Self care ideas for women are so important! Why?
Because we all get’em. NO GOOD. HORRIBLE. VERY BAD DAYS.
Those days when you’d rather crawl back into bed than face responsibilities. Jeez, no one ever told you there would be so many!
What is Self Care?
Self-care is the intentional act of caring for yourself.
As women, often our job is to take care of everyone else. And dang, we’re pretty good at it too. But this leads to more stress and burnout. And in our fast-paced world, if you don’t make self-care a priority, it doesn’t happen.
So, stop, relax, and recharge regularly to be your best.
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my disclaimer for more info.
Pro Tip: Grab a pen and a piece of paper. While you read, make your self care ideas list to put on the fridge!
Easy Ideas for Women Self Care
These are perfect self care ideas at home. And a few help you branch out to other places too!
1. Sip a comforting cup of herbal tea (Soothing Caramel Bedtime is delicious!)
2. Empower yourself with positive affirmations.
3. Write 10 things you are grateful for
5. Treat your skin to a face mask
6. Breathe deeply
7. Do yoga poses
10. Walk in nature
11. Buy yourself flowers
12. Write 5 things you love about yourself
15. Declutter 10 items
16. Read a personal growth book
17. Go for a long walk
18. Get a massage
19. Do something that makes you laugh
20. Plan a getaway
21. Stretch to relieve tension
22. Watch your favorite show
23. Have a night with friends
24. Do a brain dump
25. Go out on a date night
26. Do something for the first time (like try a new restaurant or skill)
27. Give yourself (or get) a manicure
28. Call or text someone you love
29. Light your favorite candle
30. Listen to your favorite podcast
31. Spend time with someone who inspires you
32. Cook your favorite meal
33. Plan a spa day
34. Do a digital detox
35. Eat a salad or smoothie
36. Get out in the sunshine
37. Go to your favorite place
38. Take some pretty photos
39. Listen to your favorite music
40. Hug someone
41. Drink a full glass of water
43. Put on nice clothes and makeup
44. Watch a motivational Ted Talk
45. Watch the sunrise
46. Refresh your morning routine
47. Change your sheets
48. Diffuse quality essential oils
49. Do something nice for someone
50. Go out for a coffee
Want to keep the first 50 handy? Get the free pdf below!
Along with other totally cool stuff in the library!
Unique Self-Care Ideas For Women
Remember, self-care activities work differently for every woman. Pedicures may be the ultimate relaxation for your friend, but you can’t stand them. So, pick and choose according to your needs and personality. Then, ignore the rest!
51. Learn a new card/board game
52. Plan ideas for a self care day
53. Work on a puzzle
54. Color in an adult coloring book
55. Do something that makes you happy
57. Donate to a cause
58. Put up photos of loved ones in your home (or on your phone)
59. Go on a picnic
60. Plant something
62. Listen to an audiobook
63. Give yourself (or get) a pedicure
64. Sleep with a weighted blanket
65. Enjoy a piece of creative art (painting, movie, theater, dance, etc.)
66. Reach for a healthy snack
67. Plan or go on a lunch date (then pay for your friend)
68. Get take-out for dinner
70. Send a surprise card or care package to someone
71. Try a foam roller for increased blood flow and self-massage
72. Do something physical for 30 minutes to wear yourself out
73. Bake an indulgent treat
74. Buy something fresh at the farmer’s market
75. Make yourself a fancy cocktail or coffee
Free Self Care Activities
These self-care ideas for women cost absolutely nothing. And aren’t those the best kind?!
76. Go somewhere just to people watch
77. Ask someone for help
78. Watch a YouTube video about styling your hair or makeup differently
79. Establish a comforting night routine
80. Read an inspirational book for women
81. Sing to your favorite song
82. Watch the clouds or stars
83. Plan a family night
85. Get out into nature
86. Go on a bike ride
87. End your shower on cold
88. Sign up to volunteer
89. Re-arrange a room in your home
91. Talk to someone about your challenges (friend, parent, therapist, etc.)
92. Watch a sunset
93. Tidy up one small space (desk, drawer, etc.)
94. Read a magazine at a bookstore or library
95. Unfollow toxic people on social media (or do a full social media detox)
96. Take a nap
97. Start a worry list to get things out of your head
98. Do something playful with your kids (or someone else’s kids)
99. Go a day without checking your email/messages
100. Do something creative (paint, draw, write, etc.)
Top Self Care Ideas for Busy Moms
Carving the time to care for yourself is essential for busy moms.
101. Try a new recipe that you will enjoy
102. Meet a friend for brunch
103. Get a haircut or blowout
104. Connect with a church or spiritual group
105. Go out for ice cream (take the fam and get out of the regular routine!)
106. Stay at a hotel for a night alone
107. Get a babysitter
108. Refresh your own wardrobe
109. Browse your favorite store
110. Take a break and sit down (no multi-tasking)
111. Wake up 15 minutes earlier for a distraction-free and HOT cup of coffee
112. Clear your family’s schedule for a day
113. Take time for self care hobbies
114. Share and play self care bingo with your own mom
115. Eat on paper plates (for a night off of washing the dishes)
116. Hire someone to finish a house project
117. Cuddle with your kids or pets
118. Skip an activity you have planned and rest instead
119. Say “no” to something someone asks you to add to your schedule
120. Buy your favorite dessert and enjoy it after the kids go to bed
What do women need for self-care?
Not as much as you’d think!
Dr. Danielle Kelvas, MD, says “media would have you believe that weight loss, exercise, and a nice skincare routine will make you happy. The truth is that going for quiet walks in the woods, spending time with other women, and getting ample rest is the best thing you can do for weight loss, hormone imbalances, and your mental health.”
Need a push? Try this 30 Day Self-Care Challenge!
Self-Care Ideas for Today
What 5-10 self care activities can you have ready when you need an uplift?
Keep this list on the fridge, your phone, or on a notecard in your wallet. Either way, you’ll be ready with your self-care ideas when you need them!
Here are the top 5 on my self care ideas list:
- Take a walk on a nearby trail
- Make a cup of tea
- Read a fun book
- Meditate (or just sit and breathe)
- Meet up with friends (even if it’s just for a quick walk!)
And here’s a video explaining more top ideas too!
More on How to Use This List
If you’d love to incorporate them into your weekly routine, try this free weekly self care printable!
Self Care Ideas Are Important Things to Do
Remember, self-care is a necessity, not a luxury. So, don’t wait until you’re falling apart on the inside.
Instead, think of your wellness activities as non-negotiable appointments with yourself. When someone asks if you’re busy, YOU ARE.
Your overall health is the ace in your deck of cards. It’s that important!
So, pick one each day for the next week. Or create an amazing self-care routine. Then, observe how much better you feel! 🙂
***Don’t forget the free self-care ideas pdf HERE!
Other helpful mental health resources…
- Create A Self Care Checklist To Be Healthy, Happy, & Impactful
- List of Daily Life-Changing Habits to Start
- 9 Daily Habits To Create More Happiness