What are some fun fall trivia questions?
The trees are alive with vibrant colors, the air is crisp, and the smell of pumpkin spice surrounds us. It’s time to cozy up with your favorite people and have fun with these fall trivia questions!
Easy Fall Trivia Questions For Kids
First, test your kids and see if they know these fun fall facts with this quiz!
1. What is the name of the season that comes before winter?
2. What is another word to use for the fall season?
3. What do trees do during the fall season to prepare for winter?
They lose their leaves.
4. What popular plant grows on a vine and is often associated with Halloween?
5. What popular fruit is picked from trees in the fall and can be turned into pies?
6. In what month does fall begin in the Northern Hemisphere?
7. In what month does fall begin in the Southern Hemisphere?
8. What holiday is celebrated on October 31st?
9. What American holiday is celebrated in November?
10. What is the name of the period when farmers gather crops from the fields?
11. Where do people often go to pick the perfect pumpkin?
A pumpkin patch
12. How did “fall” get its name?
From leaves falling from the tree during this season.
13. What is the autumnal equinox?
The first day of fall when the day and night are equal in length.
14. What is the approximate date of the autumnal equinox?
September 22 or 23 (in the Northern Hemisphere)
15. What event happens at the end of fall, causing clocks to be set back?
Daylight Saving Time Ends
16. There are two U.S. states that do not follow daylight savings. What are they?
Arizona and Hawaii
17. What are the three fall zodiac signs?
Libra, Scorpio, and Sagittarius
18. What popular American sport often signifies the unofficial start to fall?
19. What is the term for the clear days of fall that are warm but not too hot?
20. Name two colors that are associated with fall.
Orange, red, yellow, brown
21. What do kids often do at the end of summer and the beginning of fall?
They go back to school.
22. What happens to the amount of daylight in the fall? (Hint: Does it get shorter or longer?)
It gets shorter.
23. What happens to the temperature in the fall?
It starts to gradually decrease.
24. What is the ancient Greek Goddess Demeter known for?
The Goddess of Harvest
25. What is the name of the moon associated with fall?
The harvest moon
Also, check out these awesome fall books for kids!
Fall Food Trivia Questions and Answers
Next, grab a drink and a snack and find out what you know about fall food trivia.
26. What warm drink is made from apples and spice?
Hot apple cider
27. What popular warm fall drink contains a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice?
Pumpkin spice latte
28. Picture Quiz: Name this fall vegetable.
29. Picture Quiz. Name this fall food.
30. Picture Quiz: What delicious crunchy fall snack can be roasted and eaten?
Pumpkin seeds or Pepitas
31. What delicious fall fruit can be eaten immediately after being picked?
32. What main entree is typically served at Thanksgiving tables?
33. What type of fruit is often used to make a sauce for Thanksgiving?
34. What is the name of the warm, spiced drink made from brewed tea, milk, and various spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger?
35. What type of nut is often used to make a classic fall pie?
36. What is commonly used in fall recipes like soups and sauces and is known for its earthy flavor?
37. Which type of alcoholic beverage is made from fermented apples and is often enjoyed during fall festivals?
38. What is the name of the sweet, flaky pastry filled with a spiced pumpkin mixture, enjoyed during the fall season?
39. What type of vegetable is used to make sauerkraut, a fermented dish commonly enjoyed in the fall?
40. What fall food is often turned into a delicious and sweet bread?
41. Coworkers, neighbors, and friends often have a cook-off with what cooler weather food?
42. What vegetable is typically harvested in late summer or early fall and its stalks can make a fun maze?
43. What nutritious vegetable is often associated with holiday feasts and has a savory and slightly sweet taste (that pairs well with bacon)?
44. Caramel is a delicious treat when paired with what fall fruit?
45. Sticky and tasty, what treat is made with marshmallows, butter, and popcorn?
46. What classic cookie is made with sugar and cinnamon?
47. What round and delicious baked treat might you find if you visit an apple orchard?
Apple cider donuts
48. What delicious fall spice is rich in antioxidants and may help support blood sugar?
49. If you don’t drink coffee or cider, this rich and warm treat may be for you. What is it?
50. What fall staple can be made into a sweet dessert or a savory soup?
Check out these healthy recipes for fall!
Pumpkin Facts Trivia
This section is filled with fun autumn facts and trivia all about pumpkins.
51. True or False: Pumpkins are a vegetable.
False- They are a fruit because they come from the flowers of their plant and have seeds inside.
