Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Halloween trivia is the game.
Will you know the questions we name?
While most people know the basic traditions of this haunting holiday, Halloween trivia will test even the most die-hard Halloween enthusiast.
Play along and indulge in the chills and thrills of Halloween with a variety of trivia questions and answers.
Host A Halloween Trivia Party
Halloween is a time for spooky stories, frightening costumes, and sweet treats. Add this trivia game to your next Halloween party!
- Set the scene. Choose spooky or fun decorations of your choice.
- Invite friends and neighbors to come in their favorite Halloween costumes.
- Have a variety of Halloween-themed food snacks and drinks. (We love mummy dogs and witch fingers)
- Play Halloween trivia! Divide the group into teams and keep score. Have a Halloween-related prize (or candy) for the winning team!
- Other party activities include pumpkin carving, watching a scary movie, and a Halloween scavenger hunt for the kids.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may earn a commission at no cost to you. See our disclaimer for more.
Easy Halloween Trivia for Kids
First, these easier Halloween trivia questions are fun for kids of all ages.
1. What day is Halloween celebrated every year?
2. What do kids say when they go trick-or-treating at someone’s door?
“Trick or Treat”
3. What colors are traditionally associated with Halloween?
Orange and black
4. What do people traditionally wear on Halloween?
5. What do kids collect on Halloween night?
6. Traditionally, why do people wear costumes on Halloween?
To avoid attracting spirits’ attention.
7. What might people “bob” for at Halloween parties?
8. What is carved to make a jack o’lantern?
9. What do people carve into pumpkins to make Jack-o’-lanterns?
Faces or spooky designs
10. What black-colored animal is said to bring bad luck?
11. Where is Count Dracula’s home located?
12. What do people often wear on their faces during Halloween to pretend they are someone else?
13. What magical creatures can be seen riding broomsticks and are associated with Halloween?
14. What place might you visit to be spooked and scared on Halloween?
A haunted house
15. What is the name of a popular and friendly movie ghost?
16. What spooky Halloween symbol is made by hanging white fabric?
17. What is the traditional color of a witch’s hat?
18. To scare someone on Halloween, you may jump out and say what?
19. What did the “trick” in trick-or-treating originally mean?
A prank played by children.
20. What is the name of the holiday celebrated on November 1st, the day after Halloween?
All Saints’ Day
21. What mammal that can fly is associated with Halloween?
Check out Halloween Traditions You Can Start Now.
Halloween Candy Trivia
What candy treat do you most want to find in your Halloween haul? Use the Halloween picture quiz and other questions to see what facts you know about candy.
22. Using the picture above, what was the top-selling Halloween candy in America in 2022?
Answer: C- Reese’s Cups! (source)
23. Using the picture above, what was the second top-selling Halloween candy in America in 2022?
Answer: B- Skittles
24. Using the picture above, what is the original name of the sweet candy in picture A?
Now called candy corn, it was originally called Chicken Feed. It’s white, orange, and yellow stripes are supposed to resemble a corn kernel.
25. Besides Milky Way, what was the other candy bar to come in a mini size called “fun size” first? Use the picture above.
Answer: A- Snickers
26. Using the picture above, which candy bar is sold in more than 350 flavors in Japan?
Answer: C- Kit Kats
27. What candy bar has a right and a left?
28. What candy was a staple in every US troops ration during World War II?
29. Quaker Oats launched a candy line responsible for Laffy Taffy and Everlasting Gobstoppers after helping finance what film?
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
30. What German company is famous for its gummy bears?
31. Finish the jingle. “Gimme a break/ Gimme a break/ ……..”
“Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat Bar.”
32. Where can chocolate lovers find the home to the world headquarters of the Hershey Chocolate Company?
33. What Halloween candy has been considered a “contentious” Halloween candy because of reasons like texture and sweetness?
Candy corn: 49% find it tasty, 23% find it gross, 21% don’t like it but think it’s important to Halloween (source)
34. What can you find on each wrapper of Laffy Taffy? It’s what gives it its name.
35. There have been many experiments to test how many licks it takes to get to the center of what candy?
36. How many calories does the average American child consume from Halloween candy?
Answer: D- 3,500-7,000 calories
37. About how much, on average, do consumers spend on Halloween candy?
Answer: C- $100
38. What do the two M’s in M&M’s stand for?
A. Milky and Marvelous
B. Maker and Man
C. Milton and Men
D. Mars and Murrie
Answer: D- Mars and Murrie- The last names of the businessmen who developed and financed the candy.
