Do you know you need a new hobby, but aren’t sure of which one? Have no fear, this list has the best hobby reading books for adults.
It explores everything from hobbies in the kitchen, to travel, to investing. There’s something for everyone. And you’ll be ignited by your new passion in no time!
Why Reading Books Is An Excellent Hobby
Before we get into the full list, reading books on its own can be an amazing hobby! Here’s why:
- It’s cheap.
- It opens you up to new worlds and perspectives
- It relieves stress
- It helps you sleep
- It opens you up to new ideas and opportunities
Find even more amazing reading stats and benefits >>
How to Start Reading As a Hobby
If you want to take up reading books as a hobby, check out our best books to start a reading habit list. You’ll find the most popular fiction reads there!
Find Your Hobby Reading Books
Now, looking for other hobbies? Here are 27 hobby books for when you don’t know what your hobby should be.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may earn a commission at no cost to you. See our disclaimer for more.
1. A Year of Weeks: 52 Awesome Weeks Of Trying New Things by Erica Root
Try out many different hobbies and ideas this year through this book. Each week offers a new challenge. Learn how to journal, draw, save money, and even rekindle your love of skating with 52 weeks of ideas.
You’ll find a hobby you are passionate about, plus enjoy learning new things.
In the Kitchen Hobby Reading Books
2. 100 Cookies: The Baking Book for Every Kitchen by Sarah Kieffer
*Featured in the New York Times, Food & Wine, Wall Street Journal, The Today Show and more!
Whether baking is a passion, a new hobby, or you just love cookies, this cookbook has delicious foolproof recipes to try.
From snickerdoodles to brownies, these reliable and anyone-can-do-it recipes will have everyone gathering in the kitchen to taste test.
3. How To Make The Best Coffee At Home by James Hoffmann
Do you wish you could make the perfect cup of coffee? How To Make The Best Coffee At Home will get you started.
Author and coffee guru John Hoffmann runs his own award-winning coffee roasting company and will tell you everything you need to know. Learn the basics of brewing to the best equipment you can use.
4. Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto [A Cookbook]
*My husband’s favorite!
If you are thinking about becoming a smoking or barbecue aficionado, this Franklin Barbecue book is a great buy.
The most celebrated pitmaster in the world shares his knowledge about truly great barbecue.
5. Platters and Boards: Beautiful, Casual Spreads for Every Occasion by Shelly Westerhausen Worcel
If you love to entertain or want to learn hosting tips, read this book. Step-by-step instructions show you how to make easy and delicious charcuterie boards.
Learn how to pair flavors and textures to present a beautiful spread for every occasion.
6. How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Great Beer Every Time by John J. Palmer
Explore a new hobby and learn how to brew your own beer! This book shows the steps, recipes, and effective techniques to be a master at brewing in no time.
7. Tasting History: Explore the Past Through 4,000 Years of Recipes by Max Miller
*Currently a New York Times Bestseller
Take a journey through food history with YouTube sensation, Max Miller. Recreate historical dishes from the past and learn the story behind each recipe.
History buffs that want to spend more time in the kitchen will be hooked on the photographs, stories, and recipes from around the world.
Books For Outdoor Hobbies List
These great hobby reading books will help you get into the sunshine and fresh air.
8. 100 Hikes of a Lifetime: National Geographic
This book is the ultimate hiker’s bucket list! Choose from beautiful scenic routes that will take your breath away. You’ll also find wisdom from expert hikers, motivation, and must-know traveling tips.
*This is a great active hobby to do with your family!
9. Beekeeping for Beginners: How To Raise Your First Bee Colonies by Amber Bradshaw
If you are looking for a new and unique hobby, this book is for you! Learn everything you need to know about starting your own bee colony for fun or for profit.
Bees are vital for sustaining our environment and this guide can help you get started safely and efficiently.
10. Digital Photography Complete Course: Learn Everything You Need to Know
In this book, learn how to create great digital photos by starting with the basics of how a camera works to editing images, and more. It teaches you everything in 20 weeks!
This is a great read for beginners who want to feel like a digital photography expert by the end.
11. Plants You Can’t Kill: 101 Easy-to-Grow Species for Beginning Gardeners by Stacy Tornio
Interested in gardening but aren’t sure you have a green thumb? This book will give you practical advice about resilient plants.
With over 100 vegetables, flowers, herbs, trees, shrubs, and even houseplants, you will become a seasoned gardener. And your plants will survive!
12. What It’s Like to Be a Bird: From Flying to Nesting, Eating to Singing by David Allen Sibley
One of a kind!