52. Which explorer is credited with introducing pumpkins to Europe in the 15th century?
53. Who spread pumpkins around the world by cultivating them in Africa, China, and Japan?
54. In what country did the tradition of pumpkin carving originate?
55. What vitamin is found in abundance in pumpkins and is good for vision?
56. What part of the pumpkin do you scoop out before carving?
The pulp and seeds
57. Which U.S. state has a city that is known as the “Pumpkin Capital of the World”?
Illinois- Morton, Illinois is home to Libby’s, the producer of 85% of the world’s canned pumpkin (source)
58. Pumpkins belong to the same plant family as what other plant?
59. True or False: Pumpkin flowers are edible.
60. True or False: Every part of the pumpkin is edible.
True- This includes the skin, leaves, flowers, and stem.
61. What color is most often associated with a ripe pumpkin?
62. What do we call a pumpkin that has been hollowed out, carved, and has a lit candle inside?
Answer: A- 500 seeds
64. Once they sprout, about how many days does it take a pumpkin to reach maturity?
A. 40-50 days
B. 30-45 days
C. 90-120 days
D. 70-90 days
Answer: C- 90-120 days
65. There are over how many different types of pumpkins?
Answer: D- 150 (source)
66. What country holds the record for the largest pumpkin ever weighing in at almost 2,702 pounds in 2021? (source)
C. United States
Answer: A- Italy
67. Along with carrots and sweet potatoes, what gives pumpkins its orange coloring and turns into Vitamin A after you eat it?
68. Pumpkins originated in Central America, but now grow on every continent except for which one?
69. True or False: Over 1.5 million pounds of pumpkins are grown every year in the U.S.
False- Over 1.5 billion pounds
70. When the pilgrims relocated to North America, how did they learn how to cook pumpkins?
Native Americans taught them.
71. What is the largest overall species of pumpkin that can grow as much as 50 pounds per day?
72. True or False: Pumpkins are almost 50% water.
False- They are almost 90% water.
Fall Celebrations Trivia Questions
Next, learn about fall celebrations around the world and in different cultures.
73. What is the term for the Chinese festival that marks the end of the harvest season and is often celebrated in September?
Mid-Autumn Festival or Moon Festival
74. Which harvest festival is observed by many Native Americans, usually in late September or early October?
Feast of the Hunters Moon
75. Which Mexican holiday, starting on October 31st and ending on November 2nd, honors deceased loved ones?
Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)
76. In which country did the tradition of Oktoberfest originate, featuring a variety of beer and hearty foods?
77. What is the name of the Jewish holiday, also known as the Festival of Lights, that usually falls in late fall or early winter?
78. Which holiday is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States?
79. In India, what festival is celebrated in the fall, symbolizing the victory of light over darkness and good over evil?
80. What is the Japanese festival held in fall that celebrates the changing of the leaves, known as “red leaves viewing”?
81. In the United States, what spooky holiday is celebrated on October 31st, involving costumes, trick-or-treating, and jack-o’-lanterns?
Halloween (See Halloween Trivia Questions)
82. Which Christian holiday is observed on November 1st?
All Saints’ day
83. What is the name of the festival celebrated in China and other Asian countries, often involving colorful lanterns, during the fall?
84. In the United States, what day is typically observed on November 11th?
85. What is the term for the Canadian holiday that falls on the second Monday of October, and promotes giving thanks for the harvest and blessings of the past year?
86. Halloween is celebrated on October 31st. What else is October 31st called?
All Hallows’ Eve
87. The Thanksgiving tradition is rooted in the Pilgrims’ celebration of their first successful harvest in what year?
Answer: D- 1621
88. What American holiday is celebrated on the second Monday of October?
89. What large autumn festival started in 1972 in Albuquerque, New Mexico?
International Balloon Fiesta
90. What American holiday is celebrated on the fourth Friday of September?
Native American Day
Fall Pop Culture Trivia Questions
Fall pop culture trivia is all about movies, songs, literature, and television.
91. What famous story about a headless horseman and a nervous school teacher is set during the autumn season?
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
92. What novel by Louisa May Alcott is set in 19th century New England, follows the lives of four sisters, and highlights many fall events?
93. What classic novel follows Holden Caulfield as he wanders around New York City during the fall season?
The Catcher in the Rye
94. “Oh captain, my captain!” What movie is about a free-thinking English teacher at a Vermont boarding school who challenges his students to start thinking for themselves?
Dead Poets Society
95. What movie is based on a true story about the son of a coal miner that goes on to become a NASA engineer?
96. What romantic comedy starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan takes place among the falling leaves of Central Park?