39. The Snickers bar was named after what animal?
A. A cat
B. A dog
C. A racehorse
D. A donkey
Answer: C- A racehorse
40. What three flavors of candy did the 3 Musketeers candy bar originally contain?
A. Chocolate, Carmel, and Vanilla
B. Chocolate, White Chocolate, and Vanilla
C. Strawberry, Chocolate, and Carmel
D. Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla
Answer: D: Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla
41. A standard pillowcase can hold about how many pieces of candy?
Answer: C- 1600
42. True or False: The Milky Way candy bar was meant to mimic the taste of a malted milkshake which was popular in the 1920s.
43. True or False: Even though Twizzlers are known as licorice candy, only the black licorice packages contain licorice extract.
44. True or False: Salt water taffy is made from saltwater.
45. True or False: 89% of Americans who celebrate Halloween will purchase candy for Halloween.
False- 95% will purchase candy. (source)
46. True or False: The creator of Dum Dums named these suckers because he thought it was a word that any child could say.
47. True or False: The flavor of the Fun Dips Stick is vanilla.
False: It is unknown
48. True or False: Half of all the candy sold in the U.S. each year is purchased for Halloween.
False- One quarter
Check out more Candy Trivia Questions like this!
Halloween History Quiz and Facts
How much do you know about the history of Halloween? Answer these questions about the origins of this spooky holiday and how Halloween is celebrated around the world.
49. What ancient Celtic festival is believed to be the origin of Halloween?
50. What were the original jack-o’-lanterns carved out of?
51. Historically, Halloween costumes and masks were believed to confuse the spirits and prevent them from causing harm to those wearing them. Who started this tradition?
52. What country is considered the birthplace of Halloween?
53. What is celebrated in Mexico from October 31st to November 2nd that honors deceased loved ones with lively festivities?
The Day of the Dead
54. The Obon festival honors the dead in a manner similar to Halloween and includes customs like lighting lanterns and performing traditional dances. In what country does this celebration occur?
55. Trick-or-treating emerged from what medieval custom where people would go door to door offering prayers for the dead in exchange for “soul cakes.”
56. What does “hallow” mean?
To make sacred.
57. What do the traditional Halloween colors of orange and black symbolize?
Harvest and death
58. What is Allhallowtide?
A three-day religious observance including Halloween (Oct. 31), All Saints Day (Nov 1), and All Souls Day (Nov 2).
59. Which European immigrants brought Halloween traditions to America?
60. What did people traditionally light on Halloween to guide spirits back to the afterlife?
61. What did the term “guising” refer to in Scotland during Halloween?
Dressing up in costume and performing for treats.
62. What holiday was eventually combined with Halloween in America to create the modern day celebration?
All Saints’ Day
63. What name is also given to Halloween night?
All Hallows’ Eve
64. What is the name of the book that helped popularize Halloween in America?
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
65. What should you sprinkle on your doorstep if you want to keep evil spirits out of your house on Halloween night?
66. What is the fear of Halloween called?
67. What was the name of the first American city to hold a Halloween celebration? It included parties and public events.
68. What famous magician died on Halloween in 1926?
69. In what country is it tradition for people to hide their knives on Halloween night to prevent returning spirits from getting injured?
Answer: B- Germany
Answer: A- 1920s
Related: USA Trivia
Halloween Symbols Quiz
Next, are questions and answers about familiar Halloween symbols.
71. What is the name of this popular Halloween symbol pictured below?
72. The name jack-o’-lantern is from an Irish folktale about a man who fooled the devil. In turn, he was forced to walk the Earth with only a burning coal in a hollowed turnip to light his way. What was the name of this man?
73. What Halloween creature transforms from a human to a bat?
74. Why is a ghost a symbol of Halloween?
It’s believed that the spirits of the dead can walk among the living on Halloween night.
75. What does the skull symbol mean?
Death or danger
76. Besides death, the Mexican skull also represents what?
77. What fall and Halloween symbol placed in a field has the purpose to frighten?
78. What creature is often associated with Halloween, good fortune, and magic?
79. What animal is often associated with witches and black magic during Halloween?
A black cat
80. What creepy crawl creatures are associated with abandoned and spooky places?
81. Besides orange and black, what is a third color associated with Halloween, magic, and witchcraft?
82. Typically a large pot over an open fire, this is also where the Pagans believed a person’s soul went when they died which also symbolized the goddess’ womb. What is it?
