What is a good first book for a baby?
Find the best baby shower books that make amazing gifts. These are great for before the baby is born, newborn gifts, and one year old birthdays.
Plus, they help build libraries for babies to use for years to come. These sweet books make them feel special and help them learn too!
Pro Tip: Write a heartfelt note on the inside of the cover for a keepsake your baby will treasure as they grow!
Best Baby Shower, Sprinkle, & Newborn Books
1. On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
*Best book for new baby gifts
Celebrate your unique, beautiful, specially-made baby by reading a book about the one and only YOU. Amazingly illustrated, On the Night You Were Born makes the perfect birthday gift!
2. Welcome Little One by Sandra Magsamen
*A cute beginner’s book for babies (makes a great gift!)
Rhythmic and simple, babies enjoy listening as they read about the love of a parent. This board book makes an amazing keepsake as it includes a page to write birth information.
3. Oh, Baby, the Places You’ll Go! by Tish Rabe
*An introduction to the world of Dr. Seuss—for babies and babies-to-be!
A must-have book for expectant parents and new babies!
Lyrical and artful, this children’s book introduces little ones to the fun and famous characters of Dr. Suess. It briefly describes the importance of sounds even when the baby is in utero!
4. The Little Girl Who Lost Her Name
*Customize to your baby’s name
The child in this book goes on an adventure and meets mystical creatures on the journey. But the cool thing is that the story is based on the letters of your child’s name. So, every story is different. How unique!
(Find the The Boy Who Lost His Name here)
5. Goodnight Little Me (1-Year-Old Baby Books)
*Another popular personalized book!
Goodnight Little Me puts the baby’s name on the cover, in the story, and even in the illustrations. It has sweet lyrics that will lull your baby to sleep as you settle in for the night.
6. My First Library by Wonder House Books
*Makes a great newborn or 1 year old gift
This comprehensive board book set gives you all the essentials in one place! Explore basic learning topics and everyday objects with your toddler using vivid pictures.
Related: Great Stocking Stuffers for Babies
7. Disney Baby Mickey Mouse, Minnie, Toy Story and More! – My First Library 12 Board Book Set – First Words, Shapes, Numbers, and More!
Little ones love the small board books (great for little hands) and the bright colorful pictures of their favorite Disney characters. With 12 books to complete their library, they’ll be introduced to counting, colors, shapes, feelings, foods, and more!
It also comes with a convenient carrying case.
8. I Love You To The Moon and Back by Amelia Hepworth
A sweet story of how a parent’s love for their child is bigger than what the eye can see. With a personalization page included, I Love You To The Moon And Back is the perfect gift for a baby shower or first birthday.
9. Grandma Wishes by Julia Lobo (Baby Shower Books)
This is a heartwarming story that uses animals and beautiful illustrations to show the special kind of love between a child and a grandparent.
Grandma Wishes and an owl stuffie would make an adorable gift!
10. The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin
With whimsical illustrations and flowing rhymes, children and parents alike enjoy the never-ending possibilities of the future. Explore all the hopes and dreams parents have for their children in the New York Times Best Seller.
11. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
Love You Forever is an anthem for every parent to read to their child. Watch as one mother holds, cares for, and loves her baby unconditionally as he grows into an adult. Even when he drives her crazy.
12. Dr. Seuss’s Beginner Book Collection (Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish, Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Pop, Fox in Socks)
Inspire a love for reading while they’re young! These beginner books by Dr. Seuss are all mega popular and colorfully engaging. By snagging the set, you’ll have all of the favorites in one place.
13. Be Brave Little One by Marianne Richmond
*Another excellent baby shower books gift!
Encourage your kids to go through life brave, knowing they are loved. This story has a cheerful and inspiring message for your growing young one.
14. I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti Shustak
This book has such gentle and sweet rhyming text.
Read from the reader’s point of view. And your little one will feel like every word is straight from your heart to theirs. It is about all the parts of a child we love, from their “hair and eyes” to their “giggles and cries.”
15. Babies Love Colors by Michelle Rhodes-Conway
It’s never too early to introduce your baby to all the colors of the rainbow! This cheerful board book (with easy-to-lift flaps) will be a favorite in your home library.
16. Where is Baby’s Belly Button: A Lift-A-Flap Book by Karen Katz
Enjoy playing peek-a-boo with your little one using this delightful lift-a-flap board book!
17. Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book by Karen Katz
It’s a kiss AND count board book! Who doesn’t want that?!
Kiss along as you read and your little one lifts the flaps. Watch your baby light up at the fun!
18. The Ants Go Marching by Priscilla Burris
*Count and sing book
This little board book features the beginning of The Ants Go Marching song, and was a HUGE hit when my kids were little. Both grownups and parents enjoyed getting the book out to sing.
Related: Using it as a holiday gift? Try these free printable Christmas tags too.
19. Harold and the Purple Crayon 2 Book Set by Crockett Johnson
*Inspires imagination and fun as they grow!
Featuring Harold and The Purple Crayon + Harold’s ABC! Follow along as Harold discovers new adventures and learns the alphabet! The best part is that Harold makes it up as he goes. So, every page is a new surprise.
20. Nuby Bath Fun Time Book with Water-Proof Pages and Surprise Squeaker
*Best Price for a budget
A bath book with bright pictures and fun sea creatures.
Next, don’t miss out on the best books for kids as they age:
- Best Books for 1 Year Olds
- Best Books for 2 Year Olds
- Best Books for 3 Year Olds
- Best Books for 4 Year Olds