When Harry Met Sally
97. Fall equals football and this movie, based on a true story, follows a football team at a newly integrated high school. What movie is it?
Remember the Titans
98. Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron star in this rom-com about a fall month that changes their lives. What movie is it?
99. Originally sung in French, this song has been covered countless times by artists including Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and Bing Crosby. Its lyrics reflect the nature of the fall season. What is it?
100. What upbeat and catchy song by Earth, Wind, and Fire is like an anthem for celebrating the arrival of fall?
101. What Green Day song from their 2004 album has become synonymous with the beginning of fall and the passage of time?
“Wake Me Up When September Ends”
102. “Autumn Leaves” is a 2011 song by what popular artist?
103. What 2013 indie track by The Neighbourhood has us reaching for our comfiest sweater?
104. What iconic TV series is set in the fictional town of Stars Hollow and often features fall festivals and celebrations?
105. In the TV show “The Office,” what is the name of the annual fall party that often leads to quirky costumes and antics?
106. What is the name of the fictional town where “Stranger Things” is set, which experiences eerie occurrences during fall?
107. In “Parks and Recreation,” what character loves the fall season and even has a “Harvest Festival” plotline?
Leaf Facts and Nature Quiz
108. What pigment gives leaves their green color during the growing season?
109. What type of tree sheds its leaves annually?
110. What gas do leaves absorb from the air during photosynthesis?
111. What colors do the carotenoids in leaves produce?
Yellow, orange, and brown
112. Which tree is known for its spiky leaves and produced acorns?
113. What do you call a tree that retains its leaves throughout the year?
114. What is the name of the type of tree that produces cones instead of leaves?
115. What is the practice of collecting fallen leaves to use as a natural fertilizer called?
mulching or leaf composting
116. What type of tree is commonly associated with syrup production in the fall?
117. What do you call the process of plants bending or growing toward a source of light?
118. What type of tree does this leaf come from?
119. What is the name of the pigment that causes leaves to turn red and purple?
120. What part of the U.S. is best known for its beautiful fall foliage?
121. True or False: The amount of moisture in the soil also affects autumn colors.
122. True or False: Forests in warmer climates have more diverse tree species but their colors do not change like those with colder climates.
123. True or False: The brightest trees are produced after cool summer days and cold (but not freezing) nights.
False: Warm summer days and cold evenings.
124. Which astronomical event occurs when the moon is closest to the Earth in its orbit, making it appear larger and brighter in the night sky?
125. What type of tree is known for its distinctive peeling bark, often revealing patches of white or light green underneath?
126. What is the activity of leaf peeping?
Viewing and photographing autumn leaves that have changed colors.
127. What spectacular light event in the sky do you have the best chance of seeing on a clear fall evening?
The Northern Lights
Autumn Animal Trivia Questions and Answers
128. What is the phenomenon called where flocks of birds fly south for the winter?
129. What do animals prepare for in the upcoming winter months by storing food and increasing their body fat?
130. What species travels thousands of miles to their wintering grounds in Mexico?
131. Which small mammal is known for its bushy tail, and is often seen darting across the ground in fall to store nuts for winter?
132. What is the term for the hibernation-like state that some animals enter during the cold winter months to conserve energy?
133. Which fish species is known for its journey upstream to spawn, often leaping waterfalls?
134. What type of bird is known for flying south for the winter in a “V” formation?
135. Which large, furry animal is known for hibernating through the cold winter months?
136. True or False: Autumn is the prime mating season for species like deer and moose.
137. What type of ocean creature is typically harvested in the “Autumn Harvest”?
138. What is it called when deer lose the velvet on their antlers in the fall?
139. Fallen dead leaves help protect seeds through the winter. They also help protect what type of underground nests?
140. In the fall, what will furry animals grow in preparation for cold weather?
A winter coat.
Host A Fall Trivia Event
Organize a fall trivia event for a fun way to connect with friends and family.
- Choose an outdoor location with great fall foliage.
- Play fall trivia! Divide the group into teams and keep score.
- Have a small fall-themed prize for the winning team.
- Provide yummy fall snacks and fall drinks!
Other activities for a fall party include:
- Go on an outdoor nature scavenger hunt for all ages.
- Play fall this or that questions game.
- Include NFL football trivia and Fun Thanksgiving Trivia too!
*Also, use fall trivia questions and answers for a creative fall date idea!
Next, check out this fall bucket list to get the most out of this beautiful season!
Did you know we have even more trivia?
Check out all of our trivia posts to add to your next family night fall party!
These are some of our readers’ favorites: