Words of encouragement for kids develop children’s confidence and outlook on life.
We want our kids to feel unstoppable.
But what if you did a mental rundown of everything you said to your kids today?
It’s not always easy to provide positive messages of support! Instead of hoping for the best, this kids list of words of encouragement can help shape your child’s inner voice.
“The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.”-Peggy O’Mara
Loving Words of Encouragement For Kids
When we remind our kids just how much we love them, we give them a boost of support. Start with these loving words of encouragement for kids.
1. I love you no matter what.
2. I can’t imagine life without you.
3. You make me smile.
4. You make my heart burst with happiness.
5. I’m proud of you.
6. I’m glad I’m your mom.
7. I will always support you.
8. I cherish you.
9. I adore you.
10. You make life more fun.
11. You are my sunshine.
12. You are a joy.
13. I’ve got your back.
14. I’m on your team.
15. There’s no one else on the planet like you.
16. I’m so glad you are mine.
17. I’m lucky to be your mom.
18. I remember when I first saw you and how much I already loved you.
19. I will always be here for you.
20. You can count on me.
Words Of Encouragement To Start The Day
Mornings can be hectic. Kids are tired, parents are rushed, and everyone has to get out the door. Use these phrases to help set a positive tone for the day.
21. Good morning, Sunshine!
22. Today is going to be a great day!
23. I am so glad we get to start our day together.
24. I’m so glad you are awake!
25. Rise and Shine! I love you!
26. The sun is up and ready for us!
27. Let’s get dressed for a great day!
28. I am smiling because I’m starting my day with you.
29. We have a great day ahead of us!
30. It’s ___________ (day of the week) and we get to ___________ (something your child enjoys).
31. We are almost to the weekend!
32. Today is a special day! (Tell your child why)
33. Together, we will make this a great day.
34. Breakfast will give us energy for a great start.
35. You get to choose what you have for breakfast!
36. Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey!
37. I’m glad you got a great sleep. Let’s gear up for a great day!
38. Time to conquer our day!
39. Every morning, we get a fresh start!
40. Take a deep breath. It’s a new day!
Motivating Words of Encouragement for Kids
Next, use these motivating messages for kids during sports, tests, or any other time they need a little boost.
41. You can do this!
42. You are capable.
43. I believe in you.
44. I am proud of you.
45. You do the right thing, even when no one is watching.
46. You never give up. Wow!
47. I love seeing how courageous you are.
48. You are brave.
49. You keep learning new things.
50. Keep being yourself.
Inspiring Words of Encouragement for Challenging Times
Use these inspiring words of encouragement when your child is struggling, sick, or having a bad day.
51. Tomorrow will be a better day.
52. We all make mistakes.
53. No one is perfect and that’s okay.
54. We learn from our mistakes and move on.
55. You are never alone. I am here.
56. You can always ask for help when you need it.
57. Handling difficult situations is hard. You are really figuring it out.
58. It’s okay to feel overwhelmed.
59. Let’s breathe together and get through this hard moment.
60. I can help.
61. Let’s talk about some solutions.
62. Let’s take a break and come back to this later.
63. Today was a hard day. Tomorrow will be easier.
64. You are handling this challenging situation so well.
65. You are strong enough to get through this.
66. We only have to be responsible for ourselves.
67. We can do hard things.
This is a friend’s favorite shirt! She wear it every Monday for her kids (and herself!)
68. Hard situations help us grow.
69. This will be worth it!
70. I am proud of how hard you are trying.
71. No matter what, I love you.
Encouragement Words For Gratitude
Thank you words of encouragement can remind us to express appreciation every day.
72. I am grateful for you today.
73. Thank you for contributing to our family.
74. Appreciate the little things because they add up.
75. I love how thoughtful you are.
76. Name something you see that you are thankful for.
77. Having gratitude makes us happier.
78. Today, let’s practice an attitude of gratitude.
79. Start today with a thankful heart.
80. Focus on all the good things in your life.
81. I am grateful for your thankful spirit.
82. Give thanks always.
Related: Gratitude Activities for Kids
Short Encouraging Words For Students
35% of students in North America have moderate, high, or severe test anxiety. (source)
Teachers and parents can use these short encouraging words for their students. The examples below will give them another perspective.
83. Keep trying!
84. You are working hard!
85. I see all you are doing.
86. I notice your effort.
87. Hard work is worth it.
88. You can push through this.
89. You are capable of greatness.
90. Relax and give your best.
91. Continue to be diligent and proactive.
92. This test does not define you.
93. Success will come.
94. Anything is possible.
95. Go for it.
96. You’ve got this!
97. You are prepared.
98. Take deep breaths and let calm in and anxiety out.
99. Take your time.
100. Doing your best is all that you need to do.
Funny Words of Encouragement For Children
Use these encouraging kids messages and funny sayings to lighten that mood and make everyone’s day better!