83. What place would you not want to visit on Halloween night if you are afraid of ghosts or supernatural beings?
84. What is the term for the fear of cemeteries?
85. True or False: Pumpkins are classified as a fruit, not as a vegetable.
86. True or False: The record for the world’s fastest pumpkin carving time is less than 25 seconds.
True- Stephen Clarke holds this record.
Check out Animal Trivia Questions!
Halloween Spooky Monster Trivia
Spooky monsters, creatures, and animals make these Halloween trivia questions extra haunting!
87. What classic horror movie monster is created through an electrical experiment and has bolts in its neck?
88. What classic horror movie monster comes back to life, arms outstretched, and shuffles slowly forward?
89. What Halloween monster is a wicked, magical being that uses spells and potions for evil purposes?
90. What vampire, known as the “Prince of Darkness,” is a famous Halloween monster from literature?
91. What Halloween monster is a corpse that rises from the dead and feeds on human flesh?
92. What Halloween monster is a supernatural being that transforms into a bat and drinks the blood of the living?
93. What supernatural creature is said to transform into a wolf during the full moon and is associated with Halloween?
94. What historical jokesters have turned into a modern and often scary version because of movies and shows?
95. What large, black bird is often associated with bad omens and death?
96. What legendary spirit supposedly haunts the community of Sleepy Hollow?
The Headless Horseman
Answer: D- Witch
Halloween Movie Trivia For Kids
Next, kids will enjoy these fun (and less scary) Halloween movie trivia questions and answers.
98. In Monsters, Inc., what do the monsters collect from children to power their city?
99. In Hotel Transylvania, what is the name of Dracula’s daughter?
100. What Disney Halloween movie follows Jack Skellington, The Pumpin King, as he discovers Christmas?
The Nightmare Before Christmas
101. In The Addams Family, what is the name of the daughter who loves all things spooky?
102. In Hocus Pocus, what three witches are accidentally resurrected on Halloween night?
Winifred, Sarah, and Mary Sanderson
103. In the movie, Halloweentown, what family of witches does Marnie Piper come from?
104. What is the name of the friendly vampire who doesn’t like the taste of blood in Hotel Transylvania?
105. What is the name of the kind, furry blue giant monster who befriends a little girl in Monsters, Inc.?
106. What is the name of the dog who becomes a ghostly companion to Jack in The Nightmare Before Christmas?
107. In Coraline, what is the name of the alternate world Coraline discovers?
The Other World
108. In Frankenweenie, what is the name of Victor Frankenstein’s pet dog who is brought back to life?
109. What is the name of the movie in which a kind young ghost peacefully haunts a mansion in Maine?
110. In the movie, Corpse Bride, what does Victor mistakenly place the wedding ring on? It causes him to marry the Corpse Bride.
A tree branch.
111. In ParaNorman, what special ability does Norman have?
He can see and speak to ghosts.
112. What movie features three teens that discover that their neighbor’s house is really a living monster?
113. What is the name of the dog to crime-solving friends Fred, Daphe, Shaggy, and Velma?
114. In what movie are the spirits of a deceased couple harassed by an unbearable family that has moved into their home?
115. In Coco, Miguel dreams of becoming what? (Despite his family’s generations-old ban)
116. Spookley is a pumpkin that feels different because of what reason?
He is square instead of round.
117. This popular picture book turned animated television film, tells the story of a kind witch who invites a collection of animals to join her on her broom. What is the name of this film?
Room on the Broom
118. In Curious George: A Halloween Boo Fest, what is the tale of the Legend of No Noggin?
No Noggin is a hat-kicking scarecrow who appears on Halloween to kick people’s hats off.