This book is delightful for both beginners and experienced bird watchers. It delves into what birds are doing and why they do what they do. It answers questions like:
- “Can birds smell?”
- “Is this the same cardinal that was at my feeder last year?”
- “Do robins ‘hear’ worms?”
See it here >>
13. Lonely Planet Epic Bike Rides of the Americas 1
Explore the most celebrated bike trails around! Epic Bike Rides features 200 of the best routes in North, Central, and South America. From epic nature trails to short urban explorations, you’ll love this book all about cycling!
Arts & Crafts Reading Hobby Books
These reading hobby books get your creative juices flowing in a satisfying way.
14. Homebody: A Guide to Creating Spaces You Never Want To Leave by Joanna Gaines
#1 New York Times Bestseller
Are you interested in home design? Let Joanna Gaines use her down-to-earth ideas and practical steps to help you embrace your style. And make your home uniquely yours.
Use the design template in the back of the book to sketch your own plans.
15. 365 Days of Drawing: Sketch and Paint Your Way Through The Creative Year by Lorna Scobie
Practice your drawing skills and spark your creative side with prompts on each page of this art journal. Enjoy getting creative every day with 365 Days of Drawing.
16. The Exquisite Book of Paper Flowers: A Guide to Making Unbelievable Realistic Paper Blooms by Livia Cetti
Make stylish tissue and crepe-paper flowers with this step-by-step guide for crafters of all levels. Learn how to combine your different flowers to make centerpieces, wreaths, corsages, and more.
17. Crochet For Beginners: A Complete Step-by-Step Guide to Learn Crocheting the Quick & Easy Way by Nancy Gordon
Related: Best Craft Books for Kids
18. Yoga Guide for Beginners: 101 Poses and Sequences for Strength, Flexibility, and Mindfulness by Melody White
Choose a new hobby that will improve your overall mental and physical health.
Yoga Guide For Beginners will give you the start you need and introduce you to yoga poses from beginner to advanced. Design your own sequences or use the ones in this book. Start today!
Thoughtful Hobby Reading Books
Check out these additional hobby ideas that will help you grow.
19. Investing QuickStart Guide: The Simplified Beginner’s Guide by Ted D. Snow
Do you want to learn more about investing?
Start now with this Investing QuickStart Guide and learn how investing can lead to early retirement and more financial freedom.
20. How to Play Chess for Beginners: The Ultimate Guide To Learning Chess From Scratch by Daniel Reese
Learn the basics of the game of chess. Start with how to set up the board and become familiar with the pieces. Then, learn how to think and strategize like a pro chess player with this comprehensive chess guide for beginners.
22. Zen as F*ck by Monica Sweeney
*A Surprising Reader Favorite!
Is regular journaling too mundane? Give this journal a try!
“The road to serenity is ahead, and it’s paved with a f*ck-ton of profanity. When quiet meditation and peaceful mantras aren’t enough to brighten your day―hold close the pages of this journal.” – Amazon
And if you are interested in journaling as a hobby, see:
- How to Start a Journal (For Beginners)
- Daily Gratitude Journal Prompts
- Self Loving & Discovery Journal Prompts
23. Beginner’s Step-by-Step Coding Course: Learn Computer Programming the Easy Way by DK
*An in-demand skill
Whether you are coding for fun or for extra cash, this book covers three popular code languages and teaches the essential skills to improve your knowledge.
With tutorials in each chapter, you will be designing websites, games, and apps in no time.
24. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
*The book that inspired the hit Netflix series Tidying Up with Marie Kondo
It’s a small book that promises big changes. And it’s been popular for years because of the way people connect and transform after reading it.
Related: Most Empowering Women’s Books
25. Mind Your Business: A Workbook to Grow Your Creative Passion Into a Full-time Gig by Ilana Griffo
*A book for turning your hobby into a business
Mind Your Business is a comprehensive guide to help you build a side hustle as a hobby, and even make that hobby into your full-time gig. It covers things like branding, design, and identifying your tax needs.
26. Destinations of a Lifetime: 225 of the World’s Most Amazing Places
*For the wanderlust in all of us!
Make traveling a hobby with this reading book! You’ll find the best destinations for your bucket list. And you’ll be inspired to plan your next getaway pronto.
27. Hobby Reading Activity Books That Challenge You
And finally, don’t forget all of the activity books out there that make great hobbies, but also keep your brain sharp.
To Consider With Hobby Reading Books
We hope you loved these excellent reading hobby books for different areas! What will be your next passion? Leave a comment and let us know!
Look here to find the Best Reading Journal to accompany your new hobby reading book.