101. You are as quick as a cheetah!
102. You are as quiet as a mouse.
103. Your smile is like a ray of sunshine.
104. Don’t be moody! Shake your booty!
105. Your silliness even makes my heart laugh! Can you hear it?
106. A diamond is just a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
107. Turn that frown upside down!
108. Nothing is impossible. The word itself says “I’m possible!”
109. You are as silly as a goose.
Encouraging Words For Kindness
Navigating friendships and sibling relationships can be hard as a child.
Use these positive words of encouragement to remind your child to be kind. Lay the groundwork for a lifetime of positive relationships.
110. You show kindness to others.
111. You are a good friend.
112. Choose wise actions even when your emotions are big.
113. You cannot control anyone else.
114. Continue to treat others the way you want to be treated.
115. You are a kind brother (sister) because _________.
116. Good friends support and encourage each other.
117. Lift others up with your words.
118. All friends disagree sometimes.
119. We all need grace and forgiveness sometimes.
Promote a Growth Mindset With Encouraging Words
When kids have a positive growth mindset, they keep going. They know that it will help them learn and improve.
120. Your actions are powerful.
121. You grow every day.
122. You are learning so much.
123. Look at how far you have come!
124. Your ideas are worthwhile.
125. Your creativity is boundless.
126. You have improved so much at ___________.
127. You use a lot of problem-solving strategies.
128. Getting started is the hardest part.
129. I can see the amount of effort you put into this.
130. You aim to do well.
Positive Words For Kids To Build Confidence
We want our children to believe in themselves. Help them build their confidence with these encouraging messages for kids.
131. You can say no.
132. Be bold and assertive.
133. Stand up for yourself.
134. You are a positive leader.
135. I love how you see the world.
136. You are unstoppable.
137. You are stronger than you think.
138. I am so grateful to be your parent.
139. You are worthy.
140. I have faith in you.
141. We are all scared sometimes. Facing our fear makes us stronger.
142. Believe in yourself and you can conquer anything.
Related: Adversity Quotes For Kids & Adults
Encouraging Messages for Kids Suffering Loss
At some point, our kids will face death or loss of some type. Here are encouraging words you can use in the hardest of times.
143. This is a sad time and it’s okay to feel sad.
144. You lost someone (something) you loved and that’s hard.
145. I am here to listen or sit with you.
146. It’s okay to talk about how you feel.
147. We were really lucky to love ________. What are your favorite memories?
148. What could we do to honor the person (or pet) we lost?
149. Things may seem like they won’t get better right now. We will keep leaning on one another.
150. Feel safe expressing your emotions with me.
3 Expert Tips: Encouraging Words For Children
1. Be Specific
Be specific when using encouraging words when you can. Highlight the particular action or thing that your child did well at.
2. Be Genuine
Have you ever muttered a quick “Wow that’s neat!” without even looking at what your child is showing you?
I’m guilty as charged.
Be genuine in your praise. Your kids will know when you aren’t and your praise will start to have a less positive effect.
3. Encourage Effort Over Achievement
Remember with words of encouragement to focus on effort rather than achievement.
If you acknowledge their progress, they’ll continue to try – even when they don’t get the grade or other desired outcome.
Additional Ideas To Use Encouraging Messages For Kids
Finally, here are additional ways you can give your children lots of encouragement during their days.
Lunch Box Notes
Put encouraging notes for your kids in their lunch box. Write your own personalized note on a napkin and stick it in.
Or use these cute encouraging notes for kids.
Leave a note on your child’s pillow to find before they go to bed. They will go to sleep with a positive message rolling around in their mind.
Or leave an encouraging note outside their door that they can find it first thing in the morning.
Share a Journal
Here’s another great journal for moms and daughters to share.
Practice At Home
Model words of encouragement for your kids to practice with one another. Promote mutual support in your home!
Benefits of Encouraging Words For A Child
Inspiring messages influence our kids’ approach to life’s ups and down.
The right words of encouragement:
- Foster resilience and allow kids to bounce back from setbacks.
- Cultivate a growth mindset. They help kids embrace challenges and put in the necessary effort to achieve their goals.
- Boost self-esteem so they feel more confident and value themselves.
- Encourage effort to build perseverance and problem-solving skills.
Kids face a lot of challenges. Build up these traits now!
To Consider With Words of Encouragement for Kids
Our kids benefit from uplifting messages of encouragement on both good days and bad.
In fact, I can still hear my own mom’s voice in my head saying “The words we say should lift one another up.”
Proving that the way we speak to our children does indeed become their inner voice!
More Healthy Happy Impactful Kids posts you’ll love…
- Best Daily Routine Ideas for Kids
- Best Open Ended Questions for Kids & Teens
- Interesting Topics to Discuss with Your Kids
Have your kids join our Kids Reading Challenge this year!