, and a free printable.
And these interview questions for kids aren’t just for birthdays! Try them for:
- New Year’s Eve
- Beginning of a new school year
- End of a school year
- Summertime fun (put them on your bucket list!)
- Any transitionary or milestone time in your lives
Or just ask the questions when you need to bond with your child and get them talking! Here you go!
Interview Questions for Younger Kids
These are the basic birthday questions, perfect for toddlers!
1. What is your name?
2. What day is your birthday?
3. What is the best thing about your birthday?
4. What is your favorite thing to do?
5. What is your favorite toy? Or non-toy item?
6. What is your favorite thing to eat?
7. What is your favorite show or movie?
8. What is your favorite book?
9. What are you really good at?
10. What do you like to do with your mom?
11. What do you like to do with your dad?
12. What do you like to do with your brother/sister?
13. What is the best thing that has ever happened to you?
14. What is your favorite season of the year?
15. What is your favorite type of weather?
16. What’s your favorite holiday? Why?
17. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
18. What’s your favorite thing about nature?
19. What’s your favorite thing about your home?
20. When you grow up, what do you want to do?
*See the free printable at the end of the post for the birthday questionnaire above!
Related Post: Unforgettable Traditions to Make a Birthday Special
Birthday Interview Questions for Older Kids
Next, ask any of the questions above to your big kids, and try the more in-depth questions below! Plus, take a yearly video to make it a sweet memory you can all look at later!
21. What’s one thing you learned in the past year?
22. What’s one thing you’d love to learn this year?
23. What do you wish for in the next year?
24. What was the best thing about being ____ (6, 8, 11)?
25. What is something you accomplished in your last year?
26. What’s the best thing about turning a year older?
27. What was the most fun thing you did in the last year?
28. Who is your best friend? What is he/she like?
29. What is your favorite thing to do with your family?
30. What do you enjoy learning about?
31. What do you like to collect?
32. What makes you happy?
33. If you could invent something, what would it be?
34. Which one of your senses could you not live without?
35. If you found a genie and had three wishes, what would they be?
36. What makes you want to dance?
37. What is something that used to be hard, but is now easy?
38. If you could only keep one thing in your room, what would it be?
39. If you were the president for a day, what would you do?
40. If you could buy anything, what would you buy?
41. If you were the school principal for a day, what would you do?
42. If you had to change your name, what would you change it to?
43. If you could go back in time, when and where would you go?
44. What kind of music do you like?
45. If you were to bury a secret treasure, where would you bury it?
*To find a secret treasure, check out this scavenger hunt!
46. What is your favorite memory?
47. If you could create a rule that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
48. If you could change one thing about our world, what would it be?
49. What does a perfect day look like for you?
50. What country would you live to visit?
51. How have you helped others lately?
52. What’s the worst chore to do at our house?
*Find a free weekly kids chore chart HERE >>
53. What’s your favorite thing about your bedroom?
54. What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
55. What’s your favorite thing about school?
56. What’s your least favorite thing about school?
57. What school subject do you find the most interesting?
58. When was the last time you tried something new?
59. What do you like to talk about with your friends?
60. What do you like to do with your friends?
65. What is something you are thankful for?
61. If you could go anywhere, where would you go?
62. If you could do anything you wanted for a day, what would you do?
63. When was the last time you were proud of yourself?
64. If you could invite someone famous to dinner, who would it be?
Want more types of questions?
- This List of Would You Rather Questions for Kids
- Ice Breaker Questions for Kids (great for a birthday party!)
- Never Have I Ever Questions Kids Edition
- The Best List of Fun Questions to Ask Your Family
Funny Birthday Questions to Ask
Now it’s time to get the giggles going! Try these!
66. How much does a car cost? How much does a container of milk cost?
67. If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it?
68. What do you love to do that no one knows about?
69. What’s the funniest joke you know?
70. How old do you think mom and dad are?
71. What’s the grossest thing you have ever seen?
72. What’s the funniest thing you have ever seen?
73. If you could make up your own holiday, what would it be?
74. If you were a dessert, what would you be?
75. If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
76. If you could create an animal, what would it look like? What would it do?
77. What was one funny thing that happened today or yesterday?
78. What do you think animals would say if they could talk?
79. If you could only eat one dessert for the rest of your life, what would it be?
80. What’s something that made you laugh lately?
81. If you could go to space, what would you do there?
82. What does your mom or dad do for a job?
83. What do mom and dad like to do for fun?
84. How old are grandma and grandpa?
85. What is the funniest/strangest thing about our family?
Check out these other ways to be more playful together too!
Get the Free Birthday Interview Printable!
Fill out the birthday questionnaire, then find a simple binder and make a birthday book out of your yearly interviews!
And check these out if you’d love a free birthday letter template, or a free thank you for coming to my birthday party printable.
To Consider With the Birthday Questions
Finally, a birthday interview doesn’t have to be complicated, but it is something that will last the test of time.
So, enjoy the free interview or take a short video of a few questions every year as a beautiful testimony to your kids’ childhood.
What are your favorite birthday interview questions? Will you use the questionnaire? I’d love to know!
Q & A for Kids – Everyday Questions
For everyday questions with kids, check out this awesome book that builds connection:
Other Family Activity Posts to Enjoy…
- Best Questions to Get To Know Someone Better
- Best Birthday Activities To Do With Family
- Great List of Ice Breaker Kids Games
- Easter basket ideas for Boys & Awesome Baskets for Girls