I’m so glad it’s spring! It’s been donkey years since we’ve been outside! And I’m ready to have a whale of a time this St. Patrick’s Day!
Did you get all that? I’m proud if you did.
I checked out a little Irish slang, and I got a good chuckle. I’ll be using donkey years (a long time) now for the rest of my life.
There’s more to this day than wearing green!
Make Some Healthy Green Food
1. I try to make healthy green muffins for the kids. I’m always looking for recipes that use a veggie instead of food coloring to make them green. I’ll be testing out these muffins this year (in the picture)! The kids have also gobbled up this recipe in the past.
I mix a little pesto into some eggs before I cook them as well. In no time we have healthy green eggs and muffins!
2. To have even more fun with food, try a green food taste test! This is such a cute way to get picky eaters to try new healthy foods!
3. We love our Mam’s corned beef and cabbage. We all look forward to a traditional Irish meal at grandma and grandpa Kropf’s house every year. Ruebens are another fun idea!
4. If you’re a beer enthusiast, trying a few Irish beers with friends would be fun! Just watch out for “the fear”! It’s what they call the next morning. Haha! For more interesting Irish slang check out this site. I spent way too much time there.
Send The Kids on a Treasure Hunt
3. Every year I do a simple search on Pinterest for a scavenger hunt for the kids. It’s fun and I can make the hidden spots easy or difficult. And because I’m lazy, I’ve used the same one for the last three years!
4. The final prize for the hunt is always a few coupons that I quickly make or print. I like the idea of giving them something special without junk food or knick-knacks. We get plenty of that at other times of the year. My favorite printed coupons are from HERE. Usually, the coupons are for 30 minutes of extra TV, a later bedtime, or an extra hot lunch at school.
Make A Leprechaun Trap
5. I threw this one in because I know my son will be in heaven. It’s going to be our Family Night activity this week! I wonder where I could find a tiny leprechaun man to pretend he got trapped inside?
Have fun overloading on green this weekend! What are your favorite St Patrick’s Day traditions? Do you have a fun way to celebrate the luck o’ the Irish?