Halloween Movie Trivia for Adults
“Whatever you do, don’t fall asleep.”– Nancy Thomas, Nightmare on Elm Street
119. What is the most commercially successful horror film of all time?
120. What is the name of the young boy who can see and communicate with ghosts in the movie The Sixth Sense?
121. What is the name of the masked killer in the Halloween movies?
122. What is the name of the doll possessed by a serial killer’s soul in the Child’s Play movie series?
123. In The Silence of the Lambs, Anthony Hopkins played what character?
Dr. Hannibal Lecter
124. In the movie The Shining, what phrase does Jack Torrance repeatedly type on his typewriter?
“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”
125. In Scream, what does the killer always wear?
A Ghostface mask
126. In Poltergeist, what terrorizes the main character?
The Clown Doll
127. In Friday the 13th, what does Jason Voorhees wear on his face?
A hockey mask
128. What is the name of the fateful hotel in Psycho?
129. What is the name of the girl who is possessed by a demon in the horror classic The Exorcist?
130. Who is the serial killer who haunts people’s dreams in A Nightmare on Elm Street?
131. In the movie Candyman, how do you summon the Candyman?
You say “Candyman” five times in front of a mirror.
132. What horror movie features a chainsaw as the killer’s weapon?
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
133. What is the name of the haunted hotel in The Shining?
The Overlook Hotel
134. A man with a meat hook terrorizes a group of friends for their past in this 90s movie. What is it?
I Know What You Did Last Summer
135. In the movie The Omen, what is the name of the young boy who turns out to be the Antichrist?
136. What movie series follows Jamie Lee Curtis as she is stalked by a murderer?
137. In this lighter supernatural classic, parapsychologists start a ghost-catching business in New York City. What is it?
138. Prom gets bloody in what Stephen King novel of the same name?
139. What movie stars Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise and is based on an Anne Rice novel?
Interview With The Vampire
140. What 1982 film (written by Steven Spielberg) focused on a suburban family whose home is invaded by ghosts that abduct their youngest daughter?
Halloween Music Quiz
Next, find out what you know about Halloween music with these trivia quiz questions.
141. What Michael Jackson song features a spooky music video with dancing zombies?
142. What hit 1962 Halloween song was recorded by Bobby Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers?
143. The song “This is Halloween” is from what popular Tim Burton directed movie?
The Nightmare Before Christmas
144. “If there’s something strange/ In your neighborhood/ Who are you gonna call?”
145. Finish this song lyric by Rockwell, “I always feel like…..”
“Somebody’s watching me.”
146. In the song “The Monster,” who collaborates with Rihanna and raps about the darker aspects of fame?
147. What is the name of the bone-chilling theme song from the movie Halloween (1978)?
“Halloween Theme” by John Carpenter
148. What song by Blue Öyster Cult is often associated with Halloween and has lyrics about a sinister cult?
“(Don’t Fear) The Reaper”
149. What song by the band The Cranberries is about the undead?
150. What song with a great bass line was first released in 1977 by the band Talking Heads?
151. Alice Cooper covered this song “Feed my ________.”
152. Taylor Swift has a dark and dramatic break-up anthem titled what?
153. Finish the lyrics: “They’re creepy and they’re kooky/ Mysterious and spooky/ They’re all together ooky/ …”
“The Addams Family”
True or False Random Halloween Questions
Finally, have fun with these spooky and interesting true-or-false Halloween questions.
154. Halloween is thought to have originated in 4000 B.C.
155. The real Ichabod Crane actually did live in Sleepy Hollow, New York.
False- He lived on Staten Island.
156. Silly string is banned in California on Halloween.
157. The horror movie Psycho was the first American film ever to show a toilet flush on screen.
158. The original purpose of bobbing for apples on Halloween was fortune-telling.
True- It would specifically predict whom a woman would marry.
159. 25 million pounds of candy corn are made every year.
False- 35 million pounds
160. The United States holds the record for the largest pumpkin ever weighing in at almost 2,702 pounds.
False- This pumpkin was grown in Italy in 2021. (source)
161. That last year with a full moon on Halloween was 2020.
True- (and it makes sense!)
162. It is illegal in the state of Arkansas to dress up as a nun or priest on Halloween.
False- It is illegal in Alabama according to the law Section 13A-14-4.
163. According to Winston Churchill, while staying at the White House he saw the ghost of Abraham Lincoln.
164. Iowa is the state that produces the most pumpkins in the U.S. according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
False- It’s Illinois.
165. The most famous scenes of the movie Hocus Pocus were filmed in Salem, Massachusetts.
*See the full Hocus Pocus trivia game >>
Congratulations! You are now the ultimate Halloween trivia expert.
Next, check out this Halloween Bucket List to get the most out of this fun and spooky season.
Did you know we have even more trivia?
These are more of our readers’ favorites: